Leather handcuffs?

This is the place where you can share your thoughts on selfbondage with like minded people.
salvation

Leather handcuffs?

Post by salvation »

I'm considering getting a pair of leather wrist cuffs, but I'm not completely sure if they are what I'm looking for. Are they strong enough? Should I get cuffs that are padded on the inside? Until now, I always used metal cuffs because of their strength, but nasty marks and nerve compression issues when wearing them for a longer period of time made me looking for something more comfortable.

My biggest question is whether a pair of leather bondage cuffs are strong enough. Cuffs like these (note that they are lockable) http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/4492/vf230ae7.jpg certainly look nice, but I somehow feel that I would be able to rip them apart or undo them in a different way :wink:

What are your experiences? Maybe there are other alternatives besides rope?
cdinbonds

Post by cdinbonds »

Strong enough for what? Leather is amazingly strong, so unless you're the hulk, you won't rip them apart (unless the stitching is real crap).
Padding is a personal choice, I didn't pad the ones I made, and they are comfortable enough to wear for days at a time (literally)
Also, the one's pictured are lockable (with small padlocks through the buckles)
There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
AbsoluteBeginner

Post by AbsoluteBeginner »

I purchaed my pair approximately three weeks ago and I am fully satisfied. I use two small padlocks for the buckles. That gives me more flexibility - there are 4 padlocks, opening one of them leads to one hand being free, after that it is easy to get the other hand free.

Just my $ 0.02,

the AbsoluteBeginner
Amy_Tenchi

Post by Amy_Tenchi »

I've always liked the look and feel to them, unfortunately I need to put padding on mine. :(

Make sure that you aren't (allergic?) that you don't get a reaction from sweat between the leather bands and your wrists. I discovered this as a high school gothic, with the leather studded wristlettes and necklaces. I hand-sewn pieces of fabric between the leather and my skin to fix this.

Just putting the 'warning' out there :D :D

Have fun with them!
-Missing In Action-
--May or May Not Return--
AbsoluteBeginner

Post by AbsoluteBeginner »

My wrist cuffs are made of rubber, I have no problems with them.
I don't know if I can get rubber cuffs for the ankles, too.

However, I am a little attached to the idea of quick emergency exists, so if I would show some allergic reaction, I should be free after less than a minute. However, as not everyone is that attached to emergency exit solutions, here is something that anyone can do to avoid problems:

I tend to wear the cuffs for several minutes before the last 'click'. I put the cuffs on first, then I do the rest of the preparations (setting up the urine shower canister, fixing the standard release to the ceiling e.t.c. ). If it is an extreme allergic reaction, it should (hopefully) occur quickly after putting the cuffs on.

Greetings,
the AbsoluteBeginner
Amy_Tenchi

Post by Amy_Tenchi »

AbsoluteBeginner wrote: I tend to wear the cuffs for several minutes before the last 'click'. I put the cuffs on first, then I do the rest of the preparations (setting up the urine shower canister, fixing the standard release to the ceiling e.t.c. ). If it is an extreme allergic reaction, it should (hopefully) occur quickly after putting the cuffs on.
Beginner brings up a very good point, that wearing them for a time without locking them, or something to that effect, should bring up the reaction before they're locked-down shut. 8)

Setting up makes the blood pump, heat in the wrists and ankles (which are now enclosed) rise slightly, and can sometimes form sweat on the ankles/wrists. Yet another great idea from you beginner (in my honest opinion) :D :D :D
-Missing In Action-
ponylady

Post by ponylady »

hmmmmh,

i have never heard about about anyone having an allergic reaction to leather.

this is dead organic material. you can have an reaction to residues from the chemicals used during processing the skin, or maybe to the chemicals used for coloring the skin, but to the material itself the odds of an allergic reaction would be astronomical.

@ amy: what you described were probably allergic reactions, caused by the sweat and rivets using nickel-based alloys, which is a common allergy.
*guess why most piercing jewellry is made of stainless steel*. especially
if those gothic bracelets were of the cheap variety, you can bet they contained nickel.
Amy_Tenchi

Post by Amy_Tenchi »

I know i am definitely allergic to nickel. but the points didn't stick all the way through. The choker also had good-metal snaps in the front and bugged the back of my neck just as much. Thats why I'm not so sure...
-Missing In Action-
Toszum

Post by Toszum »

Hi Ami,

from what you describe I doubt that it would be an allergic reaction. It might just be, that your skin is quite sensitive around your neck.
Thus it wouldn't be an allergic reaction. But rather an irritation of your skin that is caused by the sweat and the scuffing leather.
KinkyMonkey

Post by KinkyMonkey »

Hi i didn't want to create a new topic but does anyone have advice for me too. I am buying some new leather/rubber cuffs but i also don't really know what's what. I currently have metal ones which im not too keen on.

All the affordable ones i look at online don't have locks. I just wondered if i bought these would i be able to easily add a lock to them or should i buy proper locking ones. im willing to spend a maximum of £20 so if anyone has a link to some good ones i would be grateful. I have more to spend but im buying other things as well so if you found a really good set of things i would spend more.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

If they have buckles, you can put a small padlock on it to prevent it from being undone.

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!