A little debate!!! =)

This is the place where you can share your thoughts on selfbondage with like minded people.
Riley

A little debate!!! =)

Post by Riley »

I'd like to pose the question,

which do you prefere and why???

a) Chains
b) Ropes
c) Handcuffs

Just thought we could have a little debate/chit chat on this??

Riley
Allways up for more!!
Nuclearo

Post by Nuclearo »

Well, to start things off I must say I enjoy rope the most. It's the most versatile, best looking (in my opinion) and isn't too rough on your skin.

I feel chains are only really good when you use leather cuffs or steel shackles, and handcuff are only good because they're useful for quick capture or for truly inescapable self bondage that can be easily set on a time release. Still, despite these benefits, rope has so many possibilities, even if you only have 2 or 3 pieces. You can also wear a rope harness under your clothes all day without people noticing, something impossible with handcuffs and very difficult with chains with all the rattling.
Amy_Tenchi

Post by Amy_Tenchi »

Rope is great because its so universal. Cut it, tie it, chuck it out in end (if it's cheap and wrecked) I personally had an instance that it was great to have rope and throw it out, no questions were asked either (art student gets away with everything)

I really love chain though. I used thin chain with padlocks, and there is nothing else like it. Its a fetish of mine, I'll admit, which is why I love it so much. When you use chain to lock things, it doesn't give or tighten, and unless its really flimsy and cheap, it doesn't really break. Though, in an emergency, that thin stuff isn't bad, you can pull really hard and break it off. (accidentally broke a chain on my jeans, bought at hot topic)

As for handcuffs...I haven't gotten myself a decent pair. But the rare stories of something going wrong and either putting them on backwards or tightening mid-way has scared me far from it. Besides, in my opinion, ropes and chains in the garage/attic, are going to get less questions then a set of handcuffs. In fact, I think the home-owners here have chains in there shed...
-Missing In Action-
--May or May Not Return--
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

I prefer rope. Not only is it nice on the skin, one can also work some artistic ties to make the bondage look gorgeous - Shibari is just such an art that not only secures the subject, but also creates a work of art. And white rope on black stockings is just absolutely scrumptious.

Chains are practical with padlocks, and are very safe. But it just doesn't have the romantic appeal of rope.

Handcuffs are not my particular preference. Too many things to go wrong, and when they do go wrong, it's in a very bad way and very quickly. The problem I have with handcuffs is that it is a mechanism with a lot of parts (I saw how they are made on How It's Made). I know there are some that are going to argue their own points about the safe way to lock handcuffs, but still, I am avoiding them.

Rope, rope, and more rope makes Jenny a happy lady.

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Grinser

Post by Grinser »

bound_jenny wrote:And white rope on black stockings is just absolutely scrumptious.
Sure is. As is black rope on fair skin. Some days ago I came across a silky-looking rope the color of red vine, also very beautiful.

Well, for tight bondage with the intention of restraining somebody, rope is definitely the thing. Looks nice, feels nice and a good rope can be cinched tight without causing too much pressure if done right.
For "mobile" restraints on the other hand, I prefer leather cuffs and chains, because 1) they can be locked on and will thus stay on even if the sub can reach the restraints and 2) to be honest it´s easier to restrain somebody in a way that will allow them to keep some mobility with chans&cuffs than with rope.
So, for punishment, for a teasing session or for sex, ropes do the trick with me, but for the stuff that goes more into power-exchange, like having a sub wash the dishes while restrained or having her sleep in restraints, chains allow for more possibilities.
There is a beast inside man that should be exercised, not exorcised.
AbsoluteBeginner

Post by AbsoluteBeginner »

Chains with padlocks and leather or rubber cuffs.

The cuffs can be put on while not being in bondage, you can carefully lock them (with a small padlock) in a way that you can't escape but without being too tight.

Lots of ways for release methods (Key for padlocks, ice locks, some parts of the restraining with rope for emergency exits....).

In my opinion the safest method if you want to restrain yourself so that you can't escape as long as you do your homework.

Greetings,
the AbsoluteBeginner
Sam-Ho

Post by Sam-Ho »

Rope. I doubt even my strength is enough to break a chain link in an emergency, unless if I replaced one of the links with copper, this goes both for chain and handcuffs. Even then it would take considerable strength for me to break the copper link, something I doubt I'd have after hours of SB. As others said, rope also looks very nice, and I simply like the feel of the rope across my skin :D
The slave learns to love the lash. Add me!
SouthBoundBelle

Post by SouthBoundBelle »

I'm on board with Jenny. Rope is so sexy, and it feels and looks wonderful. Since most of my stockings are black, I whole heartedly agree with the white rope on black stockings visual. I have one set of leather cuffs and I haven't used them in forever. A little inexpensive clothesline goes a long way. :twisted:

Dinah
Of all the fetishes in the world, I believe I like most of them.
Grinser

Post by Grinser »

Sam-Ho wrote:Rope. I doubt even my strength is enough to break a chain link in an emergency, unless if I replaced one of the links with copper
Check out the hardware store, they usually have chains with links that are not welded closed. Even my girl managed to bend them open while I was tickling her, and although she does a lot of sports, she still is very petite.
KinkyMonkey

Post by KinkyMonkey »

I'd have to say rope as well. it really does look and feel nice when it's used well and it's obviously an excellent versatile restraint. Chains and cuffs are best used when you want to make a bit of a "no-way-out atmosphere", as they have a cold dungeon-like feel. without the key, there's no getting out. whereas you can always cut rope.
goddessloviatar

Post by goddessloviatar »

Chains and handcuffs all the way for me! I like both the look and the noise, plus that added inescapability factor. Rusty or dirty chains are even better for getting that oppressive atmosphere too!
Sam-Ho

Post by Sam-Ho »

Grinser wrote:
Sam-Ho wrote:Rope. I doubt even my strength is enough to break a chain link in an emergency, unless if I replaced one of the links with copper
Check out the hardware store, they usually have chains with links that are not welded closed. Even my girl managed to bend them open while I was tickling her, and although she does a lot of sports, she still is very petite.
Not my chain :P. The chain I have I know will not be bent open, even if they weren't welded shut. I'd know, as I made them myself :D. The chain links that can be bent open are probably cast, linked up, and welded. Escape aside, the chain doesn't have the same feel as rope, unless if someone sandblasted them for the surface to be rough, lol.
The slave learns to love the lash. Add me!
Grinser

Post by Grinser »

Well, that´s why I said to check out the chains at the hardware store, as they can be broken.
misQui
Retired Moderator

Post by misQui »

I'm a ropes person. I like the snugness and the way they feel when you pull against them. I've also posted before about how you can use handcuffs (or similar) to lock a rope bind so it is completely inescapable, allowing the same waiting-for-the-key experience as metal bondage but with the feel of rope. And you don't have to cut your beloved ropes. :D
JIMDINI

Post by JIMDINI »

Rope when I have the time to idulge.
But handcuffs for short sessions
Never confuse your ambitions with your abilities. If you can't free yourself, who will?
When your helpless, you have no choice but to wait.