Sleeping limbs

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
Konsba

Sleeping limbs

Post by Konsba »

Does anyone know how long it is safe to have a sleeping limb (foot or hand)? By that I mean the numbness and loss of feeling, which is followed by the pins and needles sensation when it reverses. As far as I know, it is not caused by lack of circulation, but rather by pressure on nerves.

I often wake up in the middle of the night with a sleeping hand or arm and have to roll over and suffer the pins and needles for a bit while it recovers. That makes me think the limb must have been in such a condition for quite some time before waking up.

Why I ask is that sometimes my limbs start falling asleep while in self-bondage. If it's my hands I combat it as much as possible, especially if my release method relies on me using my fingers to unlock something (where total loss of feeling would be catastrophic). But I recently did a scenario where I laid on my back while my feet hung in cuffs suspended from above. They lost feeling and were asleep for about half an hour. Once released, they recovered quickly.
Shannon SteelSlave

Re: Sleeping limbs

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

Your body will do strange things when asleep, but having a limb raised higher than the heart can cause a slow circulation. If the temperature goes low enough, the hypothalamus may cut off circulation to parts of the body in order to maintain a core temperature. Fingers, toes, hands, feet, legs, arms, it has a selfish way of deciding that they are not necessary to survive hypothermia.
Hope I am on the right track.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

For self-bondage, I am extremely leery of limbs going to sleep on me; don’t know if it is circulation, nerve pressure, or nerve damage as the source. Only one of those possibilities is probably safe. The other two may cause permanent damage. The circulation issue may cause permanent loss of life and I would prefer to keep that as long as possible.

While sleeping, the body will intentionally reduce circulation and nerve activity to allow for the required rest cycle. Also, the nerves may end up with some pressure that is safe, but does interfere with their normal functioning. The brain subconsciously monitors the limbs during sleep and will move them around and adjust circulation to prevent damage. Sometimes, upon waking, a person’s body takes a little bit longer to wake up than the brain expects so the person’s mind completes its waking process faster than some of the body does so the person notices it. These are all safe and normal.

While bound, the brain and body are restricted from operating normally. If this happens to cause the perception of parts going to sleep, not only does the person not know the reason behind this, but also the body’s natural ability to move things around to prevent damage fails to operate. Please understand that this is dangerous and should be completely avoided.

Body parts falling asleep is one of the important reasons for having an emergency release method available. It is also the reason why I have medical restraints which are excellent for protecting the person from harm. I have to struggle really hard against them and then remove them quickly to even see any temporary skin discoloration. Even then, the skin color returns to normal before I can finish removing the ankle cuffs.

Be safe and have fun.
Resident timer maker. :hi:
Let’s make timers together!
KinkInSpace

Post by KinkInSpace »

When a limp falls asleep, the nerves are pinched. Nerves can go like this for far longer than having the blood flow restricted.

If you restrict the bloodflow itself, bodyparts will turn pale, red, purple and eventually die.

The time for a bodypart to die, is somewhere between 2 to 8 hours.

If you have a somewhat strict bondage, keep in mind that, while the nerves may lose their feelings, your limb will have inner arteries and blood vessels that will still work. They will keep the bodypart warm, supply it with oxygen and detoxify it, which is what is required to keep it alive.

As long as that is working correctly, there's no problem.

That said, if we talk about hands and/or feet, even without nerves and a body part falling asleep as a result would not be in any danger of losing that bodypart, you may need its function to escape. For example, if you have a tight bondage and lose feeling in your feet and at some point no longer can stand on it, you may not be able to stand on your feet when you need to in order to get out.

Not being able to stand correctly may also change your stance into a different one where blood circulation is actually stopped, turning it into an actual danger.

Same for your hands. You may need to use your hands to untie something and with them asleep that will not be possible.
Keep in mind that when the rope has tightened enough for a substantial amount of time, it will not magically loosen, which you would require in order to add time to your hands to recover and get feeling back.

Because it is unpredictable in selfbondage whether you can or cannot escape with numb limbs, it is highly recommended to have a backup release, preferably of a human kind that will come at the 2 hour mark.

So if you really want to do a session like this, plan for a 1 hour session at most and have someone come to your house at the 4 hour mark, preferably someone who can take you to a medical facility in case your body reacts differently and the 4 hours were too much.

At the 1 hour mark, you get out of the session and call off your backup release. Humiliation spared.

But even now, I would say: its far safer to play with someone and let them monitor you. They can look at the coloration of your limps and keep the session within safe limits and look at how you react the whole time, ensuring you get a safe recovery.

See also: https://biology.stackexchange.com/quest ... hout-blood
Formally known as Slave_L.
I'm not yet very comfortable expressing my love for kink from my private life. I will therefor hide behind my username KinkInSpace and not allow any connections to who I really am. I'm sure you'll understand.