Forum downtime

News and announcements will be posted here.
anna
Site Admin

Forum downtime

Post by anna »

Hi all! :hi: I hope you are all well, safe and mostly sane.

This forum might experience an extended downtime on 26-10-2023. at around mid day. If all goes well it is expected to return again before 27-10-2023 if things do not go well it might take a lot longer, up to infinity. Some minor adjustments will be attempted.

Getting severe errors if if trying to access the site is normal during this time.

Stated time is in CET, Central European Time.
A glass of water longing for the ocean.
Gregovic

Re: Forum downtime

Post by Gregovic »

Fingers crossed for the site safely returning. Good luck everyone! See you on the other side
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

:shock:
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Time to hunker down and weather the storm. I'll stock up on snacks and bottled water.

Hope, pray, cross fingers or whatever floats your boat that the forum will be back sooner rather than later, but sooner or later is a damn sight better than never. Unemployed moderators get paid even less than when they're working... :wink:

Here's to hoping the server folks do a miracle and bring this place back to life better than ever. We built this place.

I would be very sad if it would be lost forever. :(

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

We are back, please consider this to be in beta until we know that it actually works. Save anything important you write here for the next days if we need to revert back the database.

Thanks all for your great expressions of support both here and in email. This has been a real fight. Please report any error or strangeness you find ASAP in this thread.
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

Round of applause for Anna and her server wranglers. Upgrading to a spiffy new phpBB version must have taken some doing. The database that stores all the posts usually doesn't like it.
KinkInSpace

Post by KinkInSpace »

Ah, I missed the announcement.

So, sorry that I sent the email out. Understand everything now. All seems to be working, and I'm very very VERY happy, that there now is a mark all as read on the Unread posts page (which you can find in the Quick Links menu at the top left. I bookmarked that page so I can always go there in one click as that used to be possible before. :)

One thing I found that is not working correctly: Posts containing images will have a working link, but not a working thumbnail.
Kinbaku

Post by Kinbaku »

I also missed the announcement, but they added some new cool stuff inside the new BoundAnna (like Notifications beside Private messages).
Some posts from the last days that contain messages with images have the message that the images not excist anymore. Should they re-upload the images or should we wait a little longer?
Thanks for the new version of BoundAnna in so a short time.
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

KinkInSpace wrote: 27 Oct 2023, 22:03 One thing I found that is not working correctly: Posts containing images will have a working link, but not a working thumbnail.
The image issue is known and I have no idea what is causing it. Some images will be linked and some images will be missing. The images are all there in the system exactly as they were. I do not quite understand what is causing it to fail.
kinbaku wrote: 27 Oct 2023, 22:33 I also missed the announcement
It was a very short advance warning due to me not knowing when I could start such a big project.
kinbaku wrote: 27 Oct 2023, 22:33 Should they re-upload the images or should we wait a little longer?
It is only me here doing this hacking operation by myself, mostly by finding out what does not work. :facepalm: No more images will be added, they are all there.
Shannon SteelSlave

I think you already know I'm on board with keeping the lights on. I am as motivated as I was, but much wiser now. I went from
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (9.93 KiB) Viewed 2656 times
in 2019
images.jpg
images.jpg (10.19 KiB) Viewed 2654 times
to 2023
To all members : Take your time learning how the new buttons wok Hovering over them for a second seems to fer a quick description of its function.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
👠👠
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

The mystery tightens. All images that was in the original installation is indeed there*. I just checked again. But those images that are missing are also missing in the original install. The original install has not been touched at all at any time. It is exactly as it was when I disabled the board. Could it be that the uploader deleted those images him/her self?

Perhaps the old forum software just ignored the deleted images while the new software will show a broken link where they would have been?

*Edit after the issue has been solved. The attachments all looked to be there. Both folders did show exactly the same number of files when I compared them. It turns out that the original folder really contained more than double the amount of attachments but the server only showed less than half of them. :facepalm:
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

Yet another update.
I have discovered that something strange seems to have happened to the attachment folder in back in 2015 that could have "lost" some attachments. I wonder if this might have been during our last server move, a move that I was not allowed to do myself but rather was made by our host. Whatever it was, those attachments are still with us but perhaps needs to be moved for the software to see them. It does not however explain all the recent lost attachments.
Shannon SteelSlave

I have been clicking on the links where images should be, after 3 posts, haven't found one that doesn't work.
I imagine images that were remotely hosted and pulled down at the host no longer exist for that reason.
👠👠
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

I think the image thing might just be a difference in how the new phpBB version handles attachments. The old phpBB would show a file with the [attachment] tag as an image, but it seems the new one doesn't work that way (or isn't set that way, I don't know how that works)
Shannon SteelSlave

Well, I am not complaining. Don't plan on taking this forum for granted. As long as I have my friends and fresh conversation, "I'm sound as a pound"
👠👠