high tech sound eliminating gag

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
niborg13

high tech sound eliminating gag

Post by niborg13 »

I thought i read about it on this forum. does any one have the tread to the high tech sound eliminating gag. a gag with a microphone+ speaker that eliminates all noise by producing the opposite noise
eki

Re: high tech sound eliminating gag

Post by eki »

Tangentially related, you can really mess with someones speech by replaying it to them with a small delay. I wonder if someone has incorporated that into a scene.

As for the thread topic, I'm curious if that's technologically feasible
Kinbaku

Post by Kinbaku »

niborg13 wrote:I thought i read about it on this forum. does any one have the tread to the high tech sound eliminating gag. a gag with a microphone+ speaker that eliminates all noise by producing the opposite noise
I know that some farmers use that in their tractor to dampen the tractor noises. But it's the first time I've heard it related to bondage.
So curious if anyone knows more. :facepalm:
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Noise-canceling headphones? :idea:

My cellphone headset has a noise canceling feature. :idea:

Both are basically the same principle. But they're applied directly to the ear(s) and so in a controlled, confined space inside the ear canal.

But even then the cancellation effect is still partial at best since there's always some sound infiltration around the earpieces. But it improves hearing the caller or the music. Improving is not completely eliminating.

I don't know about the tractor implementation. I ain't no farmer! :rofl:

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
ruru67

Post by ruru67 »

Yeah, noise cancellation is a thing, and some aircraft have a kind of noise cancellation tech to reduce the noise of propellers in the cabin - I've flown on planes like that and while the plane makers make thing of it it's still very noisy. Other than that, I've not heard of sound cancellation being done anywhere other than close to the ear (as in noise cancelling headphones). Probably that's because in the headphone example, you only need to cancel the sound that would otherwise reach the ear, not the whole output of the sound source, which is what you'd need to do with a "voice canceller".

I'd say the biggest problem is going to be the directionality of any speaker. A speaker has a membrane that moves back and forth - if the membrane pushes forward, then it creates an overpressure in front of it - but an underpressure behind (and reverse on the other side of the wafeform), so while in front of the membrane you might be cancelling the sound, behind it you're actually reinforcing it. Maybe a collar surrounded by outward-facing speakers would help, but I suspect that you'll just make a lot more noise overall, and the amplitude of that noise is going to sound a lot like speech. You'd probably do just as well to detect the sound and make a lot of white noise to drown it out.

In fact, if you direct a lot of that noise toward the person (e.g. via earphones), they won't be able to hear themselves speaking. I've used constant noise for sensory deprivation before and it tends to shut the wearer up, because they can't hear if they're getting a response and can't hear themselves speak. Bing blindfolded helps. Also, if you use a triggered loud noise, that in itself may provide sufficient discouragement.

In short, I don't think you can just simply cancel someone's speech, but I think you can mess with their perception enough to have the same ultimate effect...
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

niborg13 wrote:I thought i read about it on this forum. does any one have the tread to the high tech sound eliminating gag. a gag with a microphone+ speaker that eliminates all noise by producing the opposite noise
I don’t remember a thread here about this. I am familiar with both in-ear and over-ear noise cancellation headphones. My preference is the in-ear ones which I often use while driving so that the music is audible when my vehicle is traveling at highway speeds (65-70 mph, 105-145 kmh). About 1.5 years ago, I paid for the exhaust system repairs and both mufflers to be replaced (about $700) which left it still too loud. Instead of having another set of mufflers installed, the headphones are cheaper.

The vehicle noise and the headphones are relevant here because of the operating principles. It is trivial to cancel the vehicle noise with the headphones. Canceling the engine noise for other motorists or pedestrians is much more difficult and expensive. Which scenario are you looking to achieve?
Resident timer maker. :hi:
Let’s make timers together!
lj

Post by lj »

The OP needs to define the desired situation. What is the desired result?

Sound cancelling by generating an anti-phase signal only works if the receiver of the noise gets the two sound waves of exactly the same volume and spectrum, so in-ear and over-ear systems succeed because the sounds can be correctly phased and otherwise controlled to allow cancellation.

Systems in planes are quite good at drowning out the jet whine, but that is because the engines can't spool up and down very quickly, so the whine can be sampled and re-played anti-phase. Attempts have been made in tanks, which have a huge internal noise problem, but with little success as here the engines do change rpm quickly, and an error of phase can lead to in-phase reinforcement making the received noise even greater!

A gag with a loudspeaker generating an anti-phase signal that exactly matches the noise coming from behind the gag is possible, but things like the direction of the two sound outputs would be almost impossible to balance, stopping feedback "howl-round" and so on, so the effect light occur but only work for a person in a single position. The technology required is by no means as simple as just a microphone, amplifier and loudspeaker. Digital signal processing might provide the answer, but the coding is far from trivial!
be a switch, double the fun :-)
niborg13

Post by niborg13 »

apparently it wasn't on this board i read about it, but thanks for the reactions. It is propably only a concept. i am not a scientist, but the idea was to inverse the effect of a microphone, thus sending opposite wave lenghts. it would look a bit like a headset with speakerphone+ microcomputer + speaker. If i ever find it, i'll post the link here :gag:
Kinbaku

Post by Kinbaku »

This could possibly work with just one sound in the microphone, which is then mixed with the phase-opposite signal via the microprocessor and then routed to your headphones.

There are noise canceling headphones, but is mostly only some decibels that they remove, mostly in a certain frequency part. So you can hear the voices/music while muffling the background noise of a heavy machine.

In connection with the voice, I suspect that it presents some difficulty because it differs so much from moment to moment. Both in the frequency and the strength of the sound (amplitude). Read the first FAQ at this website.