Corset sizing?

This is the place where you can share your thoughts on selfbondage with like minded people.
soleus

Corset sizing?

Post by soleus »

I know, for the first corset the standard wisdom is that you should measure your natural waist size and go down 4 inches.

But what's "natural"? Breathe in or breathe out? Abs tight or stomach bulging? That could be anything between 29" and 31". I know the waist size that corresponds to the trousers that fit me, but I got that by trying trousers on - seeing as they usually sit considerably lower than my waist, it would be at best a coincidence if that turned out to be actual waist size.

Question prompted by having my ebay corset (28" closed) arrive yesterday and finding that I can already lace it completely closed :-( Feels nice, but I want tighter. I guess I should have pulled my stomach in before measuring around my navel. I plan to exchange it, I'm not too sure whether to go down 2" or 4, though. It's just for occasional wear, not to reshape my ribs, so I guess 2" makes more sense especially if I plan to wear it more than about 10 minutes...
bound_jenny

Re: Corset sizing?

Post by bound_jenny »

soleus wrote:I know, for the first corset the standard wisdom is that you should measure your natural waist size and go down 4 inches.
That's exactly it. For waist training, the first corset is usually 4 inches smaller than the natural waist.
soleus wrote:But what's "natural"? Breathe in or breathe out? Abs tight or stomach bulging? That could be anything between 29" and 31". I know the waist size that corresponds to the trousers that fit me, but I got that by trying trousers on - seeing as they usually sit considerably lower than my waist, it would be at best a coincidence if that turned out to be actual waist size.
By a "natural" waist, it means relaxed, with no particular effort to suck in your gut or push it out. I figure that your actual waist size is around 30 inches, from the average of 29 and 31.
soleus wrote:Question prompted by having my ebay corset (28" closed) arrive yesterday and finding that I can already lace it completely closed :-( Feels nice, but I want tighter. I guess I should have pulled my stomach in before measuring around my navel. I plan to exchange it, I'm not too sure whether to go down 2" or 4, though. It's just for occasional wear, not to reshape my ribs, so I guess 2" makes more sense especially if I plan to wear it more than about 10 minutes...
If your waist size is actually 30 inches, it would be only two inches tighter then. That is not very tight, and it would explain why you're disappointed. A 26-inch corset would have been more appropriate.

With the corset fully closed, can you pull your belly away from the inside of the corset (that's my indicator to make a tighter corset)? Or slip a hand inside the corset easily down to waist level? If not, I suggest you get used to this one before getting something tighter. And if you can, don't go any more than two inches tighter at a time. Four inches is a big step, believe me. And the tighter you go, the smaller the step for the same effect. It's proportional. Never underestimate how tight a corset can be. Sometimes only an inch is enough to make your eyes pop out.

If you are only planning to wear it occasionally, don't go too tight. In any case, corsets made for occasional wear rarely, if ever, exceed four inches of constriction. More than that and the strain would probably damage the corset in the medium term.

Tightlacing corsets are sturdier, because the constriction is often double or more that of occasional-wear corsets, and it is on a daily basis. Currently, I wear corsets that have between six and eight inches of constriction, every day, comfortably. And working my way down, tighter and tighter, slowly but surely.

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
soleus

Post by soleus »

Thanks. I subsequently got a 26" (it's the one in my avatar). And while I can now close that most of the way, after ten minutes warmup and some deep breaths, it's a lot more fun getting to that point. Kick me for buying it in white, though. The laces really don't stay that colour long when you're pulling them hard to tighten it :-(

It's curiously addictive. I've just won another one on ebay too ...
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Addictive, eh? :D

I started tightlacing - committing myself to wearing a corset to change my figure, all the time - by choice. Now I couldn't stop if I wanted to. I am so accustomed to wearing my corsets that I can't sleep properly without one. I feel wrong when I take it off (like for showering - I would say I feel naked but in such cases, I'm naked already, so...).

The sensation of enclosure, snugness, around the waist and chest, is very sensual, almost intoxicating. Taking a deep breath and pushing the ribs against the unyielding walls of the corset is incredibly pleasant.

Sad that today, most people - especially women - shudder at the thought of wearing a corset when they haven't even tried it. They have no idea what it feels like. They believe that it hurts, is uncomfortable, restrictive, etc. Hogwash, I say! There is some discomfort at first, but only if one goes too tight too fast.

Have fun wearing your corset! 8)

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!