Near Misses & Stupid Failures

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
Nettles

Near Misses & Stupid Failures

Post by Nettles »

Just a couple of near misses and stupid failures I've had in my release mechanism so no one else does the same.
My own stupid fault before you point it out.

1. Putting the ice cubes in plastic bags instead of net bags. They melt and stay put with a bag full of water, even small holes can seal up and stop them dropping. A close call, I had to escape another way.

2. Release using weak string. I snapped my secondary secape mechanism whilst trying to use my primary eascape mechaism due to the string being too weak. Use paracord. Don't rely on normal string.

3. Test your escape mechanism, I used a secondary which was a frozen bottle of water. I didn't need it in the end, but found it still melting a day later. If I had needed it I would have been F####d.

4. Plan for power failure. If you use ice, plan for the power to go out as well. I have never had it, but wouldn't stage my life on it. I now use salt in my release ice. It will melt even after your heating turns off.

Your life is precious. Don't take chances, think it through and plan for failures.
I thought everything through and still the above failures happened. Think it through to the N'th degree!
FatherOfFour

Re: Near Misses & Stupid Failures

Post by FatherOfFour »

Hi,
I'll add one far miss (not near miss), but anyway, here it is:
Outdoor Adventures (interrupted...)

I'm careful and don't play on the edge, and also my opinion (since that event) is that exposing Yourself to people, general population, is non-consensual, no matter how exciting it would be.

My solution:
I involved my wife in my kinks and that gave a new dimension, and starting to share more with the community, which allowed me to learn from other's mistakes!

Have fun, plan wisely,
f4
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

I could add, always use "practice" devices when using locks or cuffs, i.e., trick cuffs that can be opened without keys, or if practicing a padlock scenario, try using D-rings, or key ring belt loop snaps. That way, if you "accidentally" lock yourself truly inescapable, you can undo it and remember not to do it for reals next time.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
lj

Post by lj »

Don't use the wrong tools!

I set up a scenario with my hands cuffed behind my back, the cuffs linked with a fairly small cable tie, the cuffs locked in place on each wrist. I realised I had left the "release mechanism", a pair of scissors, on a shelf too high to reach from the floor. Whilst I successfully climbed onto a swivel chair to grab the scissors, I then fell off the chair (and broke a rib). I attempted to cut the cable tie, at which point the scissors fell apart at the pivot, but not before I cut my hand on a blade.

Fortunately I remembered a pair of wire cutters, found them and released myself.

moral of story. Check everything is in place and make sure cutters or scissors are up to the job! ( a piece of advice, by ER / A@E scissors, they are cheap but designed to cut thick bandage and clothing - and rope! - have sharp serrated blades with long handles and rounded ends on the blades)
be a switch, double the fun :-)
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

And use decent electrician's cutters for cable ties and have a spare pair - I've seen the blade snap off a cheap pair on a thick nylon tie (in an industrial situation fortunately).