Manual for Vibrator-Control?

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
amity

Manual for Vibrator-Control?

Post by amity »

Hi there,

I am dreaming of a computer- (Arduino?-) controlled vibrator where a nicely written program keeps me “interested” when in self-bondage
(On-Off, 20%-On for XX-seconds, 100% for YY-seconds… you get it?)

I am reading every post regarding ARDUINO Vibrators with enthusiasm and are eager to start.
(Like “Yet another Arduino Vibrator” by Sir Cumference)
But to be honest: it always seems way over my head.
It always a question of where to start and what really to do (difficult when you start at “zero”).

I envy you all out there, who just get it done.

So here is my question:

There are a lot of posts where certain details are discussed, but I haven´t found a post where it is explained from beginning to end.
A real manual

More or less like this:
1. Goal: How to build a time controlled vibrator (for example – because that is what I would like best !!!)
2. To do it, go and buy exactly this hardware
3. Then do this, do that (see picture…)
4. …
5. Until the final step

When I actually read what I have written, it looks a little bit selfish to ask for so much work that someone has to do, but as far as I know that would be unique in the internet!

I bet there are more of me (are there?), who would be thrilled, if some genius could take us by the hand.

Thanks a lot

amity
Dark_Lizerd

Re: Manual for Vibrator-Control?

Post by Dark_Lizerd »

Easy...
Step 1: Get a control board, Arduino for one, (I have a K8055, similar, but different, not programmable)
2: Program the board, test the outputs... (Manual control at this point...)
3: Have the board control the outputs to the toy... (vibrator)
4: modify the program for the "random" timing and speeds to keep you teased, but not get you off...
5: Tweak until it becomes painfully close...
6: enjoy... :)

That is the simple idea, I use VB and with a modification to my adventure program, I can have it operate external devices... K8055 or Arduino...

I had, and still do, an idea for a simple device controller...
From the end user point, it would be like what you are asking for...
A list of parts...
Modify this like so...
Modify this text file with "these" number that mean "this" to get the result you want...
It could also have certain values, like "0" to mean "random" just to add a little spice...

But, from what I have found out, the Arduino is a programmable device and it can be programmed with above operation...

This could be a team effort for the ideas, but just one person doing the actual programming...
All advice is checked, re-checked and verified to be questionable...
Don't ask, we both wont understand the answer...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/09dtr ... e_V2_2.exe Not just for nubies any more...
amity

Post by amity »

Hi Dark_Lizard
Thank for your reply!

Please slow down a little bit:

Step 1: Get a control board, Arduino for one, (I have a K8055, similar, but different, not programmable)
Please make a suggestion: which type (maybe a link to amazon)?
How do I do this...? :roll:
...same question
4: modify the program for the "random" timing and speeds to keep you teased, but not get you off...
I am confused as before, but on a higher level
I understand that one :D

Let`s start at the beginning:
What board would you suggest?
What ist the next step?

amity is willing to follow you :D
Dark_Lizerd

Post by Dark_Lizerd »

amity wrote:Hi Dark_Lizard
Thank for your reply!

Please slow down a little bit:

Please make a suggestion: which type (maybe a link to amazon)?
Popular around here is the Arduino, lots of programs here too...
How do I do this...? :roll:
The Arduino should come with examples to program it... Easy to learn...
...same question
The easiest answer here is... Hmmm If you have a vibrator with a remove control/battery pack, then it would be easer to do.
If you have an "all in one" type, then it will be a little bit harder...

I am confused as before, but on a higher level
When you get the Arduino, it will make more sense...
I understand that one :D

Let`s start at the beginning:
What board would you suggest?
The Arduino, I had one for a little bit, but since I already had a control device, I did not need two of them
Also, the K8055 is a Radio Shack kit... some assembly required...

What ist the next step?
Step 1... get the board...
http://www.arduino.cc for the Arduino main site and...
http://store.arduino.cc/category/11 I would go for the Arduino Uno V3 @ 16.77 (British pounds???)
That would make for an easy start...
I had a V2 and the package had a web address for downloading the software, but I don't remember the site...
(actually, I think it was from the main site...)
I bought the super-duper advanced kit or $160.00 then took it back a few days later... (Didn't need all that,)
Then seen a starter kit for $34.00 (I think)...
Then found much better prices on-line...

amity is willing to follow you :D
http://www.mediafire.com/download/09dtr ... e_V2_2.exe Not just for nubies any more...
amity

Post by amity »

Hello Dark_Lizard

In the arduino shop there is no "V3" but a "Rev 3" = release 3
Is it this one: http://store.arduino.cc/product/A000066 ?

Yes the vibrator comes with a remote control / battery pack.

Anything else I need to buy?

I am getting excited :lol:
PiJoy

Post by PiJoy »

amity wrote:Hello Dark_Lizard

In the arduino shop there is no "V3" but a "Rev 3" = release 3
Is it this one: http://store.arduino.cc/product/A000066 ?

Yes the vibrator comes with a remote control / battery pack.

Anything else I need to buy?
@amity,

I'm coming into this thread in the middle. What do you have besides an Arduino (or clone?) What vibrator and what to control it?

Note: do NOT try to drive the motor directly from an Arduino pin. That (a) won't work and (b) could fry your Arduino.

DC/battery-powered vibes are easier to control than AC loads like the Hitachi magic wand.

If you PM me an email address, I can share a Google doc with you that has a basic circuit to control a DC/battery powered vibe. To control an A/C load, I recommend buying (vs. building) the control circuitry.

IMHO, you're also going to want:
1. A basic meter. If you're in the US, harborfreight.com has some for around $5; hard to beat.
2. A DC power supply. You can probably use one of the many charger "wall warts" you probably have kicking around from old cellphones, GPS or tablets. Reading and understanding what those say on them is a worthwhile exercise. Feel free to ask questions here or via PM.
3. A solder-less breadboard and some 22 gauge solid wire; I recommend at least 800 connections on the breadboard.
4. Some basic parts, if you don't buy a relay board or kit. (My Google doc has part#s and a couple suggested vendors.)
5. A soldering iron and solder, because not everything has breadboard-firendly wires.

One of the simplest Arduino sketches is called "blink", which blinks an LED. See: http://arduino.cc/en/tutorial/blink
Blink is pretty short and simple -- and a fair bit of it is comments:

Code: Select all

/*
  Blink
  Turns on an LED on for one second, then off for one second, repeatedly.

This example code is in the public domain.
 */

// Pin 13 has an LED connected on most Arduino boards.
// give it a name:
int led = 13;

// the setup routine runs once when you press reset:
void setup() {                
  // initialize the digital pin as an output.
  pinMode(led, OUTPUT);     
}

// the loop routine runs over and over again forever:
void loop() {
  digitalWrite(led, HIGH);   // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
  delay(1000);               // wait for a second
  digitalWrite(led, LOW);    // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW
  delay(1000);               // wait for a second
}
If you wire the signal that nominally goes to the LED and instead connect that signal to a motor-control board or similar circuit -- and thence to a (vibrator) motor, you'll be in business!

In this version of blink, the on and off times are set by numbers in delay loop(s.) So the delay times are easily changed. Changing them to be more like what you want is your first homework. Homework #2 is replacing those variables with calls to the random number generator function. From there, the sky's the limit.

Hope this helps!
Dark_Lizerd

Post by Dark_Lizerd »

"...Note: do NOT try to drive the motor directly from an Arduino pin. That (a) won't work and (b) could fry your Arduino. ..."

Thanks for that head-up, I did not know that... :shock:

Yes, Rev 3, not V(ersion) 3... Sorry... :oops:

One of these days, I'm gona wire up my K8055 and use it for more than just as a dust collector...
amity

Post by amity »

@PiJoy
Thanks for trying to help! Very much appreciated.
I will drop you a PI for my email.

I`m focused to get it done.
Livelong learning :!:

I have both. A battery-driven bullet-vibe and a magic wand.
Should we first focus on the batterypack-vib which seems the easier way?

O.K.
I am going to buy:
an arduino board Uno Rev 3
a solder-less bradboard (800 connections)
22 gauge solid wire
Is that about right?

I have got a soldering iron and solder somewhere and a wall wart (…let you know which one)
PiJoy

Post by PiJoy »

amity wrote:@PiJoy

<snip>

I am going to buy:
an arduino board Uno Rev 3
a solder-less bradboard (800 connections)
22 gauge solid wire
Is that about right?

I have got a soldering iron and solder somewhere and a wall wart (…let you know which one)
Any Arduino or clone will work.
However, be sure to check what cable or adaptor is needed before you order. Many use a USB cable (though take note, they don't all use the SAME USB connector!) others need a USB/serial adaptor, with the right connector for your board. (Usually this serial connector has six pins on 0.1 inch centers.)

I find breadboard-friendly Arduino work-alikes are easier when breadboarding prototype circuits. Adafruit.com, Moderndevice.com and PJRC.com are some US-based vendors I've had good luck with; YMMV. I don't know about EU suppliers

I strongly suggest you get at least three (insulation) colors of wire, more is better. Reserve black for DC common and red for power.

To start, you want a wall-wart that outputs 5 volt DC, regulated, or unregulated DC 9 -- 12 volts. Stay away from AC wall warts. This is where you'll want a meter to verify what kind of power your wall-warts produce, and on what wires.

Electrical tape and some other kind of tape that's easier to write on will prove handy as well.

Hope this helps!
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

you are new to both coding and electronics, that means, you should start simple with something pre-made.

Buy an uno and a motor shield.
You could buy one like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motor-Drive-Shi ... 0700252856
assembled, and so cheap that it is almost a joke!
(I think I'll buy couple of them, just to try them)

But it would be even simpler to buy this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOP-MOSFET-Butt ... 2ed5359f1d
I will defineatly buy some of those! They cost less than I've payed for the naked MOSFET!

SIG goes to your output pin on the uno*
VCC and GND goes to the pins such marked on the uno*
you battery for the motor goes on VIN (+) and GND(-) . For a bullet vibrator that would be 3V or 4,5V
And your vibrator connects to V+ and V-

And that's it!

Start playing with the modified "Blink" sketch here:
http://forum.boundanna.net/board/viewto ... ink#p53381
For the first playing, you do not even need to connect anything, just look at the light emitting diode on pin 13

It takes a bit to learn the very basic things, but it really is a gift that keeps giving!

Leatherworking, basic blacksmithing , woodworking and programming are the most pervertable skills you can learn!

The uno: You can buy either an original uno or one of the clones. For your first, you should buy an original, to make sure it is working.
It is a really good idea to follow some of the tutorials to get the basics right.
I learned from LadyAda (a wonderful she-nerd!):
http://www.ladyada.net/learn/arduino/

*You do not need a breadboard now, just buy some test wires with a male and a female end like these:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/40PCS-Dupont-wir ... 2a2527b844
~ Leatherworking, blacksmithing , woodworking and programming are the most pervertable skills you can learn! ~
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

I ordered a handful of the MOSFET break-out boards.

They have not arrived yet, but I'm a little bit exited to see how well they will be working.

It is an IRF520, and according to the datasheet, the Gate to Threshold Voltage should be 2-4 V, meaning that the 5V from the Arduino output, should open it fully.

My limited electronic knowledge had me worried however, because I like my MOSFETs to be called something with IRL, the "L" meaning that it will work with a logic signal (5V).

...... but it should work according to the datasheet.
~ Leatherworking, blacksmithing , woodworking and programming are the most pervertable skills you can learn! ~
PiJoy

Post by PiJoy »

Sir Cumference wrote:I ordered a handful of the MOSFET break-out boards.

They have not arrived yet, but I'm a little bit exited to see how well they will be working.

It is an IRF520, and according to the datasheet, the Gate to Threshold Voltage should be 2-4 V, meaning that the 5V from the Arduino output, should open it fully.

My limited electronic knowledge had me worried however, because I like my MOSFETs to be called something with IRL, the "L" meaning that it will work with a logic signal (5V).

...... but it should work according to the datasheet.
@Sir Cumference,

Please post your opinion about those MOSFET modules, as soon as you've tried them out! I worry (perhaps too much) about eBay and/or overseas vendors and delivery/quality, so I'll be very interested. If they work, those are a great way for somebody to get started, without having to learn to solder. Thanks for pointing them out.

IMHO, there are so many logic levels, that the L is not very meaningful, but I agree, one wants to be able to drive the MOSFET into saturation. Note that the threshold voltage is defined at a (surprisingly to me) low current, so IMHO, one want's to be well above threshold. I was originally taught not to rely on a MOSFET's body diode to clamp inductive spikes, but the IRF520's datasheet is making me wonder if it can be used for switching inductive loads without adding a diode. What do you think?

FYI, sparkfun.com usually has one of two N-channel power MOSFETs in stock that can be turned full on (or full enough on) via a 3.3 volt output. See
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10213
FYI, the two part# are: FQP30N06L and RFP30N06LE
amity

Post by amity »

Some of the items are cheaper when coming from China - but the delivery time is of course up to a month.
Hmmm, let me see if I can get the items for a reasenoble price a little bit quicker.

Where does the wall-wart and the arduino-sketch come in,
I haven´t got the vast overviwe by now :oops:

@PiJoy
Has your name something to do with Pi raspberry???
100 points to amity???
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

Revisiting the data sheet, it seems that the 520 actually needs 10V for a full on.
But even with a lower gate voltage, it will probably allow enough current through, to drive a bullet vibe or similar.
I will look through my stash of components, and if there is a good mosfet in it, it should be simple to perform a switch.

I'll probably use a diode anyway just to be on the safe side.

Buying things in the East is a gamble, but I keep the bets low, and I will not loose much.
(I have not lost so far)
PiJoy

Post by PiJoy »

amity wrote:Some of the items are cheaper when coming from China - but the delivery time is of course up to a month.
Hmmm, let me see if I can get the items for a reasenoble price a little bit quicker.

Where does the wall-wart and the arduino-sketch come in,
I haven´t got the vast overviwe by now :oops:

@PiJoy
Has your name something to do with Pi raspberry???
100 points to amity???
Amity,

Were you able to access the Google Doc? I shared it with the email address you PMed to me. You should have received an email with an access link. If not, let me know and I'll make a .pdf and send you that. It should give you an overview, at least on the electronics side.

Although you can power most Arduinos from your PC, you cannot safely power the vibrator the same way.
DON'T TRY THAT, YOU COULD FRY YOUR PC!

So a low-voltage (3 -- 12 volt) DC supply is needed to power the vibe. If the Wall wart is 5 volts or higher, you can power both a stand-alone arduino and the vibe from most wall warts. However, to do that safely requires a diode to keep electrical spikes from the vibe from harming the Arduino. Details in the Google doc.

The Arduino's digital outputs cannot provide nearly enough current to power a vibrator. So you need some sort of switching element to go from signal level (ballpark 10 milliAmps) and the vibe, which needs a good fraction of an Amp. (depending on your vibe.) So some sort of transistor is needed; popular choices are MOSFETs or Darlington transistors. I suggest you avoid relays, because the Arduino still can't power those directly, they won't last as long, and you can't do speed control with a relay either.

No, my name isn't related to the Raspberry Pi, but not a bad guess.