PictureLoKiT - decisions, decisions, decisions help!

Selfbondage software and other kinky developments

Moderators: Riddle, Shannon SteelSlave

Which do think is more important...

Poll ended at 23 Jun 2011, 20:45

Wait for PicLoKiT v2.0
63%
Finish the existing version
38%

Total votes: 8

LoKiT
Retired Moderator

PictureLoKiT - decisions, decisions, decisions help!

Post by LoKiT »

Post 101 and PictureLoKiT has enjoyed 1000s of downloads, break out the Grolsh. And of those 1000's of downloads the only helpful comments was the from the good people of this forum, thank you.

After the great hack of sourceforge and loss of a computer the source code was lost :( So I decided to embark on a new version 2 last November. This was to be far superior to the old Picture including a lot of the wishlist items that came out on the forum :D The snag is I'm not getting any younger and despite the dedicated hours that has gone in to it PictureLoKiT2 is at least six months way. Its taking so long because it is of a paid software standard. But always free to members of this forum :)

However, I found in a discarded backup a copy of the last Linux version which is very close to 67 on current release. I can push this last version into an RC1 over the next six weeks and remove all the known bugs and complete it. Feeding in the code and routines learned from Bluelist. Thus eliminating all the installation hassles, 64bit failures and cheats. The caveat to this is I would need half a dozen testers please to do some testing in around 4 weeks time if interested parties would be kind enough to forward a PM or email. Bluelist would never have been launch if it wasn't thanks to the tester that make it possible. Thanks again.

So the decision to made is... Soldier on with Version2 which will takes ages yet. Or, finish off the existing and make a final version ??? Please use the poll to express what you think I should do next
Last edited by LoKiT on 12 Jun 2011, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.
jtalh2003

Re: PictureLoKiT - decisions, decisions, decisions help!

Post by jtalh2003 »

voted Wait for PicLoKiT v2.0
time is the fire in which we burn
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
JacobSteinfeld

Post by JacobSteinfeld »

Hello LokIt!

I already told you my opinion about the fancy features in PL2 in private, cool but I don´t need them.
LoKiT wrote:The snag is I'm not getting any younger
It sounds like you leave the project anyway, sooner or later. In my opinion it is the best to leave with a succsess, with a complete and final release, rather than a half-hearted and half complete release thrown out just to get rid of the project.
But always free to members of this forum :)
That´s the spirit! :D
The caveat to this is I would need half a dozen testers
I am just one, but here I am! :hi:
So the decision to made is... Soldier on with Version2 which will takes ages yet. Or, finish off the existing and make a final version ??? Please use the poll to express you think I should do next
Finish off what you have. If you ever feel more motivated than now, that Version 2 is not running away, you could still work on that later if you feel so. Take the pressure out of it, enjoy life and do what you wanna do, not what you think you have to do! ;)
bluebird67

Post by bluebird67 »

I voted for completing v1. Reviewing the code as you do so will remind you of lessons learned the first time around.
Also, you get the satisfaction of delivering something, which for most software developers is a big boost to the motivation to continue the big project.
You are doing great work here, I enjoy reading your posts even though I have yet to try to run any of your software (still running a Mac PowerBook G4)
LoKiT
Retired Moderator

Post by LoKiT »

You are all such hard task masters LOL. Thanks to those who part in the poll. It did help with the decision making process.

I get the impression (and I could be wrong, if so tell me) that some like the Beta as it suits there need a perhaps a bit of a classic. So why complicate it and change it with bits you don't need. On the hand others would like more features and have a bigger and better version. Secretly and not knowing how badly the recovered source was damaged I set about eradication all the know bugs. This went well I set about finishing off to the original spec using know working code from Bluelist.

Yes, you are going to get both. Later a version2, and in the next few days an RC1 which is for confirmation the international elements work ok. Then if nothing major has accrued the Final version will be available for all. The site will be updated with documented source code and development of PictureLoKiT will close, but will be maintained. That doesn't mean the end, its open source and anyone can pick up and run with it. There is a lot new hidden features to play with which is for another post. And a new and more robust construction with expansion control options.

Picturelokit will be superseded by FileLoKiT aka PictureLoKiT2. FileLoKiT is proving extremely difficult to implement and nearing a proof of concept. Hence progress is very slow but very rewarding. I hope no one is disappointed once it arrives later in the year. Thanks to everyone one again.
qwerty212

Post by qwerty212 »

LoKiT wrote:You are all such hard task masters LOL. Thanks to those who part in the poll. It did help with the decision making process.

I get the impression (and I could be wrong, if so tell me) that some like the Beta as it suits there need a perhaps a bit of a classic. So why complicate it and change it with bits you don't need. On the hand others would like more features and have a bigger and better version. Secretly and not knowing how badly the recovered source was damaged I set about eradication all the know bugs. This went well I set about finishing off to the original spec using know working code from Bluelist.

Yes, you are going to get both. Later a version2, and in the next few days an RC1 which is for confirmation the international elements work ok. Then if nothing major has accrued the Final version will be available for all. The site will be updated with documented source code and development of PictureLoKiT will close, but will be maintained. That doesn't mean the end, its open source and anyone can pick up and run with it. There is a lot new hidden features to play with which is for another post. And a new and more robust construction with expansion control options.

Picturelokit will be superseded by FileLoKiT aka PictureLoKiT2. FileLoKiT is proving extremely difficult to implement and nearing a proof of concept. Hence progress is very slow but very rewarding. I hope no one is disappointed once it arrives later in the year. Thanks to everyone one again.
No, thanks to you for your hard work wihtout asking for anything in return.