Quick-release knots

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Quick-release knots

Post by curious_sb »

This probably doesnt apply too much to self bondage as it applies more to "tops" in a two person scenario, i picked this tip up from a bondage site.

However it may be useful for doing ankle / leg ties and stuff...

Basically a quick release knot is a simple knot that is effectively a half bow tie (similar to the ones you used to tie your shoelaces as a kid, only this is just a single loop rather than two inter twining loops).

Quick release knots are great because if theres a problem and your bottom starts choking or turning blue or whatever you can simply pull on the chord trailing from the loop and the knot comes undone every time. The good thing about the quick release knot is that it can feel very secure - but allows a master to untie his slave in seconds - many times faster than it actually took to set up the rope tie. And as we all know, where oxygen supply is an issue, every second counts. Last thing you need to be is fumbling around trying to untie that rather elaborate and complex set of knots you set up on your poor unsuspecting partner, slave , or self!!

Many of you have probably heard of this before but for those of you that are new to this type of knot heres a great way of seeing just how effective and secure it is, in the description below you will tie a knot around your ankle, or a willing voluteers wrists!!

... only the knot will be a "quick release":
(sorry theres no pictures but you should get the idea)

1. You should be sitting in a chair for this practice.
2. Rest your left ankle on your right knee.
3. Pass the rope / chord under your ankle, and tie a simple half-knot (right over left and pass under.).
4. Now hold a loop in the right grip, so that there is rope left hanging down.
5. Whilst holding the base of the loop. Complete the knot (granny or reef) so that the left hand peice of rope passes over the loop and then under and pulls tight.
6. You should end up with either a granny knot or reef knot with one end a loop and the other end has two loose ends of rope. (if you think about it, if you looped the other end you would end up with the famous "shoelace bow") The shorter end of the two shoud be the one that is connected directly with the loop.

7. You can really pull the knot very tight and it will stay secure.

8. To release, simply pull on the shorter end of rope and the knot falls undone easily, every time, and without fail.

Hope this is the sort of info you are looking for. Sorry if its not relevant but I thought it was worth sharing. Your views or opinions greatly received.

EDIT: Found an illustration for this knot!!!

slkdyk

Post by slkdyk »

Also most of the real knots are designed to be untied. Some of the granny type are difficult to get apart. So ge out an old Boy Scout handbook and start getting your merit badge.
misQui
Retired Moderator

Post by misQui »

I was a Sea Scout in my younger days and my Dad was the scout leader, so needless to say I ended up a bit of a knot expert. Curious_SB, the knot that you show certainly can be pulled tight. In fact, it's the knot I use for towing a car and it can still easily be slipped.
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

Just goes to show the strength of these knots. Although I am not sure what point slkdyk is making.

I mean obviously all knots are designed to come undone - eventually. What I am talking about here is a knot that is designed to come undone at the tug of a rope, literally a split second release. Not many types of knot I know can do that.

Last thing I would want anyone to endure is trying to undo a complicated or tightened up knot when they are turning blue or start panicking (or somebody has come home early :-) ).
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
LoRee
Retired Moderator

Post by LoRee »

I get the half jest slkdyk mant that to be Curious_SB. However, the type of rope you use is just as important as the knot. While setting up for a recent session I had this kind of knot hang on me when I tried to pull it loose. I was using a cheap cotton clothes line just under 1/4 inch (about 6 mm) in diameter. I was able to retrieve my scissors and free myself. then proceeded with the scene using braided nylon rope which would not snag on itself the way the cotton did. If I'd have done it with the cotton and it hung I'd have been "Stuck like Chuck".
I also found that this type of cheep cotton line and the hemp line I have tried don't work all that well in an SDR. Oh they can not be pulled or otherwise worked loose once they are pulled up tight, it's just I find it too difficult to pull them tight enough to be effective when in the constraint of the bondage I am in. :twisted: :evil:
"I find it far more annoying when the universe makes me work for damnation. I prefer it just gave it to me and save me the effort"
cdinbonds

Post by cdinbonds »

Actually, the knot in the illustration is a slipped half hitch. It is a reliable knot, if properly drawn up.

Slkdyk's reference to "real" knots should not be taken lighty. In this case, real means proper. Most proper knots, correctly tied and drawn up, can be untied fairly easily, even after having been subjected to heavy strain. A granny, while shown in many ropework and knot books, is in fact an improperly tied square knot. When placed under strain it can slip and/or jam. A properly tied "shoelace bow" is actually a double slipped square knot. An improperly tied bow is a double slipped granny, (identified by the vertical orientation of the loops, as opposed to the horizontal orientation of the square bow)

Also, remember what happens if the tail gets fed through the loop, say from flopping around while in bondage. If it gets yanked in a moment of panic, it becomes far more difficult to untie then the unslipped version of the same knot would have been.

I'm not saying slipped knots can't have their place, just be aware of the potential problems.
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

Good point, I would still use a slipped knot any day.
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
Cindy123

Post by Cindy123 »

I am not a fan of rope bondage, but it looks like a good idea for some who dont care to be tied for real and want release at a pull of the rope, I like the safety of the idea though.
Cindy :roll:
If your not playing on the edge, your taking up to much space...............................
Play safe and have fun...Now Where did I put that damn Key!!!!! ;-)
CINDY123@BAK.RR.COM
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

Cheers Cindy123.

I appreciate all the comments. By the way. All of you. I have had some great ideas and input on this.
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
tyerrup

Panic Snap

Post by tyerrup »

Have you guys not heard of panic snaps?

http://www.hobbytool.com/browseproducts/Panic-Snap.html

See this link for a picture of one.

They have been used for years by Doms doing rope bondage suspension as they release by just sliding the square section with the arrow on it.

Of course, they were invented to quickly release horses from being tied to something if they got spooked so they wouldn't hurt themselves by banging into their stall walls. Like if the barn caught on fire or something.

I have been meaning to get some for a while now but haven't gotten around to it. But they will release even when under load so they are perfect for self-bondage and/or suspension, assuming when used for suspension that they have a strong enough safe working load rating.

I don't trust ropes to come undone with a simple tug, at least not ropes that I have tied myself when in the heat of passion. :)

So I have mostly stuck to leather cuffs, chains and padlocks. I am even getting away from handcuffs as I tend to forget to double-lock them and tighten them too much and then worry about not being able to get the key into the lock.
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

How do panic snaps work?
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
Cindy123

Post by Cindy123 »

I like these snap things, I am going to purchase some and see if I can modify to use with ice timers,If i freeze them in a ice cube and If I take the springs out and mount them so when the ice melts around them the slide will fall and release you.
This could be fantastic...........................
Cindy :D
If your not playing on the edge, your taking up to much space...............................
Play safe and have fun...Now Where did I put that damn Key!!!!! ;-)
CINDY123@BAK.RR.COM
tyerrup

Panic Snaps

Post by tyerrup »

Curious_SB:

Look at the picture who's link I posted. See how the part with the arrow on it slightly covers the lower part that looks like a ring or a hasp?

Well, if you grab the part with the arrow and slide it up, it releases the bottom part which is not an actual ring but more of a half circle.

So the only thing that is keeping the bottom half from springing open is the part with the arrow being on top of it.

Sorry, I don't feel like I am explaining it well. Just go buy some and experiment! :P
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

Oh yes I see now, I saw the pictures before but couldnt work out the release as theres no explanation on their website.
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator