Limits to file attachments

News and announcements will be posted here.
anna
Site Admin

Limits to file attachments

Post by anna »

Attention all.

Attaching files to your post is a great thing that saves you from finding an external file host for important files. Do note though that you should only attach files that is of high value to the community. There is a maximum number of files that can be attached* and this could be why we have lost many of them. Not to mention the size of the attached files being around 1,5 gigabytes taking for ever to upload to a new server, should that ever be needed.

Examples of files that should be attached and thereby (hopefully) saved for the future would be drawings, blueprints, photos of things you have built, product review photos and so on.

Examples of files that should not be attached would be those of no to limited value to the community. Funny cat pictures or animations, the beautiful sunset right outside your window and everything else that do not need to be saved in the forum itself. Those files are still very welcome in the forum as long as they do not break any copyright laws but they do are best hosted outside the forum.

Thanks!

(*The limit seems to be filesystem related somehow.)
A glass of water longing for the ocean.
KinkInSpace

Re: Limits to file attachments

Post by KinkInSpace »

In SMF, there's a setting for maintenance that automatically prunes inactive images to save space. Maybe something similar is going on here.
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

KinkInSpace wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 13:33 In SMF, there's a setting for maintenance that automatically prunes inactive images to save space. Maybe something similar is going on here.
Another good idea, thanks, but I do not think so this time. The attachments has been cut of based on the user ID of its poster. The problem seems to have been caused by the limitations of files visible in one folder. There are over 15.000 files in the folder while only 6000 files are visible through FTP.
KinkInSpace

Post by KinkInSpace »

If automatic pruning used to be in effect, couldn't that be the result of it?
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

I can prune my own attachments. I once thought they were witty, funny, and enjoyed to read, but I suppose they are harmful to the board.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 16:11 I can prune my own attachments. I once thought they were witty, funny, and enjoyed to read, but I suppose they are harmful to the board.
No, do not do that at this time. Just be mindful going forward. It is a balancing act. I would like all files to be attached but there is a limit to the resources we have.
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

Let me know what you need me to do then, standing by.
I was never discouraged from posting light hearted, humourous pictures, so I never really held back. As long as I saw no way it would offend anyone, I usually just went forth.
I am probably responsible for most cute cats GIFs.
Just want to know what I can do to help the forum.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 21:41 I was never discouraged from posting light hearted, humourous pictures, so I never really held back. As long as I saw no way it would offend anyone, I usually just went forth.
I did not see any issue with that. That is what everything else is for. Keep it up but if possible please consider using of site hosting.

It is just that I just realized how much hassle 1,5 gigabytes of attachments can be to deal with on a slow internet connection. :mrgreen:
Shannon SteelSlave wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 21:41 Let me know what you need me to do then, standing by.
I will let you know if something needs to be done. Now relax. :wink: