messaging service.

Anything that does not fit any of the other categories.
bounddosster

messaging service.

Post by bounddosster »

Which is the best messaging service to use from a windows 10 laptop. I use to use yahoos but its long gone, any suggestions, I'd want feature like text chat and photo swap, maybe video.
That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
Kinbaku

Re: messaging service.

Post by Kinbaku »

bounddosster wrote:Which is the best messaging service to use from a windows 10 laptop. I use to use yahoos but its long gone, any suggestions, I'd want feature like text chat and photo swap, maybe video.
I use Whatsapp on my mobile phone at most of the associations I attend. It has chat, messages, phoneservice (some members use the whatsapp instead of the phone so they have not to pay for a phone call), photo and video.
I use Linux for my computer, but on Jenny's advice I installed the Opera browser (for free VPN) and then saw that it has Whatsapp by default.

This Opera browser can be installed in windows.
Last edited by Kinbaku on 06 Jul 2023, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.
bounddosster

Post by bounddosster »

kinbaku wrote:
bounddosster wrote:Which is the best messaging service to use from a windows 10 laptop. I use to use yahoos but its long gone, any suggestions, I'd want feature like text chat and photo swap, maybe video.
I use Whatsapp on my mobile phone at most of the associations I attend. It has chat, messages, phoneservice, photo and video.
I use Linux for my computer, but on Jenny's advice I installed the Opera browser (for free VPN) and then saw that it has Whatsapp by default.

This Opera browser can be installed in windows.
Thanks, I've seen a video about installing KiK on windows via a work around but you first have to have it on a tablet/phone. Currently I'm trying to install it on my tablet, it installs ok but won't let me join when I try too.

I do have opera, currently using Vivaldi, which I quiet like.
Kinbaku

Post by Kinbaku »

bounddosster wrote:Thanks, I've seen a video about installing KiK on windows via a work around but you first have to have it on a tablet/phone. Currently I'm trying to install it on my tablet, it installs ok but won't let me join when I try too.

I do have opera, currently using Vivaldi, which I quiet like.
Maybe it is the same with Whatsapp, first install on a tablet/phone before installing on the computer.
But I like KiK more, it seems to be more private than Whatsapp. But here in Belgium they use more Whatsapp and they don't know KiK.
Jadit

Post by Jadit »

Discord works for that too. As long as you add someone to your friends list you can send pictures, call to voice chat, stream games and so on. Might not let you upload large videos though.
KinkInSpace

Post by KinkInSpace »

There are quite a few options. From WhatsApp, Telegram, Matrix(I use client: Elements) and others to online chatrooms with private messaging options, such as Discord.

The downside to something like Discord is that you can only send like 8mb of data before you need a subscription. Telegram and WhatsApp has more space, but WhatsApp is possibly a privacy concern as its owned by Meta.

Matrix is the most secure of them all, but is a bit harder to setup. But Matrix is very flexible too.
Formally known as Slave_L.
I'm not yet very comfortable expressing my love for kink from my private life. I will therefor hide behind my username KinkInSpace and not allow any connections to who I really am. I'm sure you'll understand.
Bound Whore

Post by Bound Whore »

For anonymous chatting on Desktop or mobile - Discord.

Consider that Whatsapp requires a phone number to set up, which usually is also visible to your contacts.
Life's too short to pretend you're not into some kinky shit.
bounddosster

Post by bounddosster »

I'll take a look at discord.
I've been trying to join Kik on my Android tablet but it just won't let me. I enter user name and as soon as I start entering the password it kicks me off with an error.
Kinbaku

Post by Kinbaku »

bounddosster wrote:I'll take a look at discord.
I've been trying to join Kik on my Android tablet but it just won't let me. I enter user name and as soon as I start entering the password it kicks me off with an error.
Thanks to infami (BoundAnna/Site feedback/Dark Mode? from 17 Jul 2023) I found https://www.pocket-lint.com/search/?q=Discord yesterday. :D
bounddosster

Post by bounddosster »

kinbaku wrote:
bounddosster wrote:I'll take a look at discord.
Thanks to infami (BoundAnna/Site feedback/Dark Mode? from 17 Jul 2023) I found https://www.pocket-lint.com/search/?q=Discord yesterday. :D
After reading some of that, Microsoft buying them out and malware attacks, I think I'll skip discord.
Jadit

Post by Jadit »

bounddosster wrote:After reading some of that, Microsoft buying them out and malware attacks, I think I'll skip discord.
I use it literally daily while being on several dozen channels, and i have no clue what you are talking about malware attacks. Unknown people can't even send you messages unless you let them, and even if you do it would be impossible for them to hack your computer through it unless you open strange links, similar to in browser ads and email. I have never received a private message like that and all public servers have automated bot prevention so there is 0 bots in chat channels either. Again if you don't use chat servers then that's not even a concern for you.

I can also add that every chat service in the world that has public channels is subject to you potentially seeing strange links. There are no exceptions and there can never be. It is only a matter of how much and how good the prevention is.
eki

Post by eki »

In the context of SB and any other kinky activities, I have to warn against Discord. The way they handle things (arguably as a necessary evil) you should assume that anything uploaded can never be fully removed. This is for technical reasons, legal reasons and because some people are straight up jerks.
The only platform I would recommend is Signal.
Telegram and Whatsapp are better than the alternatives but don't provide the same guarantees. Also consider that Meta will keep track of who you're engaging with and when, and they will use that. I'm not familiar with the specifics of the privacy policy and technical protocols of Kik and other alternatives, but they will never provide the privacy and security that Signal will.

If anonymity towards your chatpartner is more important than your anonymity towards the platform, Discord may be the least bad free option. Just be aware of the risks.

As to the concerns about malicious activity, Discord and Telegram get an (unfairly) bad rep for that. There is a lot of it on those platforms in particular, but only in groups that most users will never join. The malware/C2s hosted on Discord are not a particular threat to normal users. Furthermore, you may want to consider the higher amount of phishing that is active on Whatsapp.
bounddosster

Post by bounddosster »

Thanks, I'll check out signal when I get chance.