Self storage containers

This is the place where you can share your thoughts on selfbondage with like minded people.
timbuit

Self storage containers

Post by timbuit »

I was recently looking on google maps for a safe place outside I could do some selfbondage without being seen when I found one of those self storage places where you can rent a 24/7 container. Has anyone ever used one of these for selfbondage? It reminded me of season 2 of You :)
Shannon SteelSlave

Re: Self storage containers

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

Aloha from Bound Anna, Tim.
I am a little confused about what you mean. So that we may be able to help you, are you talking about a self storage building where you bring all of your furniture you are not using, or a container you might use for moving, like a POD?
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
timbuit

Post by timbuit »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote:Aloha from Bound Anna, Tim.
I am a little confused about what you mean. So that we may be able to help you, are you talking about a self storage building where you bring all of your furniture you are not using, or a container you might use for moving, like a POD?
The first thing you said exactly!

I've seen a lot of people mentioning how their time for self bondage can be a rarity if they are living with others and don't get time alone. So it crossed my mind that one could possibly rent one of these containers and use it for some sessions. Kind of akin to renting a hotel or motel room (albeit probably not as comfortable).
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

That's an excellent idea! 8)

Though in summer it may become an oven. :!:

Welcome aboard! :whip:

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
ruru67

Post by ruru67 »

It's going to depend a lot on the storage place, but you need to keep in mind that storage units have keeping goods dry and secure as their priorities. Things that are not priorities are sound insulation, privacy, hygiene, and comfort. If there are odd noises coming from your unit, you risk being noticed. Units are unlikely to be lockable from the inside, so a concerned citizen is likely to investigate, or report to the storage company's management. Also, storage units are for storage, not activities - peculiar visiting practices (many visits without much movement of goods) are likely to arouse suspicion, e.g. of drug use/production, illicit storage of (stolen) high-value small goods, or attempts to access neighbouring units.
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

Before considering such a thing, it would be very important to know the exact terms of the rental agreement. All except for 1 storage company around here don’t allow the renter to occupy their storage unit with the door closed. The only exception allows some activity beyond just the storage of items, but they are still strict about not allowing people to occupy their space as a dwelling (hanging out, preparing food, sleeping etc. are still absolutely prohibited). The locations where I have stored stuff in the past have a strict rule against closing the door without also locking it. They make it clear that they will immediately lock the unit and call the tenant during normal office hours. Not a good idea to be inside when they lock it because the door cannot be opened from the inside when locked.

Instead of a storage unit, renting a shop space for a little bit more money is much better. The location near me allows 24/7 access and the only thing that they forbid is someone sleeping there. Also, each shop space has gas heating, electricity, running water, and a restroom (toilet and sink). I was told that some of the larger shops also have a shower. Some of the tenants there have regular business hours and an area for customers to visit the business. Definitely worth considering.
Resident timer maker. :hi:
Let’s make timers together!
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

Welcome to the forum, timbuit.
In a hotel or motel they usually have a refrigerator for your ice cubes to store.
You are then limited that you do not make too much noise.
And make sure you are out of your bondage in time before they come to clean the room. :shock:
timbuit

Post by timbuit »

ruru67 wrote:It's going to depend a lot on the storage place, but you need to keep in mind that storage units have keeping goods dry and secure as their priorities. Things that are not priorities are sound insulation, privacy, hygiene, and comfort. If there are odd noises coming from your unit, you risk being noticed. Units are unlikely to be lockable from the inside, so a concerned citizen is likely to investigate, or report to the storage company's management. Also, storage units are for storage, not activities - peculiar visiting practices (many visits without much movement of goods) are likely to arouse suspicion, e.g. of drug use/production, illicit storage of (stolen) high-value small goods, or attempts to access neighbouring units.
What if you are storing yourself :wink:

I most likely wouldn't use this method for pretty much all of the reasons you listed above. I'm looking for some affordable options as where I live has a bit of a housing crisis right now, so renting even a 1 bedroom apartment alone is very expensive, let alone a full house.
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

timbuit wrote:
ruru67 wrote:It's going to depend a lot on the storage place, but you need to keep in mind that storage units have keeping goods dry and secure as their priorities. Things that are not priorities are sound insulation, privacy, hygiene, and comfort. If there are odd noises coming from your unit, you risk being noticed. Units are unlikely to be lockable from the inside, so a concerned citizen is likely to investigate, or report to the storage company's management. Also, storage units are for storage, not activities - peculiar visiting practices (many visits without much movement of goods) are likely to arouse suspicion, e.g. of drug use/production, illicit storage of (stolen) high-value small goods, or attempts to access neighbouring units.
What if you are storing yourself :wink:

I most likely wouldn't use this method for pretty much all of the reasons you listed above. I'm looking for some affordable options as where I live has a bit of a housing crisis right now, so renting even a 1 bedroom apartment alone is very expensive, let alone a full house.
Instead of looking for a small apartment, look for a small space like a studio or shop where you can rent a space for “business” or “hobby” purposes. Those rentals allow tenants to do things that would be forbidden in a dwelling contract like build walls, add things, or install hardware into the walls, floors, and ceilings. I helped convert a space previously occupied by a religious organization into a dungeon with 6 ceiling mounted hard points for suspension. We removed some walls and redid the flooring (no more carpet). Had to do a little bit of painting, but the dungeon area already had black walls and ceiling tiles.
ruru67

Post by ruru67 »

Riddle wrote:Instead of looking for a small apartment, look for a small space like a studio or shop where you can rent a space for “business” or “hobby” purposes. Those rentals allow tenants to do things that would be forbidden in a dwelling contract like build walls, add things, or install hardware into the walls, floors, and ceilings. I helped convert a space previously occupied by a religious organization into a dungeon with 6 ceiling mounted hard points for suspension. We removed some walls and redid the flooring (no more carpet). Had to do a little bit of painting, but the dungeon area already had black walls and ceiling tiles.
Yeah, but such a space is likely to have an extra digit on the monthly rental compared to a storage unit.

My partner leased a whole (de-consecrated!) church as a kink space ... it was expensive, and there were reasons it had been de-consecrated - it's really hard to heat 200 sqm of space with a high vaulted ceiling, and the roof was in serious need of some love. We did ring the church bell just before we locked up for the last time though!
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

ruru67 wrote:
Riddle wrote:Instead of looking for a small apartment, look for a small space like a studio or shop where you can rent a space for “business” or “hobby” purposes. Those rentals allow tenants to do things that would be forbidden in a dwelling contract like build walls, add things, or install hardware into the walls, floors, and ceilings. I helped convert a space previously occupied by a religious organization into a dungeon with 6 ceiling mounted hard points for suspension. We removed some walls and redid the flooring (no more carpet). Had to do a little bit of painting, but the dungeon area already had black walls and ceiling tiles.
Yeah, but such a space is likely to have an extra digit on the monthly rental compared to a storage unit.

My partner leased a whole (de-consecrated!) church as a kink space ... it was expensive, and there were reasons it had been de-consecrated - it's really hard to heat 200 sqm of space with a high vaulted ceiling, and the roof was in serious need of some love. We did ring the church bell just before we locked up for the last time though!
I rented a 20ft X 30ft shop for less than $380 a month and the utilities brought the total monthly cost to about $600 per month during the winter. A 15’ X 20’ storage unit was $109 a month. Around here, studio apartments (no bedroom) rent for about $800 or more a month not including utilities. Of course, every city is different, but, since it’s possible, may as well check out the local options. I’m suggesting a very small space with only enough room for a small play space and something like an inner wall or door to prevent people from seeing stuff they shouldn’t see. Might find something good enough that has inexpensive rent because of the small size.
vm1971

Post by vm1971 »

Anything private where you're not breaking the law or a contractual agreement in some way is going to be too expensive.

I suggest buying an old van (windowless or very well covered windows), removing everything in the back, laying down some carpet and installing whatever anchor points you want. A true kidnapmobile.

This gives you the flexibility of relocation. Maybe you want to be kidnapped in the woods... or an industrial park... or in an underground parkade etc etc
timbuit

Post by timbuit »

I rented a 20ft X 30ft shop for less than $380 a month and the utilities brought the total monthly cost to about $600 per month during the winter. A 15’ X 20’ storage unit was $109 a month. Around here, studio apartments (no bedroom) rent for about $800 or more a month not including utilities. Of course, every city is different, but, since it’s possible, may as well check out the local options. I’m suggesting a very small space with only enough room for a small play space and something like an inner wall or door to prevent people from seeing stuff they shouldn’t see. Might find something good enough that has inexpensive rent because of the small size.[/quote]

Wouldn't the landlord be interested in what kind of business you would be running from your shop? I'd guess they would want to rent to someone with longevity and as such want to know what you are doing with the space.
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

timbuit wrote:Wouldn't the landlord be interested in what kind of business you would be running from your shop? I'd guess they would want to rent to someone with longevity and as such want to know what you are doing with the space.
The location where I rented the shop was friendly and did do some chatting with me. My initial reason for the rental was my need for more storage space than the 15’X20’ storage unit and 20’X30’ shop was adequate. The rental agreement itself only had space for a single name of the person renting it and no place for a business name. The property manager had no need to know any business details. However, I voluntarily disclosed that I had a possible business plan that would make use of some of the space. The main reason for that discussion was to make sure that the electrical of the space had adequate power available for the required machinery. Noise restrictions were also discussed so I knew that an air compressor (very noisy) was authorized.

My shop was in the middle of a whole series of shops and each one was occupied for whatever reason someone felt was important enough for them to pay the rental cost and utilities each month. The manager told me that for a while (years type while) many of the shops had been rented out to hobby race car owners for somewhere to repair and store their cars and associated parts and equipment. One of the two available shops when I went to rent one had a nasty looking floor that had a bunch of places where the paint was chipped off and then over that was fresh paint splatter of a different color and type. When I mentioned the floor condition, the manager explained that the previous occupant only had it a couple months just to refinished a vehicle. As soon as the person finished the car, they cleared out the space and ended their lease.

Another tenant there actually had multiple shop and storage units and had been renting them for years. The individual had multiple businesses and personal craft hobbies. That person had good relationships with the manager and office clerk there. Just like I never had to inform the office of the contents of my units, they never had to explain or justify their rental requirements or disclose anything about the contents or activities of their units. The only issue that occurred was one incident where the corporate manager went through the area late at night and knocked on the door of their shop and found out that the tenant had been sleeping there. The manager found it out because the tenant was in pajamas and took a long time getting to the door. Now, the corporate office is demanding that the renter vacate all their units and the tenant cannot find adequate space elsewhere.

Due to privacy and discrimination laws, landlords are not eager to require any more information from their tenants than the law requires. For security purposes, management does not want to know the contents of their units so that thieves cannot blame them as the source of information used in the theft. So, the landlords have incentives to not know your business and they are only concerned about 2 things: the rent each month and the absence of any legal headaches. As far as renting a space goes, I would recommend having an explanation for your use available, but seriously doubt anyone would actually need it.
BlindMike

Post by BlindMike »

kinbaku wrote:Welcome to the forum, timbuit.
In a hotel or motel they usually have a refrigerator for your ice cubes to store.
You are then limited that you do not make too much noise.
And make sure you are out of your bondage in time before they come to clean the room. :shock:

I've sometimes thought a motel or hotel room could be a sure fire back up release method if you get stuck. The morning housemaid might freak out, but you could always leave a note to " please release me, I did this to myself, the keys are in the ?????????????? " Could be very embarrassing, and you would probably not be welcome back, But, hey, part of the fun ?
"