Should we double lock handcuffs?

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
AllieXBow

Should we double lock handcuffs?

Post by AllieXBow »

Just ordered some handcuffs a few days ago. There could be a double lock mechanism. Is it worth it to engage it? I guess the pros is that it cannot tighten making it safer for your nerves. But on the flip side, it could potentially be much trickier to undo.

Any thoughts?
Restrict one of your senses, you heighten the others. Close your eyes, you can hear better. What if you're unable to move, speak, nor see, yet only able to feel the pressure of the ropes tightly yet blissfully binding your body, how free must the mind be?
Shannon SteelSlave

Re: Should we double lock handcuffs?

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

You should double lock if you plan to struggle or roll on the floor. If it gets too tight, it may inhibit your wrist/hand flexibility. As always, make sure the key holes face your thumbs.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

I usually double lock them. I don't want to run the risk that a wrong move - for example tripping and falling down wrongly - will get the handcuffs stuck in such a way that the blood flow is cut off. Then it gets really hard to get them off. :shock:
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

Imho, don't use cuffs that do not have a double lock. And always use the double lock. Getting it off is not that hard (rotate the key the other way before unlocking the cuffs) but can save your limbs in case of problems. Accidents happen and getting the cuffs ratcheted on too tight can cut off blood supply to your hands. That, combined with the pressure on tendons at the wrist may make getting the cuffs off after that much, much more difficult or even impossible.
Last edited by Gregovic on 18 Sep 2021, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
JIMDINI

Post by JIMDINI »

Gregovic wrote:Imho, don't use cuffs that do not have a double lock. And always use the double lock. Getting it off is not that hard (rotate the key the other way before unlocking the cuffs, but can save your limbs in case of problems. Accidents happen and getting the cuffs ratcheted on too tight can cut off blood supply to your hands. That, combined with the pressure on tendons at the wrist may make getting the cuffs off after that much, much more difficult or even impossible.
I agree whole heartedly. Also you can get double locking cuffs (e.g. Clejuso) that unlock the double lock in the same direction as releasing the lock.
Never confuse your ambitions with your abilities. If you can't free yourself, who will?
When your helpless, you have no choice but to wait.
Lotharjulz

Post by Lotharjulz »

Last edited by Lotharjulz on 30 Jul 2023, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

The cheap basic handcuffs I have don't double lock but a small cable tie round the teeth of the ratchet just clear of the mechanism will prevent it closing any further.
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

In my experience with handcuffs, double locking them is very important for safety. If one gets their wrist in the handcuffs just right and turns their wrist, the handcuffs will tighten up too much and make removal scary. It is not that difficult to unlock both the double lock and single lock. The hard part is getting the key in the proper hole all the way; turning the key is easy from there.
Resident timer maker. :hi:
Let’s make timers together!
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

Sergio wrote:The cheap basic handcuffs I have don't double lock but a small cable tie round the teeth of the ratchet just clear of the mechanism will prevent it closing any further.
When I was little I had plastic handcuffs made from children's toys - only the chain between them was metal. To prevent them from closing too much, I had elastics wrapped around the tooth in the right place so that it formed a stop that prevented the handcuff from closing any further.

With the real ones I learned in the beginning how to position the key's beard so that I can insert the key directly when I find the key hole.
AllieXBow

Post by AllieXBow »

Just received them in the mail today =) I asked the seller and they told me it was single locking. However, I noticed a double locking slot in the advertising picture so I decided to take my chances and go for it anyway.

It was hard to find handcuffs without the safety tab where Im at.

My wrists are like tiny, 5.5 inches and it goes past the last click (on chain variant) . But it fits nicely. I might not even need double lock as it can't go any further. However I lock them on looser and apply double lock to be safe.

Also I didn't realise handcuffs would be so loud. Im afriad neighbouring room will hear the clickclickclickclick. And heavy. I have to turn the key while applying them to be silent
Attachments
IMG_20210920_154548_compress57.jpg
Restrict one of your senses, you heighten the others. Close your eyes, you can hear better. What if you're unable to move, speak, nor see, yet only able to feel the pressure of the ropes tightly yet blissfully binding your body, how free must the mind be?
ponylady

Post by ponylady »

Sergio wrote:The cheap basic handcuffs I have don't double lock but a small cable tie round the teeth of the ratchet just clear of the mechanism will prevent it closing any further.
Well, double lock shouldn't really be much more expensive. Get a new pair; it will spare you a lot of trouble If you use them regularly.
[
Lotharjulz

Post by Lotharjulz »

Last edited by Lotharjulz on 30 Jul 2023, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

ponylady wrote:
Well, double lock shouldn't really be much more expensive. Get a new pair; it will spare you a lot of trouble If you use them regularly.
They were about £5 a few years ago while double locking started at about £25. Using a cable tie doesn't prevent double locking as well but makes it easier to find the right position especially if doing it yourself with limited reach.