Spam warning!

News and announcements will be posted here.
anna
Site Admin

Spam warning!

Post by anna »

I have received a lot of Spam the last week or two and I think that it is cased by me having my email address posted publicly in this forum. Several of the members her have their email addresses made public, anyone can view your address, including Spam-bots. (Spam robots that harvest websites for email addresses to add to their masters mail lists.)

To fix this, open your profile information and change “Always show my e-mail address:â€
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

another tip is to post your address like this:

curious_sb@NOSPAMhotmail.co.uk (my pseudo account)

When the spam-bots scan the site they will use this address "as it is captured", but it wont get anywhere, and most people know about this and if they genuinely want to contact you they will know to remove the NOSPAM bit anyway.
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
LoRee
Retired Moderator

Post by LoRee »

I like that, only I think I'll be a little cruder. :evil:
"I find it far more annoying when the universe makes me work for damnation. I prefer it just gave it to me and save me the effort"
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

Just a friendly word of warning. If you need a new password because you have forgotten the old one, it will be automatically sent to the email address registered in your profile.
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

Oh yeah good point....better change that then.
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
LoRee
Retired Moderator

Post by LoRee »

So like if I forget my name (which is highly more likely) does that mean I can't come in anymore? :twisted: :lol: :shock: :P
"I find it far more annoying when the universe makes me work for damnation. I prefer it just gave it to me and save me the effort"
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

Yes, you must use correct user name and password to log in to the forum. But finding your name again is not very hard. :lol:

I am no longer sure if it is possible to get a new password if you do not have the correct email address in your profile, perhaps it is possible after all. :?
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

Thats not "strictly" true, of course if you forget your name you could come back on, but you'd need to re-register and choose a different name (and start a fresh with your posting statistics).
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator