Im posting

Test posting here if you are unsure how to do, posts here are deleted eventually. Nothing will break if you do something wrong.
batr

Im posting

Post by batr »

and nothing is happening. :(
My Tumblr
Only worth looking at if you like shibari.
bound_jenny

Re: Im posting

Post by bound_jenny »

Probably because your first few posts here must be approved by a moderator or admin before they become visible.

This is an anti-spam measure that creates a minor inconvenience for new members (patience) but helps the moderator team quickly identify and mercilessly send into oblivion any potential spammers that try to come and pollute our nice clean forum. It sometimes takes a little time for the first few posts to show, but there are enough moderators here to keep the delay down to a few hours.

That's why you and all the other members here have a tidy space to have fun in. 8)

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
KinkInSpace

Post by KinkInSpace »

I'd like to add to the above post explaining why this method (although not so friendly to newcomers) is very effective against spammeres.

A spambot has only one goal, to spread a hyperlink (clickable link to another website) on as many pages as possible.

Even though you would say: but I won't be clicking those links anyway, so what's the point? They don't want you to click the link. They want search engines like google to find the links.

Search engine bots (also known as spiders) have a big collection of websites, and they basically browse all the pages on the website and when they find a link, they follow it to an off-site location.

Search engine bots crawl webpages about once every 10 minutes searching for new content, leading to new links.

Now, that said, here's why they do it:

The more different pages link to one specific site, the higher the priority is being given to give that webpage a top spot in the search results. Even if the post with the link is deleted after 15 minutes, most webcrawlers (search engine bots) have already visited the page at least once, causing the spamlink to gain in popularity.

By requiring moderation approval for posts, these links are not appearing on the site at all, which means that spambots won't gain from posting here, which results in they lose interest in investing time in placing links on this site using manual labor.

This means that only automated bots try to post here, and they get mostly blocked by anti-spambot registration methods. (the best one still today is using a password protected directory on the server, and presenting the login details either on the page before and/or in the login box itself. I've stopped spam to 0% with this method on 5 sites succesfully now and the only reason I didn't do it on the 6th was because there was no 6th to do it on. :P)
Formally known as Slave_L.
I'm not yet very comfortable expressing my love for kink from my private life. I will therefor hide behind my username KinkInSpace and not allow any connections to who I really am. I'm sure you'll understand.
lj

Post by lj »

Slave_L thanks for the helpful explanation :)

As Jenny says, we moderators are spread across the world and with our work/life patterns, it is rare for a newcomer's post to not be approved within a few hours. Since we started with this anti-spam approach we haven't had any spammers polluting the site. We occasionally have to deal with a camouflaged spammer, someone who pretends to be an OK person by posting a couple of times to gain access then starts trying to sell something or place links. Just as we can approve a newcomer in a few hours, so can we delete and ban a spammer in a few hours. Also, anyone who seems to be a bit suspicious will also be watched carefully and get a warning or simply zapped. We do communicate with each other !
be a switch, double the fun :-)
Dark_Lizerd

Post by Dark_Lizerd »

Don't you just wish, that instead of zapping the user ID into NoWhereLand, you could send the person as well???
After a while, No Where will become Some Where where No One will want to be...

Yes... we can dream...
All advice is checked, re-checked and verified to be questionable...
Don't ask, we both wont understand the answer...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/09dtr ... e_V2_2.exe Not just for nubies any more...