A selfbondage tragedy

Forum rules and general information.
tiemeupalso

Re: A selfbondage tragedy

Post by tiemeupalso »

theres nothing wrong with cuffs,chain and locks.
its the rope around the neck that KILLS
lj

Post by lj »

tiemeupalso wrote:theres nothing wrong with cuffs,chain and locks.
its the rope around the neck that KILLS
sadly there are ways to die using those as well

A while ago I had the unpleasant opportunity to see the photos of a death that appeared to be self-bondage-related. The victim had tied his cuffs to a rope fixed above his head, used other ropes to secure his folded legs and had misjudged the supporting rope length when he lost his balance. The coroner recorded death by suffocation - a consequence of the severe tension applied to his chest muscles by his own body weight. Apparently this is what kills a crucifixion victim.

And of course there is the simple death by dehydration (starvation works, but slower) whilst securely chained to a fixed point with a failed emergency release and no back-up. The list is long.
be a switch, double the fun :-)
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

That goes for hog ties and suspensions as well. I have heard of strict hog ties that arch the back and especially those that force the head back can bend the neck into an awkward position that can restrict breathing. Made worse by the use of a gag. Does there exist a list of self bondage "no-nos"? You know, things that should not be done or attempted without a partner?
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ 
lj

Post by lj »

Shannon SteelSlave wrote: things that should not be done or attempted without a partner?
no, because what may be fine for me may not work for you.

A simple example, My nose, despite being a bit above average size, is pretty useless for breathing through - it was always narrow, but a head-on car crash reduced the through-way even more! So a mouth-filling gag could easily result in a severe restriction on breathing or even suffocation, whilst you may breathe freely through your nose alone.

Then you get onto more complex things, your example of severe bending is a typical case. I am, for my age, very supple, someone half my age (or a quarter!) may be unable to sustain a position, that I can hold, without serious strain or muscle damage.

Then there is hardware. Your idea of a suitable wrist cuff may work for you but cause nerve damage for someone else.

But of course there are some obvious no-no scenarios for self-bondage.

Anything round the throat, even something rigid that can't tighten, can always be twisted and compromise breathing.

Anything fully blocking the mouth ( ball-gag, butterfly or other inflatable gag) leaves you with just the nose. Try vomitting through your nose - it will go the easy way, into your lungs. (or you just have an ineffective nose like me!)

Complete enclosure in rubber - why? because your temperature regulation relies on you being able to sweat, so prolonged restraint could allow your body temperature go into over-drive

Head in an airtight enclosure

all of these can be safe (ish) with a skilled and observant partner, or with very carefully thought-out emergency release - except the last, because partial suffocation can cause brain malfunction, initially losing the ability to think rationally (ask a pilot who flies too high without oxygen)
Shannon SteelSlave

This will do just fine to explain, thanx, LJ. If there are any hard and fast rules, let us know. With everything in life being a risk, and us 2, labeled as kill joys, I can see why a big rule book does not exist. You are doing great though, and thanx again.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ 
johnjr824

Post by johnjr824 »

Unfortunately, this happens way too often. Even once is too many, but I really can understand how it can happen. I have noticed that once you go down the rabbit hole, for me anyway, there is no comfortable level to stop at. It pulls you deeper and deeper down. In the beginning, I was happy with a little duct tape around my wrists and ankles, now I have gotten riskier and riskier with it. We really need to ban together and make it more of an accepted practice, so that people will not be afraid or embarrassed to ask someone to check on them, or even help them out. I am lucky and have a wife that accepts my addiction, and helps me out if I get stuck, or attempting something risky.
Shannon SteelSlave

johnjr824 wrote:We really need to ban together and make it more of an accepted practice, so that people will not be afraid or embarrassed to ask someone to check on them, or even help them out.
That is one thing we try to do here. From my point of view, I have had to understand that these activities we call "games" or "kink", or "self bondage" are things most people do not do, and will not accept without condition. I suppose there is a fair chance you will find someone who will give you 1 chance, and after they rescue you, it becomes a secret between you, but usually on the condition you don't do it again. But I think the risk of being labeled a self harmer is too great. That conclusion combined with the wrong kind of exposure can lead to severe alterations in personal life.
These are the things I think about and will avoid, through practices of safety. Having said that, I know that trust and a human back up are the best course. But I have my limitations.
๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ 
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

johnjr824 wrote:Unfortunately, this happens way too often. Even once is too many, but I really can understand how it can happen.
That is why I once registered. Someone wanted to perform a self-bondage scenario that was too dangerous. A few months later, I fell into the same trap, and thankfully, I was warned by some of the members of BoundAnna. :facepalm:
So know yourself, but also always be wary of everything that could go wrong (Murphy's law).
Therefore write about it on this site if you have any doubts about a scenario. Many know more than one.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

kinbaku wrote:
johnjr824 wrote:Unfortunately, this happens way too often. Even once is too many, but I really can understand how it can happen.
That is why I once registered. Someone wanted to perform a self-bondage scenario that was too dangerous. A few months later, I fell into the same trap, and thankfully, I was warned by some of the members of BoundAnna. :facepalm:
So know yourself, but also always be wary of everything that could go wrong (Murphy's law).
Therefore write about it on this site if you have any doubts about a scenario. Many know more than one.
That's part of why we're here. To give that outside view that could save a life or save someone's health. In French we say un autre son de cloche, which is literally "the sound from another bell", i.e the vital one one doesn't hear ringing because of the din of all the other bells clanging away from excitement, etc.

And, as I always add: why do we do it? Because we care.

Best reason ever. All your lives are precious.

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
lj

Post by lj »

and why I don't care if people think I am being an over-cautious kill-joy when I point out potential dangers in a scene. I know from my own mistakes that it is far too easy to not think things through - fortunately I have always survived my mistakes, but it only takes that next mistake...

and of course accidents happen

and over-active hormones blurring common-sense
wayne

Post by wayne »

anna wrote:Recently we have been informed that a selfbondage practitioner has been found dead.

The person who has emailed us didn't give much details about the incident, she just pointed out that the victim was doing selfbondage with handcuffs, a timed release method and that he had a rope around his neck. The rope somehow tightened and he suffocated to death when he tried to reach the key.

We the staff are deeply touched as the victim was a like-minded person. We would like to send our condolences to the family and we would like to take the opportunity of turn this tragedy into something positive to prevent that never again we'll have to lament the lost of a human life while doing selfbondage.

We would like to remind our readers that there are a lot of safety tips in the main site:
Boundanna.com Safety tips

There is also a whole safety subforum in the selfbondage category:
Forum Boundanna Safety subforum

And in the software subforum you'll find a safety post warning about the use of selfbondage programs:
Read before downloading and using forum software

If you have any safety doubt, if you consider that there is not enough safety information in the forum or you need any kind of help please feel free to contact with any of the staff members or just open a new thread.

Play safe!

The moderation and administration team.
Hi; I'm really not a new member, My old password wouldn't work so I created a different account. I went by wayneheidlebaugh but had problems logging in. now I just use my name wayne and now I live in Longview,WA. You remember the post about the ball and chain years ago, listed as "Look what just arrived."
Shannon SteelSlave

I knew it was you before, Wayne, but now I have no doubt. Your old New Member Introduction page is still getting replies. Do you want your old account back? All you need is to verify your old email address to someone with access to the Administration control panel.
Anyway, the search term "Look what just arrived" returns 42 pages of hits. Maybe if you could find it, by remembering an obscure member who replied to it, search their posting history, and replying to that thread?
๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ 
TSM

Post by TSM »

stacytiedandgagged wrote:This is why I never use cuffs, you cannot undo them like rope or work on them. Fortunately I hate that kind of self bondage involving cuffs / chains and restraining your oxygen supply is not just dangerous it is daft
Hello,
I don't share your view of things. The cords can tighten on their own if you pull on them. The chains loosen when you don't pull on them.

Sadness for the deceased.

Personally, I recommend :
- Don't put anything that tightens around the neck (a chain is possible in some cases).
- Do not use a closed gag. If you have a coughing fit, it's dangerous and vomiting can be fatal. Gastric juices burn the pulmonary alveoli and this is irreversible if not fatal.
The best fetish is the one that allows you to flourish