Spanking machines. Does anyone own a SOM II?

This is the place where you can share your thoughts on selfbondage with like minded people.
OrgasmAlley

Re: Spanking machines. Does anyone own a SOM II?

Post by OrgasmAlley »

Tenderfoot88 wrote:Hmm, looks a lot like that could be a Robospanker minus the case.
Forgot one thing... the pink machine is not commercially available, but is a shoelace whipper used for videos on Pain4Fem. Quite entertaining videos, although they're clearly faking the PC control (look where the wires go ;). Highly effective design for relatively light weight effectors, flexible so they can pass a full circle, but no control over striking force.

Regards,
Paul
Brand X mk2

Post by Brand X mk2 »

*Gulp* Looks like I'm going to be doing my grocery shopping in the cheap supermarkets for the next few months. I just blew all my pocket money on a SOM II. :o
After taxes (not cheap in the UK) the total is going to come out at around £1000. Wow, I haven't spent that much cash for a while.
seejay62

Post by seejay62 »

Well, I have had one for a couple of years. Now I've posted a video of what it does on spankingtube. http://www.spankingtube.com/video/53843 ... ic-ii-demo if anyone has an interest.
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

Nice spanking, thanks for sharing it! Looks like Bench, standard SOM head, standard paddle w/ holes, SOM2PC from the laptop. The resulting paddle-shaped mark looks impressive. Would you mind if I linked to this video from my "See" page? http://www.orgasmalley.com/som/som2-video.htm

Regards,
Paul
seejay62

Post by seejay62 »

That would be fine with me
SandiaParkspankee

Post by SandiaParkspankee »

I own a SOM2 and of course there are pros and cons.
PRO
Can hit very hard, can't imagine you would need a stronger machine
If your creative you can turn almost any thing into a effector. (More later)
PC software can deliver a very realistic punishment, especially with Automator
PC software can be controlled by a remote dom. Not just for self spanking
Unit is durable.
CONS
The base without spank bench, tends to move, you have to weight it down or fasten it.
Takes a bit of work to get it adjusted if you like to try a lot of different positions
Hand control is good, but PC software v makes it great. ( adds cost)
Unit is expensive, especially if you add all the upgrades.

I have been self-spanking since I was a child. My fetish is extreme. Dreamed for year's about a self-spanking machine because I lived where it was very difficult to find partners. Sure you can visit a Pro but at $300/hour the SOM2 pays for itself. Even if you visit a Dom once a month the SOM2 with all bells and whistles comes out ahead. If you are at all handy, you can come up with your spanking bench on the cheep. One idea is a 4 point restraint on the bed with an ice lock. But keep in mind the SOM takes up a lot of room, and if you can't keep it set up all the time, packing it away will be a chore. I have a room I keep locked as my own personal dungeon. I don't think you would be able to use this in a apartment. I have 2 gallon compressor I bought at Harbor Freight for around $100. But I run the hose into another room, so the compressor sound does not distract.

I also use my own effectors, some I purchased from Cane-i-ac.com, some I've made. Hard to explain but you can make a strap work if you add a stiffener. My go to effector though is a 2x24x1/4 stick you can get a home depot for 2 bucks. I extend the striker with a 3/8x3/8 square dowel. These are held in place with hose clamps. Works very well and effector can be changed out quickly. Canes also work but they cannot be too whippy. The acceleration of the striker is so quick that the tip of the came has barely moved before the striker has finished it's travel. Depending on the came it will either break or wrap at higher power. 1/4 inch Delrin cane will wrap and draw blood. Not what I am looking for.

I like to use an ottoman as a spanking bench for a somewhat OTK experience. Or a workbench from Costco for a bent-over scene. If you have the money I would just get the SOM2 with the attached bench. But then you are kinda locked into one position. I've also made a system where I use a winch from Harbor Freight to tie my hands above my head with my feet shackled to a spot on the floor. My point is that having options for more positions is nice. If you add the PC software, and figure out a self-bondage lock, you can probably get the most realistic scene, you can get without a partner.

Power; Let's talk power, I run my compressor at about 90, you can go up to 150. I am usually at a power setting of 3, where it starts to feel like a real spanking. I have not gone past 5. I have the cheap Robo spanker from the EU, it is a child's toy, the other RoboSpanker cannot paddle me hard enough. Tried it at a show. Only the SOM can truly do a spanking justice. If you are one of the types that want to be beaten like Singapore-style canning, this machine can deliver. The only thing that could make this machine better is having two, so you could get it from both sides. also, keep in mind, a partner could adjust if your backside is being damaged in a certain spot and avoid that, a machine will not. But for all of us that cannot seem to find a partner well I cannot say enough how much this machine fulfills my expectations of an almost perfect spanking machine. Unless you wanted to spend 10k on an industrial robot, and go to school for a couple of years to learn how to program it, Might be a fun project.

So to sum up, it pays for itself in 4 pro trips, or 8 if you add all the extras. It can hit harder than most will ever need, but you can upgrade to the dual striker if you need more power. If you are handy, you can make your own bench, from almost anything. Spanking implements can be made from almost anything and can be as cheap as a couple of bucks, to a couple hundred, but the effector needs to be somewhat stiff. Straps can work but may need you to get creative. Paddles work great but you need to get one long enough to cover both sides and get everything to exactly the right position to get good coverage. I don't find it hard but it is a consideration if you are not very handy, and don't want to spend a lot of time trying to get things just right.

Contact me at SandiaParkspankee@protonmail.com if you want more info. Happy spanking
Last edited by SandiaParkspankee on 09 Nov 2021, 03:26, edited 1 time in total.
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

Welcome to Bound Anna, Sandia.
Most pneumatic fittings are rated for at least 90 psi, but make sure that if you are cranking up the regulator, set it for no higher than the lowest rated fitting, hose, valve, ect in your set up. Buy heavier parts if needed to go higher.
Advice for anyone who might read this, it sounds like you know what you are doing.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

Thanks for the great post, Sandia! I'm thrilled to hear that you are so happy with your machine. If you ever decide to look at a quieter compressor, the Home Depot Husky brand has come out with a line of very reasonably priced units that are both capable and quiet.

Any commercial air fitting these days, at least in the US, is easily capable of 150 PSI.... typically 250 PSI. There are many compressors with a turn off rating of 175, and ever 225 PSI.
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

Interesting read. For those in EU looking for a quiet(er) compressor, I've recently purchased this unit: https://www.acg-holten.com/nl/product/c ... eluidsarm/. It's by no means whisper quiet, but it's at least quiet enough I can run it indoors without worrying about the neighbours complaining too much or going nuts with the noise myself. I'd say it's about as loud as most people would put their music.

I have most of the bits I need to try my hand at building my own SOM-like clone. Not because I think I can do it better or cheaper than buying one from OrgasmAlley (I certainly can't) but because I'm an engineer and I like the challenge of building something myself :wink:

@OrgasmAlley, out of curiosity, do you use any buffer tank after the pressure reducer on the compressor or do you find the hosing has sufficient capacity to feed the short spike of "demand" from the cylinder moving without pressure dropping too much?
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

Welcome SandiaParkspankee and thanks for your good post.
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

Gregovic, the hose that comes attached to the SOM is actual rubber (reinforced, of course, but it still handles a decent surge). Note that we're talking about the solenoid valve being energized for something like 50-150 ms.

Have a great build!
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

One other aspect of your question that comes to mind. The control system enforces a cycle time of 0.6 seconds following the valve closure to allow the SOM arm to retract... that value is a a bit of a balance, because the heavy effectors ( like 3/4" oak paddle) won't fully retract in that time. This delay also provides a period for the hose to reach full regulated pressure. I've got a simple button controller that I use sometimes for a more direct feel, and you can tell the difference in power with and without this little delay when you quick-tap multiple strokes manually.
SandiaParkspankee

Post by SandiaParkspankee »

I think the SOM can spank pretty fast, but if you use the hand control you can set the dial too fast for the effector to return. This can cause widely varying strikes. Personally, I like to get the speed set to 5 strikers per minute. This gives a lot of anticipation when the next strike is coming and drags the spanking out. I have tried quick spanking 1 or two minutes as fast as the particular striker can go. Longer seems more satisfying to me.

I just came up with a very cheap versatile spanking bench. I found a plastic 5 shelf unit. you can set it up sort of like a long massage table, using 4 shelves. Or 3 shelves and have a sort of bent-over desk experience, or 3 with the other two attached to the side, to have the classic spanking bench position. There are plenty of ready-made holes in the shelves, to attach restraints. I use webbing straps that you can get in the camping section of your local sporting goods store. Quick easy and cheap and very effective if you spent all your money on a SOM2. I did have to cut a couple of inches off the shelf supports to adjust the bench for my size. And you might want some padding on the shelves. I had a camp sleep mat in my camping gear the worked great, eventually though I have will be going to get some Faux leather at the hobby store and make some cushions.

Remember if you practice self-bondage make sure you have a backup plan, especially with adding something that can hurt.

If people want I can try to upload some pictures.

I am willing to help if anybody has questions, you can email me at SandiaParkSpankee@protonmail.com