Simple Ring Device pulling through?

This is the place where you can share your thoughts on selfbondage with like minded people.
Tenderfoot88

Simple Ring Device pulling through?

Post by Tenderfoot88 »

I just started experimenting with the Simple Ring Device idea (This thing) and I seem to have a problem. Both of my comfortable ropes (the ones I use for bondage rather than securing cargo in my pickup) are pretty free in either direction. I tie one rope to both rings for the anchor point (wrapping the smaller of the two rings, so it can't pull through the larger, since that completely messes up the rope positioning), then pass the other rope through both, then back through one, then around the outside and then back through that same ring. (Which is what I see in the picture.) At this point, it looks very comparable to the picture. I pull the pull cord and the one labeled "connect to ankle cuffs" in the picture to tighten things up, then pull on the pull cord - the rope slides freely through, as expected. I then release that and pull just on the "ankle cuff" rope. There is some resistance, but nowhere near enough. Probably not enough to support the weight of my legs, let alone overpower my quads. If I start over and wrap the pull cord around the outside twice, it binds completely and I can't pull either cord - also not what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions on how to make it bind better in the direction it's supposed to without locking up completely? Or suggestions for alternative ways to rig a rope to shorten when pulled while remaining secure?

(Oddly, I think I found a solution when retrying after tying a noose in the other (anchor) rope, but when I pulled the noose through to just look at the tie itself (so I could figure out what I had done and thus possibly reproduce it), it stopped working entirely (no resistance in either direction).)
bound_jenny

Re: Simple Ring Device pulling through?

Post by bound_jenny »

I've been "using as directed" (with one subtle modification) that thing for years without any trouble as you describe. It has a lot to do with the rope you're using.
Tenderfoot88 wrote:Both of my comfortable ropes
A common error. I tried a "comfortable" rope for that the first time around, and it didn't work because it's too smooth. What I use now is that cheap, rough, 1/4 inch yellow rope (what one member here described as "Christmas tree bondage" rope, because her Dad used to tie up the Christmas tree with it before loading on top of the car to take home - Merry Kinkmas... :mrgreen: ). It has just enough resistance to slip when you pull the pull cord, but it stays stuck when there's tension across it.

Also, the "connect to hand cuffs" end needs a cord that is smaller than the one used on the other side. That will make the rings much freer to move in response to tension on either the pull cord end or the "connect to ankle cuffs" end. I use a short 1/8 inch cord for this.

The subtle modification? I reverse the ankle and wrist ends, so that the ring device is attached to my ankle restraint. It's a lot easier for the pull cord, and it's better to access in an emergency. Otherwise it's exactly as depicted.

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
CaptainJoe

Post by CaptainJoe »

Hi Tenderfoot,

you need to use two rings of the same size, otherwise you won't get enough friction between the two rings to catch the rope.

HTH,
Joe.

PS @anna: if that pic is of any help, you may use it on the main site.
Attachments
Ring Device
Ring Device
Life is what happens, while you are making other plans.
We won't stop nagging - because we care!
boundsissy

Post by boundsissy »

WOW Looks like a constrictor knot with a midshipman's hitch :wink:
Last edited by boundsissy on 16 Nov 2013, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
LOVE TO ALL
Natale

Post by Natale »

Whether it's a combination of a constrictor knot & midshipman hitch I'm not sure, but even if you are using a suitable rope I will agree with CaptainJoe- it's important the rings are equal sizes. And I can verify that it does really work so plan accordingly! :)
Tenderfoot88

Post by Tenderfoot88 »

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll pick up some dedicated rings today (I had assumed 2 rings from a cockring collection would work), and if that still doesn't work, I'll try some of the more abrasive stuff. I have some jute twine that I could try, since it's actually clean. There's some "Christmas tree bondage rope" :rofl: around, but it's picked up a lot of needles and crap by now, not really the kind of thing I want in my play space. And I know the twine will bite quite effectively - it's at least equally abrasive to the yellow ropes.

As for planning accordingly - I have a set of cuffs I use specifically for experimenting. Neoprene velcro cuffs connected with a large plastic buckle (something you more often see on a backpack/knapsack/rucksack/whatever) I can fasten the cuffs and get the buckle shut in pretty much any position that I can physically get into with my hands that close together, and I can easily reach the release tabs on the buckle or the velcro itself with just the wrists. Since I don't do elbow ties (not flexible enough to get anything out of it, and dangerously hard to get out of), I can go from feeling bound in place to free enough to extricate myself in a matter of seconds. (I tend to switch to something a little more difficult to get out of once I'm comfortable with my ability to tie it properly (and last long enough while secured), since the cuffs are pretty much the exact opposite of strict bondage.) They also have metal loops mounted on each cuff near the buckle, so if I want to tie my wrists to something else, I can do that too.

(The knot in Joe's picture just looks like a fairly standard secure tie down - the kind of thing anyone with much experience using rope to secure cargo, or with nautical inclinations, will tie. There's nothing resembling a hitch in there that I can see...well, the ring is probably movable within the knot, but that'd happen with any knot on a metal loop.)

Edit:
Well, I must admit to being somewhat astonished. We have a very well equipped hardware store in town - the main store is as big as an average grocery store, and it has a fairly extensive lumber yard to boot, and yet it doesn't sell any metal o-rings - nothing even remotely similar, given the complete lack of help offered by the customer service people. Does anyone know what other kinds of stores might carry them?
boundsissy

Post by boundsissy »

Search welded metal rings on Amazon or Ebay. Also I don't know if Home Depot made it to Canada that is were I have bought my rings. They have a good selection of hardware in there rope section. Happy Shopping :hi:
LOVE TO ALL
Tenderfoot88

Post by Tenderfoot88 »

Home Depot, eh? I'd always just assumed that Home Hardware, with their vast store in the middle of town, would have everything the other general hardware stores would have. Thanks.

Unfortunately getting things shipped in isn't really an option for me, due to my present living arrangements.

Edit:
You were right - Home Depot does carry metal rings in its tie downs section. I wonder why the bigger store doesn't...

And it seems getting the sizes equal was all that I needed. Thank you all for your helpful suggestions.
boundbobby

Post by boundbobby »

It's a bowline. Except the one pictured is looped twice. :P
CaptainJoe

Post by CaptainJoe »

boundbobby wrote:It's a bowline. Except the one pictured is looped twice. :P
if you are referring to the red knot on the above pictue, that's a classic I-have-no-idea-what-I'm-doing with a half hitch. Definetly no bowline, most likely just two half hitches. I was concentrating on the white rope and didn't care for the red knot.

HTH,
Joe.
Life is what happens, while you are making other plans.
We won't stop nagging - because we care!
boundsissy

Post by boundsissy »

WOW I did not think my reply was going to become so critiqued. Now I make it a riddle." WOW Looks like a constrictor knot with a midshipman's hitch" is a phrase that you must figure out. No cheating to the one who knows.
to be honest I don't know a square knot from a bow tie. HAVE FUN :rofl:
LOVE TO ALL
hog.tied

Post by hog.tied »

i had the same problem and solved it by using 3 rings instead of 2. Of course you have to use rings of the same size. picture should explain how to pull the rope through the rings.
Attachments
"3 rings" ring device
"3 rings" ring device
Tenderfoot88

Post by Tenderfoot88 »

Hmm, I'll have to try that if I find a need for a particularly tight one. Thanks!