Ropes: Length, Material etc

This is the place where you can share your thoughts on selfbondage with like minded people.
john

Ropes: Length, Material etc

Post by john »

What sort of ropes do you prefer for selfbondage? Im looking to buy some new ropes but im unsure what to get. What materials and length do you prefer? Anything else you look out for?
Thanks for the advice
kinbaku

Re: Ropes: Length, Material etc

Post by kinbaku »

I use just about any kind of rope (such as sisal, hemp, shibari rope), but for trying a few things, a cheap rope from a DIY store will suffice. Only then I would not go for a thin soft fabric rope because it is difficult to untie the knots there. A smooth nylon rope, on the other hand, is bad because the knots slip easily free. The rope should also not be too stiff and/or curl up.

I bought 6mmx15m (50 ft) Polypropylane rope for 2.95 euros ($3) and mostly I cut it in 2 pieces (25 ft): easier to handle. The most important thing is that you go for 6 to 8 mm (0.24-.0.31 inch) diameter. Only for CBT I use a slightly smaller diameter.

Afterwards you can go for more expensive rope as you can get in bondage shops.
Amordaza

Post by Amordaza »

john wrote:What sort of ropes do you prefer for selfbondage? Im looking to buy some new ropes but im unsure what to get. What materials and length do you prefer? Anything else you look out for?
Thanks for the advice
I think the most important issue with rope is how it feels on the skin. I'm somewhat finicky on that point: I don't like rope that feels too rough (for example, the scratchiness of hemp rope scares me). I think you'll need to buy several types of rope to see what you like best.

The rope I used to buy, IIRC, is 1/4 inch cotton rope (typically sold as clothesline rope). I found a place that sold it, and it was both the diameter I wanted, and it was as soft on the skin as I wanted (some cotton and nylon ropes feel too rough to me).

However, I moved some years ago and have trouble finding the cotton. I believe my current rope set is nylon.

As for length, I typically buy a coil of 100 feet and then roughly follow the guidelines suggested in Jay Wiseman's bondage book:
  • Cut the 100 foot rope in half to get two 50 ft pieces of rope
  • Cut one of the 50 ft pieces in half to create two 25 ft pieces of rope
  • Cut one 25 ft piece of rope in half to create two 12.5 pieces of rope
As I typically like more short lengths than long lengths (I often bind my legs at the ankles, below the knees, above the knees, etc.), I typically cut the other 50 ft piece into a 25 ft piece and cut the other 25 ft piece into two more 12.5 ft pieces.

For tying my toes, I prefer to use shoe laces or some other thinner but soft piece of rope. It's easier to get a nice secure toe tie with thinner cord. Shoe laces seem to be perfect for the job.
rmcingle

Post by rmcingle »

Depends upon what I am after.

Sometimes a rough sisal or hemp rope can provide a delightful torment.

If I expect it to support my weight and not break I would prefer a good 3-strand nylon rope.

If I will need to untie it myself I would much prefer a double braided rope. Double braided is also preferred if the rope will be taught against bare skin and you don't want to get pinched.

R.Mc.