Detecting breath with gas mask - but no fogging?

This is the place where you can share your thoughts on selfbondage with like minded people.
kinkymaker

Detecting breath with gas mask - but no fogging?

Post by kinkymaker »

Hi kinksters…

In the past I built a breath measurement device using a GP5 gas mask, a bubbler bottle full of salt water and electric contacts glued into the bubbler bottle. The concept was that when I inhaled, it raised the saltwater level inside the bottle and closed the contacts. I played around using the signal to do “voluntary breath play” games, eg where I had to hold my breath for N seconds or get a punishment.

It worked a treat at detecting breath. No matter how quietly or gently I tried to inhale, the water level *had* to rise and so I was always caught!

But there were a few issues that meant I put it in the backburner. The main one was that the GP5 mask eye plates would quickly fog up so I could no longer see my video screen.

So my question is, do you know of a gas mask that doesn’t fog up?

Or is it possible to get a tight fitting breathing mask that doesn’t cover the eyes?

I looked a bit into those snoring masks that look like a gas mask without full face cover, does anyone have experience of those in this sort of application?

Alternatively, any successful experience of detecting inhalation with a different method? I have tried various things like temperature/humidity sensor, pressure inside an inflatable pillow strapped to my chest, etc. None were as reliable as the gas mask bubbler bottle combo.

Thanks!
kinkymaker

Re: Detecting breath with gas mask - but no fogging?

Post by kinkymaker »

Ooh, this might work:

https://thekinksters.co.uk/product/714/ ... y-gag.html

It’s an inflatable gag with a breathing tube passing through the bulb. Coupled with a nose clip this would ensure air had to go through the tube, which could be routed through the bubbler bottle.

The air tube looks pretty narrow though..?
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

If your GP5 keeps fogging up you might want to check your breathing valves and the functioning of the valve box. If the outlet valve sticks shut a bit and the inlet valve stays partially open condensation can build up on the lenses as warm out-breath air flows back through the inlet tubes. The way the GP5 (and most Russian gas masks) work is by having the inlet air come up through tubes directed at the eye glasses/lenses. In the GP5 you should be able to see them coming up as squarish tubes coming up the front from the valvebox at the bottom of the mask to the eyes and ending in an opening at the bottom of each eye hole. The outlet valve is directly at the bottom of the valve box behind the filter cannister threads and should remain unblocked at all times to ensure the outlet valve works properly. It's quite unprotected in the GP5 (and related masks like the SHmS) so be careful it doesn't get folded open on something. A simple test you can do is to first block the inlet tightly with your hand (easiest if you have a hose connected to the mask so you can close the end of the hose) and try to suck in a breath. The mask should suck in and stick to your face. As long as you keep your hand tightly sealed on the opening, the mask shouldn't leak air. If you can feel air coming back into the mask from the bottom your outlet valve is leaking. Then take a good breath in and as best as you can manage cover only the outlet port of the mask tightly. Try to exhale. You should feel the mask blow out from your face and air escaping around the face/head seal. You should not be able to feel air leaking out of the inlet valve/hose (if you want to have an easy tell, tape a small feather or something at the end of the hose connected to the inlet or just to the inlet port and look in the mirror). If either of your valves is leaking try to give it a careful clean with some mild soap and a q-tip or something. If the problem persists and you bought the mask in it's green storage bag, see if there's a small round tin or cardboard pouch in the side pocket of the bag, that should contain a spare inlet and outlet valve (and some other thingamabobs iirc, I can't remember exactly what spares were delivered with the GP5)

I have both a Russian ShMS gasmask and a Chinese made Type 87 (both mostly bought out of curiosity and potential kinky purposes). The ShMS shares it's valve box with the GP5 but has the inlet openings coming from the side of the eyes, giving it the characteristic flat triangular front. I've not had much fogging issues with it the few times I've worn it for longer times (but never over maybe 30 minutes and I've never used it combined with a bubbler or something).
The Type 87 has an asymmetric (left side only) inlet with an inner face piece that seals of the mouth area towards the outlet valve. This forces inlet air up around the eye area and then through an opening at the bridge of the nose down to the mouth and nose. The few times I've worn it, it seems to do an adequate job of keeping the eyes clear but I've never worn it for long as unfortunately it's not the most comfortable mask for me (the upper edge of the inner face piece where the nose protrusion ends is just a little too low and it digs into my nose uncomfortably after some time. The eye lenses also distort like crazy
Neither mask is a good enough fit that I'd trust it in a true NBC hazard scenario with a proper filter (the Russian mask because it's old and the valves stick, the Chinese mask because it's bottom tier manufacture/price and doesn't fit me all that well) but both work good enough for a kink scenario or if I ever find I'm out of proper filters for my half-face mask I use for spray painting and the like.

Forgot to add: In general, basically any gas mask should not fog up too much. If you want a tight fitting mask that doesn't cover the eyes I'd look for a half face respirator with replaceable filters that's used for working with things like paint or organic solvents in the industry (something like this for example. Gut a filter, connect a hose to it and you can use it basically the same as you did your gas mask. If you have a 3d printer I think I've seen adapters for the GOST thread of Russian masks (or the NATO thread of basically all other masks) to the connector used by 3M and some other brands on the industrial masks. Not suitable for true NBC filtering, but fine for kink purposes.
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

kinkymaker wrote:Ooh, this might work:

https://thekinksters.co.uk/product/714/ ... y-gag.html

It’s an inflatable gag with a breathing tube passing through the bulb. Coupled with a nose clip this would ensure air had to go through the tube, which could be routed through the bubbler bottle.

The air tube looks pretty narrow though..?
Not the sort of gag I'd personally use for solo play. Even partnered I'd say caution is advised.
Lotharjulz

Post by Lotharjulz »

Last edited by Lotharjulz on 30 Jul 2023, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

I have read that it is best not to use the filters of the Gp-5 because they contain lead that comes loose over time. The masks from before 1972 and in the 1980s were also said to contain asbestos.
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

kinbaku wrote:I have read that it is best not to use the filters of the Gp-5 because they contain lead that comes loose over time. The masks from before 1972 and in the 1980s were also said to contain asbestos.
The original USSR and even Russian made GP5 filters can contain lead as late as 1991 manufacture from information I've seen. And even after that there've been filters found to contain asbestos (likely as they mixed in old stock during manufacture). I don't think you generally need a filter for kink purposes. If you do, find one that's been from a tested asbestos free batch or from known safe manufacture.
kinkymaker

Post by kinkymaker »

Gregovic wrote:If your GP5 keeps fogging up you might want to check your breathing valves and the functioning of the valve box. If the outlet valve sticks shut a bit and the inlet valve stays partially open condensation can build up on the lenses as warm out-breath air flows back through the inlet tubes. The way the GP5 (and most Russian gas masks) work is by having the inlet air come up through tubes directed at the eye glasses/lenses. In the GP5 you should be able to see them coming up as squarish tubes coming up the front from the valvebox at the bottom of the mask to the eyes and ending in an opening at the bottom of each eye hole. The outlet valve is directly at the bottom of the valve box behind the filter cannister threads and should remain unblocked at all times to ensure the outlet valve works properly. It's quite unprotected in the GP5 (and related masks like the SHmS) so be careful it doesn't get folded open on something. A simple test you can do is to first block the inlet tightly with your hand (easiest if you have a hose connected to the mask so you can close the end of the hose) and try to suck in a breath. The mask should suck in and stick to your face. As long as you keep your hand tightly sealed on the opening, the mask shouldn't leak air. If you can feel air coming back into the mask from the bottom your outlet valve is leaking. Then take a good breath in and as best as you can manage cover only the outlet port of the mask tightly. Try to exhale. You should feel the mask blow out from your face and air escaping around the face/head seal. You should not be able to feel air leaking out of the inlet valve/hose (if you want to have an easy tell, tape a small feather or something at the end of the hose connected to the inlet or just to the inlet port and look in the mirror). If either of your valves is leaking try to give it a careful clean with some mild soap and a q-tip or something. If the problem persists and you bought the mask in it's green storage bag, see if there's a small round tin or cardboard pouch in the side pocket of the bag, that should contain a spare inlet and outlet valve (and some other thingamabobs iirc, I can't remember exactly what spares were delivered with the GP5)
Ahh thank you, that’s really helpful. I did discover the interesting filter system but didn’t test it like this.
If you want a tight fitting mask that doesn't cover the eyes I'd look for a half face respirator with replaceable filters that's used for working with things like paint or organic solvents in the industry (something like this for example. Gut a filter, connect a hose to it and you can use it basically the same as you did your gas mask. If you have a 3d printer I think I've seen adapters for the GOST thread of Russian masks (or the NATO thread of basically all other masks) to the connector used by 3M and some other brands on the industrial masks. Not suitable for true NBC filtering, but fine for kink purposes.
This is a great idea! I didn’t realise those half face respirators were airtight but of course they ate. I will get hold of one and try this!