Improved Maypole

This is the place where you can share your thoughts on selfbondage with like minded people.
Self_Bound_Builder

Improved Maypole

Post by Self_Bound_Builder »

The Maypole design has been around for a while, but it has some practical issues to it. In this build design, I correct a number of those, making it safer, easier to use, and when used with a partner, easier to add laps.

My very large garage (previous owner ran a business out of this space) affords me a very large open space under the main I beam of the building. Where the Maypole is located is 35' x 35', with 12 foot ceilings and no pillars.

Into the concrete floor we installed a "threaded insert" to receive an 12' long x 3/4" 10tpi threaded rod.

Hard Tether:
For the hard tether, we used a 12' section of 1/2" steel pipe (all "steel pipe" is actually DOM tubing), a 4 inch section of 3/4" steel pipe, a section of 3/8" steel plate and a bolt. The ends of the 1/2" steel pipe are both "fork cut". On one side we welded in a small steel plate (to connect to the collar or ball shackle), and on the other end we drilled a 3/8" hole through both ends to serve as a pivot. A section of steel plate was welded to the outside of the 3/4" pipe. The 3/4" pipe serves as a bearing over the threaded rod. The bearing is kept at the same height by 4 nuts on the threaded rod, but will also not kill the person if they fall, need to sit, ect.

Counting mechanism:
I took a 4"x1/2x1" steel plate and drew a line down the center of its length. In the very center, I drilled a 1-1/8" hole for the center nut. 3/4" in from either end, I drilled a hole to receive a 3/8" bolt.
We took a 3/4" grade 5 mild steel coupling nut and welded it in the center hole of the steel plate. In the two 3/8" holes, I welded in 3" lengths of threaded steel rods.
We took a 6" section of U-channel and matched the holes so that the U channel sits on the nut plate, but extends off one side by 2". In the side that extends off, we drilled a 3/8" hole through both sides of the U-bolt.
Two 12-foot lengths of aluminum flat stock run from the U channel to the slide sleeve on the hard tether.

To reset the counting mechanism, lift the u-channel off the counting nut and spin the counting mechanism down to the desired location

Math:
the pole is 12 feet long, so every circle you have to walk when you do a Maypole is about 75 feet. That makes it about 70 turns per mile. The thread is a coarse thread with 10 threads per inch. That would mean its about 7 inches to get the 70 laps for a mile. The average person can walk about 3 miles in an hour (less if hobbled...)

Release:
This setup allows for a variety of mechanical and electronic releases. As you walk around the pole, the counting nut climbs. This allows you to use it to push a button, or simply lift a weight and allow a key to fall, pull a pin release for the hard tether on the bearing or other creative release mechanism.

Bonus:
My wife figured out that she could use a length of bungee attached to the counting mechanism on one side and a fixed location on the hard tether (out past the sliding sleeve) to pull my nuts up the closer I get to release.
Shannon SteelSlave

Re: Improved Maypole

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

Welcome to Bound Anna, Builder. I sense you have much to contribute, so don't be shy. :hi:
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
bounddosster

Post by bounddosster »

Welcome,
Sometimes I find DIY a bore and other times I love it. :)
That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

Welcome Self_Bound_Builder. Since my English is not very good, would it be possible to post pictures or drawing? Mainly the safer system with the 4 nuts and the system of your wife's bonus interest me (and perhaps others too :wink: ).