Rope Anti Fraying Tip By Cerena

This is the place where you can share your thoughts on selfbondage with like minded people.
cerenaselfbound

Rope Anti Fraying Tip By Cerena

Post by cerenaselfbound »

If you use a cotton weave rope or one that frays, wrap the end with tape to prevent this happening.
In the example I've used insulating tape but gaffer is just as good. Scotch cello tape doesn't stick for very long & comes off.
A polypropylene rope can be sealed off at the ends by melting it together with a lit match.
[attachment=0]rope.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
rope.jpg
rope.jpg (82.98 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
Gregovic

Re: Rope Anti Fraying Tip By Cerena

Post by Gregovic »

Personally I prefer a "proper" sailmakers whipping on the ends of my rope, using some cotton twine. If you leave a tuft of unraveled rope on the end, it gives a nice soft end that doesn't whip around so easily and there's no chance of a sticky tape residue mess of cheap tape gone bad that some tapes have. Takes about a minute per rope end once you get the hang of it.
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

I use common whipping most of the time, but also for short experiments the tape methode like Cerena.
For paracord I heat the end with a lighter and then press it flat with the end of a screwdriver to keep the center section from separating from the outer section. The inner and outer then merge into one piece.
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

Heat shrink tubing for sealing electrical wiring works for me.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

Another vote for heatshrink here, but I melt the rope if polypropylene, or if cotton fill the end with glue (rubber solution, impact adhesive, even polystyrene cement) immediately before shrinking, and then cut the end with a work knife to have a clean, solid end and possibly shrink another layer over if it's ended up with a sharp end.
gaby

Post by gaby »

Gregovic wrote:Personally I prefer a "proper" sailmakers whipping on the ends of my rope, using some cotton twine. If you leave a tuft of unraveled rope on the end, it gives a nice soft end that doesn't whip around so easily and there's no chance of a sticky tape residue mess of cheap tape gone bad that some tapes have. Takes about a minute per rope end once you get the hang of it.
I did it at the begining but now I prefer to use silicone. It works perfect. :wink:
davisev5225

Post by davisev5225 »

kinbaku wrote:I use common whipping most of the time, but also for short experiments the tape methode like Cerena.
For paracord I heat the end with a lighter and then press it flat with the end of a screwdriver to keep the center section from separating from the outer section. The inner and outer then merge into one piece.
Sergio wrote:Another vote for heatshrink here, but I melt the rope if polypropylene, or if cotton fill the end with glue (rubber solution, impact adhesive, even polystyrene cement) immediately before shrinking, and then cut the end with a work knife to have a clean, solid end and possibly shrink another layer over if it's ended up with a sharp end.
This. Heatshrink is cheap and common, easy to apply, and does the job for any woven-type of rope other than kern-mantle types of ropes (like paracord).
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

davisev5225 wrote:Heatshrink is cheap and common, easy to apply, and does the job
You can even get some with adhesive on the inside.

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!