500-1000 Autoerotic deaths in the US each year

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
puppydogbytes

500-1000 Autoerotic deaths in the US each year

Post by puppydogbytes »

According to this article in the New York Times between 500 and 1000 people in the USA each year suffer 'autoerotic fatalities', although most are asphyxiation and by no means all include self bondage many of the deaths are definitely linked;

'The hallmarks include: The victim is partly or totally undressed or wearing women's underclothes; asphyxiating devices are arranged so that the victim could have applied and released them; extremities may be bound with ropes or chains.'

Also

'Typically, various rescue devices, such as a knife to cut the cord or a key to unlock a chain, are found near the victim's body.'

And

'According to a spokesman for the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, some 250 of its policyholders die this way each year.'

That's a lot of people - mostly young men.

Of all the ways to go this is not one you want - it's not a good way to be remembered and just think of what it would do to your family.

According to the results of the poll I asked in my true story a narrow escape more than 50% of people who have done self bondage have got stuck at some point.

It's not just asphyxiation, in a similar vain:

Self bondage deaths (I know this has been posted before)
"AN OBJECTIVE OVERVIEW OF AUTOEROTIC FATALITIES" (Read the examples)
A few of the many abstracts on 'PubMed' about autoerotic deaths: A study of 40 autoerotic deaths in Germany - 3 Deaths from different causes - 2 Deaths involving power hydraulics - 1 Death from elecrocution - 1 Death from accidental self-stabbing
Abstract from a paper on links between age, transvestism and self-bondage in 117 autoerotic deaths in Canada
Death of Stephen Milligan MP
Home made vacuum bed death
A vacuum cleaner death
4 Unusual cases including the inhalation of a zucchini! (this is a link to an abstract only but you can buy the full text if you're really interested)
Autoerotic Fatality in a Lake (!??) (this is a link to an abstract only)

Sad, funny, TRUE!!!!

I know that I've had some 'near misses' in the past - I hope now I'm a little older and wiser (older anyway) I'm a bit more hesitant about closing that last lock....

Please can I ask all of you reading this to one thing; just ask yourself 'Just how dangerous is this? If something goes wrong (even though you know it won't) what are the chances that I might die?'

Don't ever tie anything tightly around your neck however much it turns you on and be very careful nothing loose will tighten if you pull on it.

Quote: ''There is an extremely sensitive area of the carotid artery,'' he said, referring to the main artery in the neck that feeds the brain. ''Just turn the wrong way and you become unconscious. You may do it right 40 times, but on the 41st, you may make a wrong move and die.'' Dr. Robert Litman

I'm sure it won't happen to you but somewhere in the US (just the US!) 2 or 3 people kill themselves like this without meaning to every day.

I know you're a bunch of perverts, but I'd like to keep you with us (for a little while at least...)
'In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics' - Homer Simpson
LoRee
Retired Moderator

Post by LoRee »

Duoh!
Homer Simpson
"I find it far more annoying when the universe makes me work for damnation. I prefer it just gave it to me and save me the effort"
jake

Post by jake »

I view asphyxiation like cannabis - if you don't find out how great it feels, you don't want it again, and you're satisfied without it.
Grinser

Post by Grinser »

*sigh* Don`t take it personally, but that attitude is completely against everything I belive in. I mean, you only have one life, so enjoy it the best you can and try everything that comes up. Doesn`t mean you should go and do something stupid, but just don't look at things with this "I'd rather not, I might just like it" attitude. Just how can somebody with this attitude ever improve himself and get to know new things?
There is a beast inside man that should be exercised, not exorcised.
clever

Post by clever »

weed pretty much is asphyxiation, i personally prefer alcohol.
puppydogbytes

Post by puppydogbytes »

Some of these must be eligible for Darwin awards
puppydogbytes

Post by puppydogbytes »

Grinser wrote:*sigh* Don`t take it personally, but that attitude is completely against everything I belive in. I mean, you only have one life, so enjoy it the best you can and try everything that comes up. Doesn`t mean you should go and do something stupid, but just don't look at things with this "I'd rather not, I might just like it" attitude. Just how can somebody with this attitude ever improve himself and get to know new things?
That's not my point at all, what I'm saying is that if you're aware of the dangers you're less likely to come unstuck - I thought that part of the point of this forum was to share knowledge and help people to do things safely.

I'm not saying 'don't do it' I'm saying 'don't die doing it'
diyCheap

Post by diyCheap »

clever wrote:weed pretty much is asphyxiation, i personally prefer alcohol.
alcohol is pretty much doing senseless things, i prefer weed...
even If I haven't smoke since some years.
Alcohol is REALLY dangerous in self boundage , NEVER done it when you have dring a bit.
It alter your perception, making you feel invicible and the right one who know the truth. And that's false, of course.
My only problemes of escaping were under alcohol, and I was lucky enough because I take a great care of my security.
It have never happen with weed, but, it's only my experience, take care and the best is to do it clean
to be explicit, my best exemple will be this one:
take your car, drunken : you feel yourself confident to drive it at 130 miles/h
take your car, under weed: you feel yourself confident to drive it at 50 Miles/h, even less....
on the first option, you have no fear...
on the second, you're quite paranoiac...
I prefer to be paranoiac, when it's self boundage time... it's better to really give every safety form of release in your mind.
With alcohol, you just feel confident on yourself, and that's not true...

We are playing with our death, sometimes, so , we should take care of anything who can alterate our judgement.
the Better still is : CLEAN
You can of course say "i'm not drunken" ot "i'm not stoned", but you are.
each experience about alcohol or weed is personal, but I wanted to warn you about the fact that alcohol is really more dangerous in SB, than weed..
as when driving...
bounded regards
Grinser

Post by Grinser »

@ puppydog, I was not aiming at your post, but at Xatm092`s

And adding to alcohol: under alcohol intoxication, the muscles are very relaxed especially those of the respiratory system , it`s very easy to hurt or asphyxiate yourself when you`re drunk, especially as you tend to feel less pain and have slower reflexes. All good arguments not to mix alcohol with bondage of any kind.
There is a beast inside man that should be exercised, not exorcised.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

The moral of the whole story is, stupidity kills, and that applies everywhere, not just in SB.

What I am about to express may get some people's goats up. That's fine. It's their private business.

I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs. I like to keep a clear head that is not interfered with by some chemical substance in my blood that influences or impairs my judgement, or slowly poisons me to death.

People with impaired judgement get killed, or kill other people, when doing something that requires all one's wits to stay out of trouble, like driving a car.

Mind you, some people don't even need chemicals in their bodies to have poor judgement.

When I'm putting my life, my body on the line, I want all my wits, a clear head, so I don't make any dumb mistakes that would win me the ultimate Darwin award: extinction.

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

Yay I found someone else who uses the term "Darwin awards". I love that term, it sums up so many descriptive terms for "idiots that deserved to die" into just two words.
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
Michelle

Post by Michelle »

I think I said this before in another post, but my opinion on this is:

Being dead makes it really really hard to play bondage after.....

Need I say more?

:wink:
Bound&Helpless

Post by Bound&Helpless »

diyCheap wrote: Alcohol is REALLY dangerous in self boundage , NEVER done it when you have dring a bit.
I agree, any form of alcohol during self bondage is highly dangerous.. dramatically lowers your reaction time and awareness
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

Never take drugs and do bondage, not ever. Unless you are really aiming for Darwin 2008.
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator