Hypothermia issue?

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
Magdalena

Hypothermia issue?

Post by Magdalena »

Hi all,

I woul like to share a concern with you before doing anything stupid.

I received the challenge to take a cold shower of 20 minutes to kick off a painsession.

Normally an endurance challenge is not something I walk away from. But were I live cold showers are really cold. The water is around 3 degrees Celsius and I never spent more than around 7 minutes underneath there.

So I need your advice on this, do it or DON'T?

Thanks!

Have fun!

Grts,

Magdalena
boundsissy

Re: Hypothermia issue?

Post by boundsissy »

Well don't give yourself a case of hypothermia, it is no fun going to a hospital for a session of pain. Just make the water uncomfortably cold, not killer cold.
LOVE TO ALL
lj

Post by lj »

I'd expect your core temperature to be lowered by that kind of exposure.

I've not had personal experience of hypothermia, but as an Expedition Instructor I have had to treat someone with it. The person concerned was on a training expedition in lowland England, wearing slightly inadequate clothing, but got very wet and spent about 10 minutes in strong wind (ideal hypothermia conditions) trying to put up a tent.

She became increasingly irrational. It is that part that would worry me, as if there is no-one else around, you might fail to take action.

Additionally, your body would be far less able to cope with any play, and I doubt you'd be in a mental state to enjoy it.

It also takes quite a while to recover as you can't re-heat someone quickly.

The idea of a cold shower before a caning or whipping is a well-known way of enhancing the pain, but we are talking of a few minutes. 20 minutes is likely to make the experience unpleasant, and not in a nice way.
be a switch, double the fun :-)
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

I just looked up survival times in cold water and at 3C it's between 30 and 60 minutes... But you will begin to experience symptoms of incapacitation (erratic behavior and loss of consciousness) in as little as 15 minutes!

I would not recommend taking that risk - when one is engaging in any kind of kink activity, it's imperative to keep all one' s wits at all times.

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Magdalena

Post by Magdalena »

Thanks all!

The arguments to abstain from this are convincing enough to pass on it. Special thanks to Jenny and Lj for bringing in the facts!

Have fun,

Magdalena
jjim

Post by jjim »

I'm not suggesting trying this, it's fascinating and beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bT1ImMSnq4

Once Harry Houdini did a stunt in a frozen river, but the current took him downstream, and he couldn't find his way back to the hole he went down into. Everyone left, thinking he was dead, but there was a quarter inch of air under the ice. Finally he found the hole to escape...