High Heels is Good Looking, But Dangerous

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
myvinsen

High Heels is Good Looking, But Dangerous

Post by myvinsen »

High heels may be very good looking but very dangerous, if you are going to use High Heels, you may look this topic. SO IF YOU SEE THAT THIS TOPIC IS BORING AND LONG, DO NOT SKIP, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT GUIDE FOR SAFETY. Unfollowing this guide may cause you have injuries.

Let me start:

--------
PART 1
--------

The Killer Heels

Shoes speak with forked tongues. They can be as reliable and comfortable as a nanny, or as dangerous and exciting as a good-time girl out on the town.

The shoes on this page, from the top designers, are definitely for walks on the wild side this Christmas. Sexy and empowering, they have the ability to make ordinary women into supergirls like no other item of dress.

What do they have that women find so enticing and men so awe-inspiring? Quite simply, high heels.

High-heeled shoes - and the higher the better - force women's bodies forward from the pelvis and make them move in a way they simply don't when wearing a pair of wellies or flat pumps.

It's all to do with the movement of the derriere. It's no accident that the Princess of Wales became a truly sexy dresser when she threw away her flatties and went to Jimmy Choo and Manolo Blahnik for high heels.

Legs look better and thighs feel sexier in high heels. But that isn't the whole story. Shoes have special properties because they draw attention to the most erotically under-played portion of the female anatomy: the foot.
Foot worship goes way back to the 13th century and beyond and was a central core of Chinese culture for generations.

But what the shoes here are about is glamour: the amalgam of sexiness and sophistication which only the best designers get right. Compare a shoe by Gucci with a cheaper attempt at the same look (and designer shoes *are* expensive), and you see the difference immediately.

Tinselly sparkle, in shoes as in everything else, needs a sure hand to stop it from slipping into naffery. A good high-heeled shoe has the rhythm of a piece of sculpture and the poise of a complicated feat of engineering. It must have balance and strength, as well as beauty.
It also gives the wearer an erotic charge - even when every step is agony. Indeed the pain is part of the sexuality.

When I researched my book, Shoes & Fashion And Fantasy (Thames & Hudson, £14.95), and talked to women of all ages, both here and in America, they all confirmed that wearing high heels, although very uncomfortable, puts them in charge. And bearing in mind the pain was a crucial part of it; it made them feel strong.

Ask any designer what top models are always most concerned about as they get ready to go out on the runway in front of the glamorous but cruelly bitchy fashion crowd, and they'll tell you that it is the shoes.
Professionals like Naomi Campbell know that selling the clothes is about "walking the walk" - and success on that depends on the shoes and the way the body balances on them.
And in a world dominated by the ruthlessly unsexy trainer, shoes like these have an added charge. When a woman puts on high heels, she has changed from being an amazon of the track to being a mistress of the sophisticated urban world.

The tip-tap of the tiny but tall heels is the new sound and it brings a warning, It's not for nothing that stiletto heels were named after the deadliest rapier of them all. These shoes are killers.

--------
PART 2
--------

Good or Bad?

There seems, no, change that, there IS a general concensus that High Heels are bad for your feet, body, back and just about everything else, including your newly laid wooden floor! I have been reading loads of books on the subject, and also trawled a few web sites, and it's interesting to see that some people actually maintain that heels can be good for you. That's the first time I've heard that one.

What I hope to do here, is put together a list of articles listing the positive side and the negative side of the arguments, so that you can make your own decision as to what you believe. Personally, I think they are probably bad, but I am still selfish enough to hope that women continue to wear them. Maybe not every day, but at least on special occasions.

On the bad side, there are 2 Main topics that have to be read

High Heels Cause Arthritis

Millions of women could be risking arthritis in their knees by wearing high-heeled shoes, doctors have warned.

Tests in which women in high-heels walked along a platform fitted with special sensors showed that their knees were put under sufficient strain to produce the wear and tear which leads to osteoarthritis.

The area of greatest stress was on the inner side of the knee joint - where arthritis is most commonly seen.

Osteoarthritis of the knee is twice as common in women as it is in men - and the researchers suggested in an article in The Lancet medical journal that high heels might be the reason why.

The study was carried out by Dr Casey Kerrigan and colleagues at Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital and Harvard Medical School in Boston, Massachusetts, USA.

They asked 20 healthy women with an average age of 36 to walk along a special platform in bare feet and then in shoes with two-and-a-half inch heels.

Sensors under the platform, and cameras, recorded the movements of the women's ankle and knee joints.

The results showed that when the women were walking in high heels there was greater strain between the kneecap and thigh bone and in the inner side of the knee joint than when they walked with bare feet.

Walking in high heels increased the normal torque forces at the knee by an average of 23%, which imposed a greater stretching force through the lateral knee ligaments.

The researchers pointed out that animal experiments had shown increased strain of this kind led to degenerative changes.

They write: "Our findings confirm that wearing high-heeled shoes significantly alters the normal function of the ankle. Because of this compromise, compensations must occur at the knee and hip to maintain stability and progression during walking. Our findings suggest that most of these compensations occur at the knee."

The doctors said the possibility that high-heeled shoes may contribute to osteoarthritis had not been proposed to date.

They add: "Our findings suggest that further investigations are needed to evaluate a causal relation."

These Shoes Aren't Made for Walking

For a girl who has spent the summer schlepping around in a pair of clogs that verge on orthopaedic, being presented with a pair of four-inch spike heels was a rude awakening.

But this winter, according to the fashion magazines, we are going to be very grown-up, and stiletto heels will become an essential part of every woman's wardrobe.

At the July haute couture show in Paris, Liz Tillberis, editor of the American Vogue, stunned onlookers when she turned up in spindly, creamy-white patent stiletto heels, looking incredibly chic and leaving fashion editors feeling like frumps in their trainers and sandals. Now that glamour has again become a fashion buzzword again, I decided to go with the flow, kick off my comfy flat boats and spend a couple o f days in the sort of shoes I thought only existed in Helmut Newton photographs.

"Unless you have perfect balance, you’ll feel very uncomfortable at first," warned Leila Cerullo, press officer for Vivienne Westwood, who used to practice wearing her heels at home before tackling escalators. Cerullo wears high heels almost every day – but sometimes, she admits, wears trainers into work and changes into her heels when she arrives.

"Complete strangers stop me and ask how I can walk in them," she says, "but if Vivienne can wear them, anyone can."

It was with trepidation that I pushed my toes into a pair of four-inch black stilettos from Faith Shoes and carefully stood up. Adding four inches to your height (I am 5ft 4in) alters your whole perspective on life. Suddenly I found I was staring people straight in the eyes. It felt strangely empowering to tower above a woman standing next to me waiting for the Tube.

Wearing high heels alters your wardrobe. Trousers with stilettos can look too Seventies, short skirts look too tarty, long skirts look middle-aged. The past six months spent swimming and cycling have not resulted in delicately toned limbs, but solid, muscular calves. I’m resigned to the fact that my legs will never look like new supermodel Nadja Auermann’s, however high the heels.

I finally decided on a knee-length dress. My first high-heeled outing was to the cinema to see The Last Seduction, a film about a femme fatale who wears four-inch black suede heels. Only once, when she makes a speedy getaway, does our heroine take off her shoes and run down a street in stockinged feet. In a busy pub before the film, I found that being served proved much quicker with high heels. I could see over everyone’s heads and caught the barman’s eye straight away.

The great disadvantage is that heels slow you down; tiny steps are easier than strides. I took to searching out zebra crossings because I couldn’t be sure of getting across the road without being run over. Stairs became obstacle courses.

Just catching a bus is a whole new experience. For a start, you cannot run for it, while going to the upper deck is ambitious, but achievable. I took to gripping desperately at the rails as I went up and down – not very elegant. But then neither is walking along, head down, eyes glued to the pavement, searching out the next cracked flagstone or pot-hole.

Walking down a street in broad daylight, I felt vulnerable and was acutely aware of people’s eyes fixing on a point around my ankles. When I caught my reflection in shop windows, I realised I was bobbing up and down like a duck. There is an art to walking in high heels. It might be easier to walk along a tightrope.

Just as some people don’t look like smokers, some women don’t look like high-heel wearers. "No sensible woman would ever wear them!" was one comment (but who wants to be condemned to being a "sensible woman" all their lives?).

Wearing heels is all about confidence. When I went to a textile designer and found myself apologising for my shoes, I knew I was not yet a stiletto kind of girl.

The stiletto has strange allies. William Tomlin, a member of the British Chiropractic Association, is not alarmed by the trend. "The latest reports state that heels are actually good for your back because they change the centre of gravity," he said.

A heel makes the wearer lean back and increases the natural curve of the lower back.

So, as well as being the height of fashion, could heels actually be good for you? It looks as though I will just have to persevere. No pain, no gain.

--------
PART 3
--------

I Found these interesting picture about 6" Inch High heels, this is also related to safety and understanding.

Hope you understand all of these.
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

Great post. Is it all written by you or have you copied it from somewhere else?

I fixed the images in your post. BBcode must be activated for the images to work.
Grinser

Post by Grinser »

What I kind of missed was the (for my understanding) main problem of wearing high heels, namely the degeneration/shortening of the Achille's tendons. That is probably the effect that will show first, as it can happen quite fast. So before and after a long walk in high heels one should do some stretching, I recommend something like that I am a link.
Another possible danger , especially with cheap and/or badly constructed shoes, is the force that pushes the toes down into the shoes at that angle. If the toe part is badly designed, your toes could get pushed together or up, causing serious toe deformations.
And thirdly, high heels increase the pressure onto the heels (kind of obvious this one...) increasing the risk of damage to the soft tissue underneath, probably even to the nerves.

These are all effects that can show much faster than the arthritis, so I thought they might be interesting to know.
There is a beast inside man that should be exercised, not exorcised.
myvinsen

The Contents

Post by myvinsen »

I found this article on a website, most of them are copied, but I read them all, and is very good. My hands will burn if i write them :(. Well thanks Anna, I actually doesn't know anything about BBCode, now i know it
misQui
Retired Moderator

Post by misQui »

Thanks for that. A very informative article.
Quantes

Post by Quantes »

Very good article.