questions about latex

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
curious_guy

questions about latex

Post by curious_guy »

I have a few questions about latex.
1. is latex water safe? if I place my sub in a latex catsuit and make her take a bath will the latex be damaged?
2. how far will latex stretch. if a sub is in a latex skirt and I wish to bend her over the table will the latex stretch enough to allow me to mount her?
3. what are the different types and thicknesses of latex? I keep seeing referrence to different materials and thinkness.

if anyone knows of a link to a site where I can have my questions answered I would be most appreciative.
misQui
Retired Moderator

Post by misQui »

Firstly, yes, latex is water-safe. It is completely water-proof and will not be damaged by water.
Secondly, how far latex stretches depends on how it is made, and ties in with your third question. The thicker it is, the harder it will be to stretch but it could be less likely to split. An ex-girlfriend of mine had a relatively cheap latex dress and she ended up putting her thumb through it when putting it on.
As for types and thicknesses; you quite often get a choice of either normal latex or molded latex. Normal latex is when something is made from flat sheets of latex whereas molded does exactly what it says in the name; it is molded to a specific shape. Thickness-wise, it is normally given a guage measurement, but it is normally about 2mm thick, as far as I know.
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

1: Latex is not damaged by water but it can absorb it. You will notice this if you wear latex and sweet a lot. Light coloured latex can actually change its colour when it have absorbed water. The absorbed water dries away and usually leaves no trace or damage.

Another thing to note is that some of the glued latex wear is glued with water based glue and exposing it to water for longer times can eventually dissolve the glue. Ask your supplier what type of glue that is used in the products before buying.

2: As before, the stretch of the latex depends on many factors. Thickness is most important but even the actual colour of the latex can be important. Some people report that some colours stretch less than other does even if they are the same thickness. Glued latex usually stretches better than moulded latex and the glue seems are actually the strongest part of the garment and least likely to split. (If it was gone right.)

3: Se below.

An awesome resource for everything latex / rubber related is The International Association of Rubberists. All the latex questions you could ever have will be answered there and you will learn a lot of very nice things that you did not even think about. You might have to join the forum to be able to read it but it is well worth it and everyone is very friendly and helpful.
misQui
Retired Moderator

Post by misQui »

Anna wrote:some of the glued latex wear is glued with water based glue
You'd have thought they'd have the sense to use latex adhesive.
puppydogbytes

Post by puppydogbytes »

Molded latex tears easily and is generally pretty cheap and nasty, glued clothes are hand made (expensive) but much better quality - depending on the glue most should be OK in water but make sure you dry and talc them afterwards or they'll rot.

Most fashion latex is 0.2 - 0.3mm thick (I think you missed a decimal point misQui) some really heavy latex can be up to 1.2mm thick.

Avoid very sharp/long nails when you put it on, if you treat it carefully it'll last a long time
'In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics' - Homer Simpson
curious_guy

Post by curious_guy »

thanks for all your repsonses.
I am thinking about placing my GF in a latex miniskirt and corset for the weekend. I want to be sure I have access to her. I also want her to take bubble bathes to ensure she in pleasing to me.
my only remaining problem is figuring out how to bind her into the miniskirt. I have looked at restraining belts but they are worn too high to secure the skirt plus they are all made of leather.
from the knowledge you have provided me I think we can do most of this with a little planning and preucation.