Buying Rope

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
speedy-j

Buying Rope

Post by speedy-j »

Lately I've been using what I guess is some nylon rope that is in my parents shed, but now I want to buy my own rope. So I have a few questions on how to go about this.
1. What is a good length to buy? 30 or 200 feet?
2. Is it wise to cut into a necessary size and burn the tips to prevent it from unraveling?
3. My basic use for the rope is bonding ankles, knees, wrest, and hogtie.
4. What is a good diameter or thickness of the rope?

I guess I don't have any other questions or much to see. But please put tips on buying and using rope. :whip:
bound_jenny

Re: Buying Rope

Post by bound_jenny »

1. In my experience, 100 feet. It's relatively easy to manage and pick up afterwards. Remember that you can get longer lengths cheaper than shorter ones.
2. Yes.
3. Confirming the above. You'll only need short lengths to make coils for the areas you want to tie.
4. In light of your use, I'd say 3/8" (or 10 mm for the metric perverts). I use 1/4" for making chest or body harnesses, or general tying.

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Dark_Lizerd

Post by Dark_Lizerd »

Cotton... it's softer than most of the others...
All advice is checked, re-checked and verified to be questionable...
Don't ask, we both wont understand the answer...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/09dtr ... e_V2_2.exe Not just for nubies any more...
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

speedy-j wrote: 2. Is it wise to cut into a necessary size...
Yes, absolutely.

... and burn the tips to prevent it from unraveling?
And no. If you use any kind of plastic ropes you'll pretty sure get hard edges at the rope ends.
You will find a nice description of what I do with my rope ends here:

http://s701.photobucket.com/user/Warloq ... 1.jpg.html

Make sure to leave approx. 1 inch / 2.5 cm between the whipping and the actual rope end. That way the rope will fray from the end to the whipping (but no further) giving a very smooth touch, even when pulled over the more sensitive parts of the human skin. :shock:

Ah, and I do three stitches through the rope, away from the end, before wrapping.

I hope this helps?

Regards,

Blacky
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. (W. Blake)
lj

Post by lj »

I'd go along with the comments on rope diameter, most of mine is 8mm nominal, polyester (much softer than nylon, available from B&Q the UK perverts equipment supplier :rofl: - they do a good line in welded chain as well :D )

Actually I do heat seal the ends with a candle or gas flame, just limit the melt to the actual end of the rope, not found a problem with a damaging rope end.

A good alternative is heat-shrink tubing, particularly the type containing a heat-sensitive adhesive which will lock the shrunk tube permanently - just be careful when using a hot-air gun to shrink the tube as you can also melt the rope! You can get this from electronics suppliers who often sell retail as well as trade.

As to length, I have several 20ft (6m) and a few about 40ft, plus some very short lengths, 6ft or so. Unless you are going to buy a full reel, just buy what you need, there won't be much of a cost saving
be a switch, double the fun :-)
Zimon

Post by Zimon »

I would recommend to get Hemp og Jute from a bondage supplier, like Twistedmonk. That is where I got my hemp rope, all precut to length and each ends are bound with thin rope to preven unraveling. If you need it cheaper then go to a sailing/boat shop and get braided cotton rope, se picture below. The braided does not untwine are laid rope does. Also the cotton on the outside is not too slippery and the rope is felxible as well. Test it by laying it in a U shape and give a small press, the "eye" should be small, of the rope is to rigid it will make a large "eye".

Climbing rope I do not recommend, it is to rigid and it flees to much, also it is to slipery on the outside. This is because a climbing rope should work that way! If the climber falls the rope need to flex to dampen the fall, it should have a certain friction to both slip and hold at the preice moment the climber wants etc. And thus normal knot like the Square knot will be to loose because of the slippere outer skinn and the stifness.

So a a rope with kevlar(or other fiber) core and then braided with a middle section and then a braided cotton outside is my second recommendation. :)

The best way to tie is also to use a "double rope", find the middle of the rope and fold the two ends. Work from the middle by using both ends. By doing this you will have shorter rope to work with, you will less likely cause a rope burn, you get more rope layers to get a good nice cuffs and it is easy to tie of the ends with a square knot.

So:
1. Get either a rope kit for twistedmonk or if you by retail just get a long and cut it yourself. Use electicaltape two times with 0,5cm apart and cut in between the tape, then use a lighter or candle to melt the ends. Works only on rope with synthetics, so hemp/jute you cant melt the ends as it is all natural. But cotton with fiber core, the core melts and fasten the cotton as well. :) So lengt just get as long as you need and cut it to desired lengths when you get home.

2. Yes! ;)

3. Get several lengths, also for hips/waits and chest. Perhaps a Karada (full body harness) length.

4. Diameter. I would recommend 4-10mm, depending on your style and what you are gonna tie and how many wraps in the coil you are using. Personally I use 6 or 8mm Hemp from twisted monk, and 6 and 8mm on the cotton style wich I had before going for hemp. The Hemp is laid rope though, but it works just fine. :)

If youre having more questions just ask in forum or PM! :D

Best regards
The Bondageking..... A title a band gave me after helping them with bondage and Shibari suspension for a music video! :D
Yeah, I'm a real bondage/shibari/Kinbaku junkie. LOL