Using a Dorgard in a scene

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
maglock

Using a Dorgard in a scene

Post by maglock »

Hi, just wondering if anyone has used a Dorgard before as part of a backup release in case of fire. Basically a Dorgard is a device designed to hold open a fire door but to automatically release the fire door if it 'hears' a fire alarm. I recently had an idea about using a Dorgard unit screwed to a piece of wood to hold down a push switch wired between the power source and the maglock securing the bondage. I'd need to place the dorgard and switch setup in a diffrent room so I could not 'fake' an alarm noise by yelling etc but somewhere where it could still hear the smoke alarm if it was to activate. It would also be good if the dorgard would also release me if the intruder alarm sounded. Has anyone ever tried anything like this before?
lj

Re: Using a Dorgard in a scene

Post by lj »

just checked UK prices, they are around £100 which is quite a lot of cash ?

As you can get mag-locks on EBay for a lot less, if you can do some simple electrical wiring they would offer a cheaper option. I like the idea of building safety into it, intruder alarm etc - again you could do this with standard intruder alarm PIR detectors and smoke alarms. If everything is battery powered, and fails to safe (opens or releases when power decays) then you have a back-up safety as well.
be a switch, double the fun :-)
maglock

Re: Using a Dorgard in a scene

Post by maglock »

Perhaps I did not explain myself clearly, I already have a few maglocks and now don't use anything else for my release as they are pritty much 100% reliable, They have no moving parts to jam and need power to stay locked and when powered from a source with a finite amount of power (i.e. a battery), they will release when that source of power runs out meaning it's pretty much impossible to get stuck. Basically what I want to do with the dorgard is place a switch between the power source and the maglock and then use the dorgard unit to hold this switch closed. While it maybe possible to hard wire something into my smoke alarms I'd rather not taper with them for safety reasons in case I break them (they are an interlinked system so if one alarm detects smoke they will all sound). I also like to be able to hide all my stuff away when not using it thus having to hard wire stuff every time I'd rather not, the dorgard is a neat self-contained unit which I can just chuck in my box of BDSM toys when not using it. The sole purpose of the dorgard in this situation is to provide a release in case of fire or intruder.