Tidier ice release

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
gemt

Tidier ice release

Post by gemt »

The problem I have with previous ice releases is they tend to leave a puddle. The liquid is open, and spillage can occur.
My release device is simplicity itself. It uses a good quality seal-able sandwich box.
Pile ice at one end of the box, lightly fill the other with something non-absorbent just to stop the pile of ice from falling down (polystyrene packaging is good), or just a sheet of kitchen paper across the bottom to provide some friction to the ice pile.
Seal the lid and balance the box on an unreachable shelf and put the bunch of keys on top.
It is best to trial-run this and draw a mark on the underside where the tipping point is. It should be pretty central, so work with any amount of ice. Cross-check that just the weight of the keys on an empty box is enough to tip it, and with the box half-full of water.As the ice melts, the water evens out, and the weight eventually causes the box to tip off the shelf, and the keys go skating to the floor.
As it is a good quality box it won't break open and spill everywhere.
You may also want to attach the keys by a shoe lace to the box and/or shelf so that they are easier to find when blindfolded?
ruru67

Re: Tidier ice release

Post by ruru67 »

Clever. The box lid would need to be mechanically, not friction sealed to keep the water in.

The trick I've used in the past is to tie a loop of cotton around my escape key, then wrap the loop a couple of times around an ice block. Place the ice in a small bowl with a smooth lip, with the key dangling over the side. (For extra safety, ensure the knot is in the dangling part of the cotton.) Place the bowl on a high shelf, with the key hanging where it can fall. The idea is that once the ice has melted, there is absolutely nothing that can snag the cotton or the key.

You'd think the ice would move around and let the cotton go early, but in reality, if you wrap the cotton around the middle of the block, the loop tightens around the block and stays put until the ice has pretty much completely melted. If you want it to take longer, surround the block with more ice.

Some precautions: first: establish what will happen to the key when it hits the floor. If there's a risk of it bouncing into or under something, either block likely key loss routes, or place a bucket underneath it. Put something soft in the bottom of the bucket to prevent it bouncing out.

Second, when you set up the rig, make sure the key is dangling in space. I once had this fail because I wasn't paying attention when I set it up, the key was a little wet, and it had swung around when I placed the bowl, and adhered to glass below the shelf. The ice melted but the key stayed stuck to the glass. I had to invoke Plan B.

Third, have a Plan B.
Dark_Lizerd

Post by Dark_Lizerd »

I agree, clever ideas...
But, here is one better for ya...
Fix the box so that it does not fall and possibly break and make a mess...
A plastic box would work also...
Secure the box to a 4x4 block with a hinge about the center point, as above...
Then when the ice melts enough to tip the box, it tips and dumpes the keys...

Just thought of another varation... "see-saw"...
Use a short stick, (ruler)....
Have it pivot about it's center of gravity...
Hang a small sack / bag / sock of one end with ice in it, over the water catch bucket,
and the keys on the tip of the other end...
Again, when enough ice melts out of the bag, the ruler will tip and drop the keys...
All advice is checked, re-checked and verified to be questionable...
Don't ask, we both wont understand the answer...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/09dtr ... e_V2_2.exe Not just for nubies any more...
gemt

Post by gemt »

Putting a bucket under the dripping thing is fine, until you kick it over while paddling around blindfolded looking for the key.
Yes a mechanically sealed plastic box is best, though I have some good quality boxes that have good lip seals.
Dark_Lizerd

Post by Dark_Lizerd »

... the water catch bucket is on the shelf under the ice bag...
not on the floor...
(just a note...)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/09dtr ... e_V2_2.exe Not just for nubies any more...
gemt

Post by gemt »

Dark_Lizerd wrote:... the water catch bucket is on the shelf under the ice bag...
not on the floor...
(just a note...)
Fair enough, but then where are the keys, such that they don't land in the bucket, or the high shelf you just put in the way?
Just stuff to be aware of...
Dark_Lizerd

Post by Dark_Lizerd »

Tisk, tisk, tisk....
Do I need to draw it out for ya???
Well, OK then...
tip bucket.jpg
Or the ice could be in a bag, with holes to let the water drain out, in the bucket.
when the keys weigh more than the ice, it will drop them...
Just make sure the board is secured so it doesn't fall as well...
Or use a hinge...
gemt

Post by gemt »

Fur inuf
Jadit

Post by Jadit »

That looks like it will work well...

... as a Ice Catapult! :rofl:

(It will bend before ice has completely melted.)
You might be able to prevent that by making a light cup where the ice is on. Then drill small holes at each edge of cup bottom and all the water falls down to the container.
gemt

Post by gemt »

I can certainly see that it will tip before the last of the ice has melted, and that last piece of ice is going on the floor, but it will catch most of the drips, I guess. Getting the balance right is going to take a bit of faff.
I think I would want to do this setup in advance, properly, and put a proper hinge in so the setup is guaranteed in future sessions.
Still think mine has fewer moving parts and is easier to set up in a hurry, but then I would :-)
With a bit of care, it can also probably act as its own dirty escape key, if you used dyed water, knocking the whole thing flying will release the key, but scatter the water everywhere.