playing with handcuffs

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
agoodtime

playing with handcuffs

Post by agoodtime »

This is my first post on this site, so I hope it’s in the correct section.

I was wondering if anyone else has accidentally experienced the same issue that I will describe.
I was very naive at the time and have learned a lot about selfbondage since.
Anyway I finally built up the courage to buy my own pair of handcuffs, I purchased these new cuffs, they were Smith and Wesson hinged handcuffs, the type that didn’t have the chain linking the two cuffs together. I thought these look different to the normal cuffs and will be very secure; I’ll have a lot of fun handcuffing myself and maybe my b/f with these I thought.
So after buying them and taking back to my flat I had to try them out on myself and my room mate won’t be home for 1 ½ hours, what could go wrong?
I first of all I played around cuffing my hands in front of me, the feeling was indescribable.
Then I took the handcuffs and put them on behind my back, this is where it all went wrong. After walking around the house for a while it was time to take the handcuffs off. I took the key, walked over to the mirror turned around and attempted to unlock my handcuffs. Looking at the cuffs in the mirror, I tried to put the key in the key hole but it appeared to me that the key holes were facing upwards, away from my hands and I went into a panic as I realised that I was not going to be able to reach the key holes as these handcuffs were hinged for this very reason. I tried and tried but it was not possible. What made it worse was I hadn’t double locked the cuffs either and my combination of twisting my wrists around and rolling on the floor trying to slip them over my backside had resulted in click, click, click, click (I still had a skirt on too) both cuffs were extremely tight and the palms of my hands were now facing outwards. I had no option but to sit on the couch and wait for my room mate to come home, she did and laughed and took photos of me before releasing me.
lj

Re: playing with handcuffs

Post by lj »

Sounds as though you now have a safety partner :) as you have successfully "outed" yourself to her. You don't mention if you are male or female, just that you were wearing a skirt - hope it wasn't hers!

You could have put this post in "True Stories" as well, but here is fine, as it is a useful warning - double locking and ensuring you can reach the keyhole.
be a switch, double the fun :-)
davisev5225

Post by davisev5225 »

Women don't need to specify that they were wearing a skirt - it's a normal enough occurrence that it just doesn't merit special attention. I guarantee agoodtime is a male.
RADER

Post by RADER »

On hinged handcuffs; even when double locked, if the key hole is facing
away from your fingures, it would be almost impossible to get out of with
your hands behind your back. :D
Rader
SteelMan

Post by SteelMan »

I believe the point others are trying to make is that if the cuffs were double-locked, they would not have tightened further. Thus, getting stuck would mean only getting stuck, and not having to worry about the cuffs tightening further than intended. Safer? Yes. Not easier to escape from.

Since your roommate now knows, you have a backup plan in case you ever run into a similar situation. Or if you're exceptionally lucky, even a play partner. :wink:
Life is like a set of shackles. They may be cold, restricting, and unforgiving at times, but you can still have loads of fun.
Maid_Lauren

Post by Maid_Lauren »

Lucky you to now have a key holder. Just think of the senarios you both can play. You are ordered to get dressed and cuff yourself and wait for her to come and release you when ever that will be. An ice lock is your safety escape if you need it.

The key holes on Peerless handcuffs are just big enough to put the key in when positioned right which makes them hard to open if my hands are cuffed behind my back or to a chain around my waist. I cut the cuff chain and added a link to give a little more room. The link can be opened with a wrench or pliers so I have a safety back up.

On the forum I read that the ASP handcuffs have the key hole on both sides. I always wanted the hinged cuffs but I was afraid that I woul cuff myself with the key hole the wrong way. I just ordered a pair of chain and hinged ASP cuff from Handcuff Warehouse and I shall report on them soon.

Bondage is fun when you don't have any way of release and you are totally helpless. Partners ae the way to go but finding someone who is not turned off by bondage or cross dressing is difficult.

Lauren
ponylady

Post by ponylady »

Maid_Lauren wrote:An ice lock is your safety escape if you need it.
an ice-lock is a backup-release, not a safety-release.

a safety-release is one that is avaiable @ all times, though it may invoke a "punishment/penalty" for using it.

ice can be your backup in case your primary release fails.
[
Maid_Lauren

Post by Maid_Lauren »

I ordered the handcuffs yesterday and they came today. The ASP cuffs are lightweight and the chain/hinge is long enough to easily unlock them. Each cuff is dual keyed but you have to remember where the key hole is on each side of the cuff if you use different brands of cuffs. They are more comfortable to wear than the Peerless. The hinged cuffs are more constricting.

I bought a pair of repro Darby handcuffs and they are well made and comfortable. The Handcuff Warehouse has a number of retro copies of vintage cuffs but some need a key holder to put them on an off. They lock your wrists together so you can't unlock them yourself.

Lauren
agoodtime

Post by agoodtime »

The arrangement with my roommate is that she will release me if I absolutely need it, but will not take part or discuss any part of my self bondage or fetishes, which is cool by me. Cross dressing isn’t the strangest thing I’ve been caught in while in bondage also.

I was very new to bondage back when this happened, since I have learnt what double locking is and that hinged cuffs aren’t just toys to be played with but are but serious restraints.
I just get excited by the fact that I can cuff myself, have the key in my hand, that is my only way of release and it is totally useless because the keyholes are on the wrong side and I will have to wait to be released. Only issue I have is I can’t figure out how to double lock the cuffs if I cuff my hands, with palms facing outwards, as I can’t insert the back of the key in the double lock slot as I can’t turn my wrists. Has anyone managed to escape palms facing outwards and keyholes up ?
RADER

Post by RADER »

To double lock cuffs, I have a small vice that modle makers use.
It is about 6" long and 2 1/2" wide. I put a piece of stiff wire in it pointing
up on an angle. Now when you are cuffed, you manuver your self to
the "pin" and stick it in the hole. Your fingers do not have to do a thing.
Rader
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I have the same exact handcuffs that you do, agoodtime. I've been practicing self-bondage for ~14 years now, and even I have a hard time getting out of them, even when I lock them the right way and use a mirror to see what I'm doing. You were lucky to have somebody release you - if you lived alone, or tied yourself more strictly, you could have died... (That does happen, believe me.)

Search the web (or read some e-books ;) ) for tips on self-bondage safety. It's much better to learn from other people's mistakes rather than make them yourself.
Author of "Introduction to Self-Bondage" and "Nine Tales of Submission" - now available on Kindle! :)