Safety checklist

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
willing

Safety checklist

Post by willing »

Last night I had a less pleasant experience. This was because of something I did know of it could happen. That's why I start this topic, with all things you should be aware of considering safety when getting into self bondage in one list. It would be nice if Anna could place the tips posted by me and others in this topic as checklist on her website.

So items on that list should be:

Release methods:
Make sure your release method is tested and works. Make sure the key that has to fall will fall and will certainly be in your reach. Have a phone within reach in case you need to call someone to set you free. Have a back-up release that can be used any moment during your bondage in case of a panic or emergency situation, like a key to a rope in a can of ink. Make sure someone will drop by within a day to set you free in case you get stuck.

Power failure:
If you have some electronic release, make sure it releases you in case of a power failure.

Bad blood circulation:
Your hands may become useless because of bad blood circulation. Therefore you may be unable to release yourself. Make sure your hands stay well circulated and have a (back-up) release method that does not require your fingers. The ropes you tie may get tighter or your wrist or legs may expend causing bad blood circulation. Do not use tie-wraps for self bondage since they may accidentally get tighter than you want and do not get loose of itself.

Breathing and gags:
As already mentioned on Anna's site. Gags are unsafe since they cover your mouth and prevent you from breathing freely. Only ring-gags are considered safe. Do not cover your mouth since it may happen that you need more are when you panic or when your nose can get closed because of a colt. From Anna's site: "Another big danger is the risk of developing sickness and having the need to throw up while being gagged. Sickness can come suddenly without any prior warning." Throwing up wile gagged (not ring-gagged) will lead to death trough suffocation. Do not start a self-bondage session when feeling sickness. Forced feeding is dangerous. You must always be able to spit out the contents. (An expensive carpet may prevent you from doing this unless you're in an emergency). Do not tie rope around your neck since it may cause suffocation when that rope gets to tight.

Water intoxication:
When having bondage with forced drinking make sure you do not get to drink to much water. From wikipedia: "Initial symptoms typically include light-headedness, sometimes accompanied by nausea, vomiting, headache and/or malaise. Plasma sodium levels below 100 mmol/L (2.3g/L) frequently result in cerebral edema, seizures, coma, and death within a few hours of drinking the excess water." The amount of water causing these symptoms is different from person to person and also depends on your diet. A person with two healthy kidneys can excrete about 900ml (0.24 gal)/hr. Enemas may also cause water intoxication, so be carefull with that amount too.

Dehydration:
On the other side of intoxication, dehydration may occure. Therefore always have some water you are able to drink. Especially when you are planning a session for more than an hour. But also for short sessions since they may take longer as you expect.

Sharp items:
Be carefull using a knife or something as release method since you may cut yourself.

Paraphimosis: (Although nog directly connected with self bondage I think it's important to know such a thing may happen, after all it happend to me during self bondage)
Pharaphimosis may happen if you pull the foreskin back during sex or cleaning, rought masturbation, but also if you fall asleep with your foreskin retracted. From wikipedia: "Paraphimosis is a medical condition where the foreskin becomes trapped behind the glans penis, and cannot be pulled back to its normal flaccid position covering the glans penis. If the condition persists for several hours or there is any sign of a lack of blood flow, paraphimosis should be treated as a medical emergency, as it can result in gangrene or other serious complications." Paraphimosis requires immediate attention. Prompt attention and treatment is absolutely necessary. And this is not possible when being in a bondage. Penile gangrene and auto amputation (the penis falling off) may follow in days or weeks if not treated.
(This was the experience I had last night, caused by rubbing my penis against the bed linen. I was lucky to find myself a way out of my bondage to treat it)

Fire:
It is pretty unlikely your house is on fire during bondage session, but be sure you do not leave candles burning in your house or leave the cooker on. Ice-release is the best release method in case of fire since the ice will melt faster.

Clamps
A few dangers of playing with clothespins and clamps.
First, used on the scrotum and labia, or any where else for that matter, but especially there, make sure you are not getting any of the delicate structures in these areas actually IN the clamp. This can cause a lot more than you are bargaining for. Both in pain and nerve or tissue damage.
Secondly, don't leave these on too long. The whole point is that they cut off the circulation. Thus, they hurt more coming off than while they are on. However, if you cut off the circulation for too long, you get tissue damage. This is NOT good. No longer than twenty minutes maximum is recommanded, and less than that if you are using strong clips.
Thirdly, some tissue was not designed for exceptionally rough treatment like zippers and heavy weights. Please be careful around the genital area on both sexes. It is easily possible to tear the labia and genital tissue in these areas.
(Source)

Please post more tips on safety in this topic if you think this list is not complete.
I tried to find something about the dangers of inserting tools (butplug, dildo or home-made things) but so far I did not find anything relevant. If you know more about that subject, please post it because I think it has it dangers too.

Edit: I added the subject of clamps, also I found this site: http://www.gaylib.com/aids/heal1.htm about S&M and healt.
Last edited by willing on 15 Apr 2007, 23:32, edited 2 times in total.
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Re: Safety checklist

Post by curious_sb »

willing wrote:Paraphimosis: (Although nog directly connected with self bondage I think it's important to know such a thing may happen, after all it happend to me during self bondage)
Pharaphimosis may happen if you pull the foreskin back during sex or cleaning, rought masturbation, but also if you fall asleep with your foreskin retracted. From wikipedia: "Paraphimosis is a medical condition where the foreskin becomes trapped behind the glans penis, and cannot be pulled back to its normal flaccid position covering the glans penis. If the condition persists for several hours or there is any sign of a lack of blood flow, paraphimosis should be treated as a medical emergency, as it can result in gangrene or other serious complications." Paraphimosis requires immediate attention. Prompt attention and treatment is absolutely necessary. And this is not possible when being in a bondage. Penile gangrene and auto amputation (the penis falling off) may follow in days or weeks if not treated.
Jesus man, I didnt even know about that....it sounds nasty. :shock:
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
jake

Post by jake »

willing wrote: Water intoxication:
When having bondage with forced drinking make sure you do not get to drink to much water. From wikipedia: "Initial symptoms typically include light-headedness, sometimes accompanied by nausea, vomiting, headache and/or malaise. Plasma sodium levels below 100 mmol/L (2.3g/L) frequently result in cerebral edema, seizures, coma, and death within a few hours of drinking the excess water." The amount of water causing these symptoms is different from person to person and also depends on your diet. A person with two healthy kidneys can excrete about 900ml (0.24 gal)/hr.
I'd like to know exactly how much is too much...
misQui
Retired Moderator

Post by misQui »

xatm092 wrote:I'd like to know exactly how much is too much...
About 3 litres should be enough to finish you off. :shock:
curious_sb wrote:Jesus man, I didnt even know about that....it sounds nasty.
I knew there was a good reason I had no foreskin. :mrgreen:
Cindy123

Post by Cindy123 »

Thanks for the heads-up, We welcome this type of help.
Sin 8)
If your not playing on the edge, your taking up to much space...............................
Play safe and have fun...Now Where did I put that damn Key!!!!! ;-)
CINDY123@BAK.RR.COM
willing

Post by willing »

curious_sb wrote:
willing wrote:...
Jesus man, I didnt even know about that....it sounds nasty. :shock:
I did not hear about it eather, before it happend to me. That's why I made this list, to make sure you know now.
xatm092 wrote:
willing wrote:...
I'd like to know exactly how much is too much...
That's impossible to say. It differs from person to person, from day to day. It has to do with your weight, the status of your kidney, your diet and I'm sure there is more. Just make sure you keep a safe limit. And I do not want to be responsible for you getting yourself killed because you drink the amount I'm telling you is the limit.
jake

Post by jake »

misQui wrote:
xatm092 wrote:I'd like to know exactly how much is too much...
Ha, I hope that's a joke. I had two litres today, not including the 1 litre I took to badminton, and the 3 glasses of apple juice at home...
misQui
Retired Moderator

Post by misQui »

A person with two healthy kidneys can excrete about 900ml (0.24 gal)/hr. Consuming as little as 1.8 litres of water (0.48 gal) in a single sitting may prove fatal for a person adhering to a low-sodium diet, or 3 litres (0.79 gallons) for a person on a normal diet. However, this must be modulated by potential water losses via other routes. For example, a person who is perspiring heavily may lose 1 L/hr (0.26 gal) of water through perspiration alone, thereby raising the threshold for water intoxication. The problem is further complicated by the amount of electrolytes lost in urine or sweat, which is variable within a range controlled by the body's regulatory mechanisms.
I shit you not.
jake

Post by jake »

...oh crap.

I'm gonna be really scared that I'm gonna kill myself now :cry:
Venom

Post by Venom »

Ok, so water is bad for you now?

bring smoking back, its safer than water!
willing

Post by willing »

Venom wrote:Ok, so water is bad for you now?

Water is not bad, just don't try putting yourself to the limit.
jake

Post by jake »

willing wrote:
Venom wrote:Ok, so water is bad for you now?

Water is not bad, just don't try putting yourself to the limit.

PLEASE tell me you do realise Venom was joking... :x
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

Oh you guys....

when I feel sad or slighly down I only have to come back here and read a few posts to start laughing again.

PS Yes water can kill you, but I doubt 3 litres, spread over a day, would do you any harm. However 3 litres in the space of a hour....thats a whole different ballgame. I think it is quite a high number of litres to kill you, but HOW it kills you is more important, the reason water will kill you if you drink too much of it, is that your body only needs so much, it gets rid of the rest.

It all has to be filtered by the kidneys, and excreted as urine, although some water will leave as sweat, the majority will go through the bladder and this process takes time.

Now if you drink too much too quickly, your body gets to a point where it cant get rid of it faster than you put it in, and it has far more water than it needs - so tissues start to swell, cells bloat up as they fill with water that has nowhere to go and the whole system jams up with water like people in the London underground in rush hour.

if you still keep drinking at this point you will start DRY DROWNING, where you arent actually in the water in the conventional sense of drowning, but your lungs fill up with water from the inside.....

That is of course if you havent already succumbed as someone else said it not just kidneys and lungs that can fail but also brain haemorrage can be brought on by excess water in the system

That said I regularly neck at least a litre of water after each martial arts class, but I do sweat like a 9 dollar whore and I think the amount of water i must lose through sweat offsets most of the water intake.

So anyone that recently organised a "who can drink the most water" competition, might want to cancel....
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator