Panic after the last *click*

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
BoundUpAndSilent

Panic after the last *click*

Post by BoundUpAndSilent »

Though i'm sure everyone has a bit of panic each time they close the last lock on their strict self-bondage restraints, The first time
I locked myself up(which was not long ago by the way, I always had done "sensual" self-bondage before then; I imagine a had to work my way
mentally to the idea of true helplessness :) ) I nearly fell into blind panic 30 seconds into it. I had a simple ice release designed to last about 15 min
for a "test run" so to speak, and a phone within reach to call for help if the ice release somehow failed. Oh and I was only locked in handcuffs in front,
which were secured to my shower door frame(immovable)(as I said, "test run" :) )
Though the apprehensive rush of helplessness is one of the main points of self-bondage I think, I don't want to cause any safety concerns by having a
panic attack and losing consciousness, or something similar.

Has anyone had a similar reaction or had to struggle with the urge to panic while trying to enjoy the experience?

Many thanks for reading and commenting :)

P.S I'm a fan of frequent smileys. A word of warning :)
CaptainJoe

Re: Panic after the last *click*

Post by CaptainJoe »

Hi,

welcome on board.

You could minimize your panic by following the simple safety-instruction as to always have an emergency release that works immediately, i.e. the famous oil-can with your keys. When your house is on fire, a friend that comes along in an hour or an ice-release set for 15 min is no great help...

Furthermore I please want to make a distinction between the rush of adrenaline that kicks in when the 'last lock' klicks shut, and panic that stes in with or without cause. In more than 30 years of selfbondage I had only two cases of panic (more one and a half - that second one was just a verrry uneasy feeling of 'what if...') and I never tried these scenarios again. With using the head and not the genitals for the design of a selfbondage-scenario everything should be fine.

think, rethink, sleep over it and think again.
Joe.
Life is what happens, while you are making other plans.
We won't stop nagging - because we care!
BoundUpAndSilent

I've heard of the can-of-oil trick before I think. It is quite a novel idea. thank you :) Though I've double and triple-checked
things like stoves and heaters that can cause fires, and made sure doors are locked and that sort of thing, dangerous things
can and do still happen, and I should be thoroughly aware of that.

I really appreciate your post. :)

It of course doesn't matter with this post, but because I can't seem to find a gender button on my profile, I'll say to whomever
reads my posts that I'm female.
cooper1337

Post by cooper1337 »

CaptainJoe wrote: With using the head and not the genitals for the design of a selfbondage-scenario everything should be fine.
I think this is the most important thing you should keep in mind.
I always know where to find anything needed to get me out of bondage (more or less) immediately.

The only time I really panicked was when I was very excited because I got my new cuffs. I wanted to try them and "just" cuffed my foot to something immobile. And then I realized the keys were out of reach... *doh*
Situations like that can get really ugly, and all just because I was too stupid to think the whole thing through since I didn't really thought of it as a real bondage-scenario.

If you always know that you have an immediate backup release, the panic will be much less than otherwise.
So:
  • Don't plan scenarios when you are horny
  • Don't do scenarios you didn't plan
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

CaptainJoe wrote:using the head and not the genitals for the design of a selfbondage-scenario
cooper1337 wrote:If you always know that you have an immediate backup release, the panic will be much less than otherwise.
So:

* Don't plan scenarios when you are horny
* Don't do scenarios you didn't plan
That's about the best advice that could be dispensed. When hormones enter the equation, it immediately and drastically raises the likelihood of a problem occurring. Spur-of-the-moment scenarios, unless they are tried and tested beforehand, are not good ideas. Plan, plan, plan, and plan some more. Make a practice run before the real deal. Make a checklist if you're not sure about everything (i.e. shutting off hot things, locking doors, emergency and/or backup releases, etc.), and tick off each item as you execute them. Keep the list visible so you remember that you took care of everything before you commit/committed yourself to helplessness. Visual reminders are very reassuring.

Leave the hormones until you're tied up. They're much more useful then. :wink:

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
BoundUpAndSilent

Thanks so much for all the replies :)
I just wanted to come on and get some advice from more experienced people after I felt a bit too much
anxiety during my short session recently, and I couldn't have been more welcomed or assisted :)
I'll make sure to remember all the advice here and take all the precautions necessary.

Again thanks so much. :)

:gag: (I thought I should stifle my over-used smiley, whom I very much envy at this very moment. hehe)
Jadit

Post by Jadit »

I have to admit being a bit of a "panicker" myself :oops: I tried this kind of scenario few days ago:

It's night and dark, and you are laying in bed. Mouth gag on and feets tied together. Table light set with 24 hour timer to tick on about every hour for 15 minutes, so it's turned off 75% of time.
Now there's a chain going from feet that, when pulled towards hands, bends them. The chain is locked to handcuffs (very secure and reliable ones) using a simple 3 number combination lock that's set on "1,2,3". Measured so that when hands are locked in front, they are comfortably tight and sort of "frontal hogtie" if there's thing like that. You can't move around with it.
The backup is that when daylight starts coming from window you'll see the combination. Alternatively you can try all the 999 combinations, but with thin gloves in hands it might be accidentally rolling unwanted numbers, or not clicking in the number spots.

So.. it's fairly simple scenario, yet makes my heart beat so fast i haven't done it for the full 45 mins darkness yet :P Imagine yourself locking it up while the light is on, and you look at the scrambled numbers "4,1,9"... then suddenly light turns off. (No, you propably didn't have time or want to look at the numbers actually)
gemt

Post by gemt »

CaptainJoe wrote:Hi,

welcome on board.

You could minimize your panic by following the simple safety-instruction as to always have an emergency release that works immediately, i.e. the famous oil-can with your keys. When your house is on fire,
When your house is on fire, spilling oil is not on my list of priorities :-)
Personally, I go for an open bottle of red wine on a high shelf with a dangling towel under it, the keys on a large keyring round the neck. And after, as a reward, I get to drink a nice glass :-)
The downside, beyond splashing wine stains over the whole room, is a high risk of broken bottle, not recommended for blindfold sessions.