clock release

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
toon327

clock release

Post by toon327 »

i had made a clock release system that worked whit battery bud had to find out that the battery did only work for two hours with a normal kitchenclock because there was somthing wrong with the clock there for i am happy that i had a safty whit ice other wise my neighbour shout have found me what was a litle strange for him because i told him just to vissit me bud he had to bring the key's and put them on the floor, because i told him that if i was not at home it would be later....
does any one knows what type of clock is safe that i can use whit no problems , í believe that the key got stuck and that he stopt my clock and emty the battery
thanks in advance
neo

Post by neo »

Hiya,
I'm deeply suspicious of clock systems because they are complex mechanical things. I havn't tried a clock system because... I've known electric clocks minute hands stop working just because the glue / thread came unstuck from the main spindle.

I'd be more inclined to trust a big old fashioned clockwork alarm clock, but eventually they too pack up and die without warning. Part of the problem is you're putting a load on a lever arm that was never meant to have a load. If you look around you might be able to find a big bedside clockwork alarm clock somewhere second hand. I'd take the back off just to check how clean the workings are, and maybe give it a little light grade oil in the right spots (often marked "oil" or "<" on the mechanism casing). But keep using a safety... perhaps something other than an alternate timed release.

Actually typing this is putting me off my electric release theories, which is no bad thing. In my world, the bondage can be as complex as you like, but the release has to be very very simple. I haven't come up with anything safer / simpler than melting ice, though combination locks relying on daylight do have some temptations (with a safety release...)
angelinbounds

Post by angelinbounds »

how about a cooking clock were you need to spin the clock around so it starts ticking and at it and a buzz sound so you know you need to put out the fire of the cooking platform
LoRee
Retired Moderator

Post by LoRee »

toon327 wrote
. . . does any one knows what type of clock is safe that i can use whit no problems . . .
Seth Thomas is the most relyable & afordable brand name clock. It comes in both outlet plug-in & battery opperation. The plastic face cover & second hand is easy to remove. The minute hand is easy enough to adjust (bend outward), though the hour hand is a little more difficult (for those who prefer long term bondage) but doable.
"I find it far more annoying when the universe makes me work for damnation. I prefer it just gave it to me and save me the effort"
tyerrup

Clock as Timer

Post by tyerrup »

I have seen on another site an idea using your standard kitchen timer.
I mean the analog type that has a big handle and a max time of 1 hour.

What you do is glue or screw a plastic 35mm film canister to the dial handle so when enough time elapses, the canister is turned open end down and the key slides out. Of course, the key could also be tied to a string that is connected to the ceiling so when the can turns over the key falls and the string swings it over to where you need it