question regarding ropes...

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
snapplefan

question regarding ropes...

Post by snapplefan »

hey all,
i was using some relatively thin rope earlier today, and i have these red lines across my hands... is there any way to reduce or eliminate these marks, until i get larger rope??

thanks much
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

What you have there is called ropeburns. The best way to avoid it is to use something soft between your skin and the rope. The ropeburns you already have will disappear after some days. (Long armed sweaters are your friends.)
snapplefan

Post by snapplefan »

ok.

thx:-p
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

I need to correct myself. What you have are most likely ropemarks, not burns.

Ropemarks is a type of bruise caused by the pressure from the rope. The smaller the rope and the tighter it is applied, the higher risk of getting the marks. Bruises will disappear by themselves in a short time period.

Ropeburns are caused by the friction between the rope and your skin. It is similar to any other burns caused by contact with hot things. Severe ropeburns could need medical attention.
Lucy & Mike

Post by Lucy & Mike »

Lucy & Mike:
Seeing as this is going to be one of main pieces of equipment were going to be using to start off with, were going to be sure to try and avoid this, doesn't sound pleasant..
chicken_minute

Post by chicken_minute »

Hi L & M,
just use softer rope if you are worried about marks. softer ropes will probably cost more but you can find all the rope you need at any major hardware store.
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

If u are worried use a tea towel or scarf around your wrists and ankles instead of ropes... perfect for that lunch break fix...no body will ever know, also works well for gags....
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
misQui
Retired Moderator

Post by misQui »

Also, if you use synthetic rope (climbing rope is a good example) you can remove the core of the rope to make it more flexible and less liable to leave a mark. It takes a while to do, but it's worth it in the end.