Latex Vac Bed

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
Kirt_II

vacbed

Post by Kirt_II »

Hello everyone! This is my first post...very happy to be on board. I wanted to chime in on the whole vacbed and vacbed safety issue. I have much experience with vacbeds and vacboxes (most being solo). There have been several instances that I would consider a close call.

It was only the second time I used a vacbed. I had a timer and back-up timer connected to my 6.5 hp! shop vacuum. The first time I kept my hand very close to the zipper; this time, I made the mistake of placing my hand too far away. The timer was scheduled to turn off in 30 minutes. After only about ten minutes in the vacbed, I was beginning to feel a bit claustrophobic. I started to struggle---trying to reach the zipper. Then I started to become desperate and tried to even bite the hole I was breathing through. Unsuccessful with both attempts I tried to calm myself down. My heart rate must've been through the roof! After about five minutes I started to wonder if the unit was ever going to turn off the vacuum and let me out. This time I began to panic beyond what I thought possible. In a last attempt to free myself, I placed my fingers in a claw-like form and pulled my hands together somehow. This infact still did not break the latex...instead, the pvc piping came apart and tore the envelope down the middle. While I was so happy I was out, I had mixed feelings about not being able to remain in a mentally controlled state. For some time, vacbeds did not cross my mind. It was just a matter of time however till I began looking into purchasing my second vacbed. This time I promised myself to not enter the envelope alone. Guess what? I did it again (that is became trapped in the vacbed). I'll tell that one some other time.

As far as safety is concerned...I've now learned that I can use very thin .20 mm latex sheeting more safely. This thin latex is "weak" by comparison. Simply knowing I can tear the latex with my bear hands gives me the psychological confindence to wait until the vacuum turns off. I'm not saying that .20 mm latex is 100% escapable all the time, but it sure is an improvement. I have actually made vacboxes out of .20 mm latex; the person outside of the vacbox would tip the frame in different directions while the "thin/weak" latex would hold one in place. Infact, this thin material has never tore from simply being to thin while playing, bouncing, etc.

Again, happy to be part of the gang. :D
Would you ever guess that a Libertarian as myself could be into such bondage? #irony
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Welcome to the forum, Kirt! :hi:

You bring to light here another safety issue that could be applied to just about any self-bondage situation: psychological. Even if one takes all the technical precautions in the world, if you don't enjoy it, the scenario has failed.

And let's not forget that with a 6.5 hp shop vac, you could also end up trapped inside the vacuum cleaner... :P

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Kirt_II

Post by Kirt_II »

bound_jenny wrote:Welcome to the forum, Kirt! :hi:

You bring to light here another safety issue that could be applied to just about any self-bondage situation: psychological. Even if one takes all the technical precautions in the world, if you don't enjoy it, the scenario has failed.

And let's not forget that with a 6.5 hp shop vac, you could also end up trapped inside the vacuum cleaner... :P

Jenny.
Thank you for the welcome! Yeah, *sigh* the shop vac was a little overkill. :lol:
Would you ever guess that a Libertarian as myself could be into such bondage? #irony
mfx

Post by mfx »

One thing I didn't notice being mentioned is that vacuum cleaners are not generally designed to operate in this manner. The increased resistance to the airflow causes the motor to work a LOT harder and generate more heat also some designs pass the "sucked" air over the motor to assist in cooling the motor. Of course there SHOULD be a thermal cut out but I have heard of rare cases of cleaners overheating and catching fire and even if it doesn't catch fire it could be very expensive to repair.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

From one lady who has looked inside a vacuum cleaner while changing the bag:

The "sucked" air does not pass over the motor, since it is laden with dirt and other contaminants - which would gum up the works rather quickly. The motor has its own small cooling fan that is separate from the dirty air flow. At least mine has one.

The only thing I don't like about a vacuum cleaner is the horrendous din it makes when operating. I don't find anything erotic about lying trapped in a vac bed with an ear-splitting WHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! as my background music... One can't even hear one's self mmmph.

That's in addition to all the other issues regarding vac beds (for those who are waiting to pounce on me for not mentioning them).

Jenny.
mfx

Post by mfx »

I said SOME designs, and only AFTER it's been through the filters (otherwise the room would just fill up with dust again, the air that's sucked up has to go somewhere!) An example of hoover where the ONLY cooling is from the suction airflow is the popular "Henry" hoover. I think "Vax" Hoovers have both a small fan and use the airflow but it's a while since I've had one of them open.
Kirt_II

Post by Kirt_II »

bound_jenny wrote:From one lady who has looked inside a vacuum cleaner while changing the bag:

The "sucked" air does not pass over the motor, since it is laden with dirt and other contaminants - which would gum up the works rather quickly. The motor has its own small cooling fan that is separate from the dirty air flow. At least mine has one.

The only thing I don't like about a vacuum cleaner is the horrendous din it makes when operating. I don't find anything erotic about lying trapped in a vac bed with an ear-splitting WHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! as my background music... One can't even hear one's self mmmph.

That's in addition to all the other issues regarding vac beds (for those who are waiting to pounce on me for not mentioning them).

Jenny.
Jen, i use a dimmer switch with the vacbed. the vacuum sounds more like a fan in this case. you should try it.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

I hope your dimmer switch is designed for inductive loads like motors (I remember something from another section of the forum about fire...? Naahh, I'm hallucinating again...).

Jenny.
mfx

Post by mfx »

bound_jenny wrote:I hope your dimmer switch is designed for inductive loads like motors (I remember something from another section of the forum about fire...? Naahh, I'm hallucinating again...).

Jenny.
There is some truth in that. Dimmers MUST NOT be used with induction motors however you'll generally get away with it with AC brushed motors as long as the dimmer isn't a really cheap and nasty one. Vacuum cleaners use brushed motors. However most cleaners (here in the UK at least) have motor powers greater than 1000W and I've not seen any domestic dimmers rated at more than 1000W (although it looks like 2000W dimmers are widely available in the US). Another complication though is even though the motor will be spinning slower it will still generate a fair bit of heat and as the fan will also be running slower it MAY not provide enough cooling. So again bear in mind we're talking about operating cleaners in ways in which they weren't designed to and the designers probably didn't foresee so be careful.
Kirt_II

Post by Kirt_II »

mfx wrote:
bound_jenny wrote:I hope your dimmer switch is designed for inductive loads like motors (I remember something from another section of the forum about fire...? Naahh, I'm hallucinating again...).

Jenny.
There is some truth in that. Dimmers MUST NOT be used with induction motors however you'll generally get away with it with AC brushed motors as long as the dimmer isn't a really cheap and nasty one. Vacuum cleaners use brushed motors. However most cleaners (here in the UK at least) have motor powers greater than 1000W and I've not seen any domestic dimmers rated at more than 1000W (although it looks like 2000W dimmers are widely available in the US). Another complication though is even though the motor will be spinning slower it will still generate a fair bit of heat and as the fan will also be running slower it MAY not provide enough cooling. So again bear in mind we're talking about operating cleaners in ways in which they weren't designed to and the designers probably didn't foresee so be careful.
i never did take the time to look into such hazards. perhaps ill have to look into these readily available 2000W dimmers. thanks for the warning.
Dominion

Post by Dominion »

I would like to add the comment of would it be possible to do this but have a knife or some other item with you (retracted or folded up) so that if you are in trouble you have an out. Or are they restrictive to the point that this isn't possible.
ponylady

Post by ponylady »

Dominion wrote:I would like to add the comment of would it be possible to do this but have a knife or some other item with you (retracted or folded up) so that if you are in trouble you have an out. Or are they restrictive to the point that this isn't possible.
once the vacuum has taken hold you won't be able to move @ all.
Kirt_II

Post by Kirt_II »

ponylady wrote:
Dominion wrote:I would like to add the comment of would it be possible to do this but have a knife or some other item with you (retracted or folded up) so that if you are in trouble you have an out. Or are they restrictive to the point that this isn't possible.
once the vacuum has taken hold you won't be able to move @ all.
yea, i'd have to agree. unless the knife had a very strong spring to pop the retracted knife; the blade would have to be reversed (the blade side and dull side reversing roles). however, thanks for the idea dominion.
thedude

Post by thedude »

You know, I had a couple thoughts on how to possibly make this more safe... neither of which I've tried personally, as I don't own a vac bed.

- Heat buildup in the motor
As a failsafe, it might be possible to put a thermal fuse on the motor. I'd look for a roughly 200F fuse (something like these) and wire it in series with the motor, then attach it to the side (be sure that some metal on the fuse is in contact with whatever part of the motor gets hottest, though). Seems like that might be one option.

- Breathing safety
I really like the snorkel idea... they cover the lips, and have that raised area for you to bite on... the whole thing's hard plastic as well so it doesn't collapse. Another idea I was thinking of, however, would be to use a lower-face respirator similar to this one that I use when working with a dremel or airbrushing things. Most of these fit with a strap, and so with a long pre-start timer, you could fasten it entirely around your head, making it that much less likely to use it. It'd also keep pressure off the entire area of the mouth, no risk of biting it closed, etc. The trick would be to discard the normal breathing tube, open a bigger hole in the latex, and then somehow seal the bed around the edges of the mask, so only the filters (or filter ports, if you want totally unrestricted breathing) are outside the bed. Another possible safety feature here is, what if you don't get it onto your head in time? Well, then your arms are likely to be clutched around your head, elbows in front of your face, as you were trying to fasten it. Still a bit safer of a situation to be in, in my opinion.
Grinser

Post by Grinser »

Btw, I have recently come across some video material from a Japanese (? I think Japanese, at least something asian) website and they used a vacbed with a hole for the whole face in it. So basically the person inside is covered completely with the exception of their face, which significantly reduces the risk of breath-inhibiting accidents. And it seemed to hold the girl quite well, too, so I do not think the functionality is impaired by the bigger hole.
Again, without wanting to advertise, go to www.cocoa-soft.net and try to find the video Vacbed 004, the preview picture shows the mentioned vacbed.

A little off-topic, but boy they have some extreme asphyxiation stuff Oo ... I have seen my share of kinky videos, but that one video was the first time I ever felt compelled to have a closer look to see if she still had a pulse. Either those models are borderline suicidal or they are paid huuuuuge amounts of cash.
There is a beast inside man that should be exercised, not exorcised.