Latex Vac Bed

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
chicken_minute

Latex Vac Bed

Post by chicken_minute »

Well, I have now tried out my new toy - a latex vac bed.

Is it safe enough for safe bondage? Yes and no.

If I were to rate it's danger level from 1-10; 1 being free-roaming bondage with a key in an ice-cube and 10 being russian roullette, I would rate self bondage with a vac bed as a 7.

I would strongly advise any self-bondagers NOT to attempt using a vac bed

it can be used fairly safely, but if you are at all impatient, this thing could very easily kill you. If you are in the vac bed when the timer kick in, and you do not have the breathing tube in your mouth... you will suffocate
Simple as that: If your head isn't in position, if you're fussing about with the zip when the vacuum cleaner starts up, you're about 3 minutes from death.

However, there is a type of vac bed that has a large hole to allow your whole face through - probably a much safer design; if you're going to buy a vac bed, buy one of these. That's why I say "yes and no".

Would I use it again? Yes! But it's my risk to take, and I intend to be three times as careful next time.

:!: If you are determined to buy a vac bed for self-bondage, then follow my instructions:

DO NOT USE A VAC BED UNTILL YOU HAVE DONE THE FOLLOWING

1 :!:

BUY A VAC BED THAT HAS A LARGE HOLE TO ALLOW YOUR FACE THROUGH - IN MY OPINION, IT GREATLY REDUCES THE RISK OF SUFFOCATION. This is the only option that i would consider within acceptable levels of safety for extreme self bondage.

2 :!:

*if you are using a standard type vac bed*
First, the breathing tube supplied with my vac bed is rather small and it is not fixed in position. I will buy a wider tube of the same material (DO NOT USE A SOFT TUBE - it could be pinched tight shut by the rubber sheet!) and
then glue it into firmly into position with a couple of adhesive patches.

The tube supplied doesn't let you get in deep breaths - something you won't like. FIT A BIGGER TUBE.

3 :!:

THIS PART IS ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL!

Use a "segment timer" to start the vacuum cleaner, and have at least one other back up timer (first one set to 30 mins, second one to 15 mins).

ONCE THE TIMER HAS BEEN SET, GET IN THE BED; ZIP IT UP; POSITION YOUR FACE SO THAT YOU HAVE THE BREATHING TUBE SECURELY IN YOUR MOUTH.

DO NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE AFTER THIS POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will have to wait for about 15 minutes but: YOU MUST WAIT!.
No matter how long it seems to take, even if you think it isn't working, you MUST NOT MOVE! Do not do anything. Do not try to adjust anything. Remain still and WAIT.

THE VACUUM CLEANER WILL START!

I assure you, once the vacuum cleaner starts, you will NOT be able to get out. If you panic, if you lose the tube, you could die.

4 :!:

If you should lose the tube (why did you ignore my advice to fix it in position?) don't panic. So long as your mouth is still over the breathing hole - which will shrink to a tiny hole without the tube - you will still be able to breathe.

As I stated before, the tube must be fixed in position. I found that it was very easy to accidently push the tube out with my tongue so don't neglect to fit a bigger breathing tube and secure it properly - it is the difference between life and death.

5 :!:

If you are going to use nipple clamps/butt plug or whatever, you MUST have them in place before you get in the bed - refer to instruction #3.

6 :!:

For your first session, keep one hand outside of the zip so that you have half a chance of escaping if something goes seriously wrong - I guarantee that something will NOT go according to plan the first time you try it.
Better safe than dead.

segment timers usually have 15 minute settings, I strongly reccomend that for your first few sessions, you should set the vacuum cleaner to only run for 15 minutes.

The first time I tried it, it hurt my hand somewhat being half out of thezip, but I felt very glad that I had not jumped straight in - it was MUCH more restrictive than I had imagined.

The second time, I wore ear defenders and placed MP3 ear phones underneath - it doesn't work. My ears still went pop - the suction goes straight under the ear defenders and what's more, it hurt!
No harm done, but my ears were swollen for half an hour afterwards - and that was only from a 15 minute session.

For the second session, I did not have one hand out of the bed, so there was absolutely nothing I could do - i had to endure the discomfort and wait.

:!: :!: :!: :!: Pay attention: In the second session, I made a very serious error; I had spent a few minutes drinking a cup of tea before I got in the vac bed and the vacuum cleaner started much sooner than I was expecting.
No harm done, but if I had been lazy and not had the tube already clenched between my teeth... well, you know the consequences.

Don't forget: it takes a minute or two to zip up the vac bed - there are only 15 minutes before the vacuum cleaner starts.

so... what was it like?

The sensation of the vac bed is amazing; it's like you are turned into rubber from head to toe and it is SO tight!! OMG IT'S FUCKING-FUCKING -FUCKING TIGHT-TIGHT-TIGHT!!!

I lay there and waited.. and waited ..and waited.. I wasn't sure that the thing was even working. And then:

The vacuum cleaner starts: WOOOOoooooo! A second later: KsssssHHHH shuuuumppp. the rubber stretches against my forehead, by butt, my stomach, my face, my fingers.. my whole body is stuck to the latex, and it's TIGHT!!!
The vacuum goes to my ears and I can't hear anything except the faint sound of the vacuum cleaner.

there's a moment of slight panic as I have to suck breaths through that little tube (it's too small) but I calm down once I realize that with some effort - with one hand out of the zip - I can just about open the vac bed if I need to.

Now that I understand what the dangers are, I feel confident enough to use it again - once I've added a proper breathing tube (it's tempting to push at it with your tongue or chew it in the side of your mouth... dangerous) and I will use clamps and stuff to spice it up. I will use a smaller vacuum cleaner though - the Vax I used was probably too big, and after just 15 minutes the room got quite hot from the vacuum cleaner. I'll use something that doesn't work so hard.

I think I will now make myself a set of "electronic stocks".
I don't intend to use my vac bed very often because it's too extreme for
long sessions.

:arrow: Once again, I must make clear that while the vac bed is certainly huge fun if you have a safety partner, it's just too damn dangerous for self bondage. In retrospect, I would not have bought it.

[/b]
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

Thank you for a very well written article on the use of vacuum beds for selfbondage. You have already pointed out some of the biggest dangers and I hope that other members will point out those you might have missed. I also think that vacuum beds are not suitable for selfbondage and that anyone planing on trying it should be extremely careful. (I might add here that I have absolutely no personal experience of vacuum beds.)

Perhaps I am paranoid but I wonder about using those nipple clamps. I guess that there is a risk that they could puncture the latex if they have any sharp edges. Do not ask me why they should have sharp edges, it was just a thought.
chicken_minute

Post by chicken_minute »

Hi Anna :)

I thought I should post this topic because I know already that a lot of people DO buy vac beds for self bondage, and a safety guide seemed like a good idea - though rule number #1 is don't use one!

I think I'll probably have just as much fun with my electronic stocks - I'm goingto buy myself a doggy stockade (you know - the frame with ankle and wrist manacles and a neck collar) with the optional dildo rod - great for anal!
I can just imagine setting the timer for a couple of hours and being stuck fast with the dildo rod rammed up inside me and not being able to push it out.
And of course, it's a hell of a lot safer than a vac bed.

btw, i don't think nipple clamps would be likely to tear latex.
misQui
Retired Moderator

Post by misQui »

I have to admit, I have a long-standing fascination with vac-beds but would certainly not use one on my own. I spoke to a guy who was manufacturing them a couple of years ago and he said that for a really extreme experience, use a Dyson and a waterproof zip. Apparently the extra suction is quite an experience and, if you've got one with the airtight zip, you can turn the Dyson off and the vacuum will hold for a while without the annoying background noise.
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

misQui wrote:I have to admit, I have a long-standing fascination with vac-beds but would certainly not use one on my own.
What he said. :? 8)
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
puppydogbytes

Post by puppydogbytes »

Too many things to go wrong, I have one but would never use it on my own, too much possibility of suffocation and there's also the possibility of the vacuum cleaner overheating once most of the air has been expelled and catching fire - appealing yes but just far too risky....
'In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics' - Homer Simpson
digitaltoyz2004

Post by digitaltoyz2004 »

Hello, I've been a lurker here for quite a long time and I just wanted to say I agree that it's not a good idea to use a vac-bed for self bondage if it doesn't allow for your full face to be outside of it. Like stated above, it is VERY VERY VERY strict !!! I built my own vac bed a couple months ago and had a 3/4" breathing tube made of PVC fittings screwed together to sandwich the plastic and extended about 1.5" inside and outside of the bag. I did a test run for 2 minutes and then one for 4 minutes, then went 20 minutes once I was comfortable with it. It was extremely strict and there was no moving at all.....probably because I used a big shopvac for the suction. Anyway, with this setup, there was so much suction that it was impossible to move and it was even kinda sucking air out of my

mouth and through the breathing tube and caused my mouth and throat to become very very dry......then because I had rigid PVC for the breathing tube, I wasn't able to close my mouth at all to kind of wet it.

The strictness and feeling is amazing, but I didn't like how the air was being sucked out of my mouth so I won't be using it again till I come up with a way to modify it so my cace is outside of the bag. Does anyone have a link to a site with pics of a real vac-bed that has the full face outside the bag ? I just need to see what it looks like to get ideas on how I can modify my design to make it safer. I just can't figure out how I can do this since I can't be in the bag and duct tape the edge around my face. Then there's the problem of not knowing if the suction will pull the tape off my face when it sucks in around me.

Anyway, I DO NOT suggest doing this on your own with a small breathing tube or hole. I say a full face opening is the only way to go because you can not move once it sucks the air out.
puppydogbytes

Post by puppydogbytes »

digitaltoyz2004 wrote:I just need to see what it looks like to get ideas on how I can modify my design to make it safer.
I have a vac bed made by cocoon in the UK who do make a version in which your whole head is free (although it's not the version I have), it looks like this:

There's a very good true story posted by dimma here about a near miss with a vac bed which is well worth reading.
phantom37

Post by phantom37 »

I have a home-made vac-bed I built several years ago and I use it quite often on my own with no problems at all. Where the breathing tube comes through to the inside of the sheet I have attached the mouthpiece from a snorkel so you can get a 100% airtight seal around your mouth. There's no air being sucked out of your mouth this way, and it is very comfortable ofr long periods. The only thing I would say is if you are going to do this be sure to spend a bit more money and buy a good quality snorkel from a diving shop, not a cheap one from tourist beach shops! The cheaper ones do not have a proper shaped mouthpiece and you won't get an airtight seal when using it.
puppydogbytes

Post by puppydogbytes »

bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Here's an idea to make a vac bed just a little bit safer for SB and at the same time solves the problem of using a full-sized vacuum cleaner and the heat and noise (the noise!) it generates. Even some of the handheld corded models - I have one at home for cleaning out the car - make as much racket as a DC-8 on takeoff. It's a pretty good heater too.

At work, we have a cordless vacuum cleaner for cleaning up minor messes. Really minor. I would say that this vacuum sucks, but that would be an oxymoron. It seems to be an older one so I figure there might be some on the market that have better suction.

It makes very little noise, and generates practically no heat. And the safety aspect is that the battery eventually runs down (rather fast in the case of the one at work, which tips me off as to its age).

The only thing to figure out with this is how to activate it on a delay. Either that or keep it close to the vac bed and flip the switch through the membrane, which leaves little control for timing.

I suppose that running a pair of wires out from the switch, in parallel with it, to connect an external relay that is controlled by a timer, could be a solution.

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
puppydogbytes

Post by puppydogbytes »

bound_jenny wrote:And the safety aspect is that the battery eventually runs down (rather fast in the case of the one at work, which tips me off as to its age).
Can you hold your breath for as long as it takes for the battery to run down?

The major danger with vac beds is suffocation if you somehow loose your airway, the idea of anyone using a vac bed without an airway as appears to be the case here and here seems just plain crazy to me.

I have used them before and they are very restrictive even with a relatively weak vacuum (I have one with variable suction so have tried this) it's just that with a weaker vacuum they take longer to 'suck down'. The restriction is caused by the ambient air pressure outside pushing in not the force of the 'suck' of the vacuum cleaner, which just removes the air from inside the bag.
Grinser

Post by Grinser »

but then, of course, a longer 'suck down' time means more time to realize any mistakes. Still dangerous but a little better.
There is a beast inside man that should be exercised, not exorcised.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

puppydogbytes wrote: The major danger with vac beds is suffocation if you somehow loose your airway, the idea of anyone using a vac bed without an airway as appears to be the case here and here seems just plain crazy to me.
Well now that's a new one. :roll:

We all know that suffocation is the biggest danger here. And I agree that using a vac bed without an airway is crazy (as is believing that I would do so). Now assuming that all the proper precautions (as described in previous posts) were done so that the airway is not lost, and as you say even with a weak vacuum the restriction is very tight, I still would like to have the reassurance that the vacuum cleaner, weak or strong, will shut down by itself in case any timing device fails.

I hope the point is clear now. Just because I don't mention a particular aspect of something doesn't mean I am ignoring it or disregarding it, especially if others have explained it already under the same thread.

Jenny.

PS I don't even have a vac bed.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
puppydogbytes

Post by puppydogbytes »

Jenny I didn't think you were advocating using a vac bed without an airway, sorry if that was unclear.

My point is simply that if you lost your airway or it got blocked, knowing the suction would stop in 5 minutes time would not help you avoid suffocating.

I don't think vac beds are safe for self bondage full stop. That's my point