Water

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
chicken_minute

Water

Post by chicken_minute »

The only thing stuntmen are more afraid of than fire is water..

I read a story in the papers today about a woman who went to a radio station contest to compete to win a Nintendo Wii. The contestants drank 1/2 a pint of water every 15 mins and the last person to give up and go to the toilet won.
Unfortunately she died a few hours later of water intoxication.

I don't think it's the kind of publicity the radio station were hoping for :cry:
clever

Post by clever »

:shock: just water??? and half a pint? that's only a cup. I've filled myself up with beer to the point that i couldn't hold anymore before, peeing every 15 minutes or so, and didn't have any trouble. I guess if your bladder explodes you're pretty much dead though. All for a Nintendo Wii too... I mean for a car maybe, but a Wii? Gosh, some people...
LoRee
Retired Moderator

Post by LoRee »

I know we covered this line of discussion on another thread here some where. However, it is more your body mass index (BMI) that determines how drunk you really get or how much fluid you can consume before something like that happens, ie your kidneys shut down, or you stroke out cause you flushed all you electrolytes out etc. etc. etc. . . . . . . . :roll:
"I find it far more annoying when the universe makes me work for damnation. I prefer it just gave it to me and save me the effort"
clever

Post by clever »

heh, yeah 215 pounds is a lot to get drunk... :P
LWallis

Post by LWallis »

I haven't checked out the forum for a while, but I thought it may be a good idea to post this story.

Chicken_minute beat me to it.

I never knew drinking too much water could kill you, but apparently as little as 1.8 litres in 1 sitting (60 fl oz for you guys n' girls still stuck in an imperial world), can do it for someone who has a salt imbalance and/or bad kidneys.

Good kidneys can process about 1.5 litres per hour. (The contestants were being fed 250ml every 15 minutes). Sweating makes it worse as you loose salt.

Enough from me - just take it easier on some of the scenarios, and if suffering from extreme abdominal pain afterwards - see the doc! Up to what to say as to why you drank so much. :P
clever

Post by clever »

isn't a big gulp from seven eleven 60 oz? She must be from another country or something; a native born american can take that easy. :P Well, i guess that's disregarding the fact that there is ice in a big gulp... Alright, just so my imperial mind can think about this properly, according to google:

1.8 liters = 0.475509692 US gallons

so it was less than half a gallon. I know for a fact that when i have been thirsty enough i've been able to down half a gallon of milk. Again, we have concluded that i'm probably significantly larger than she was, but just the thought of such a seemingly small amount baffles me. :shock:
chicken_minute

Post by chicken_minute »

No this was in the USA. I guess the contest went on for a long time.