Snow play

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
Phantom980

Snow play

Post by Phantom980 »

There is only a few topics which include snow on this site and it seems to have gotten a bad rap. To me, snow is one of the funnest things to include. It seems to be looked upon as very dangerous. With a little practice and a knowledge of your limits it can be quite fun.

I have gone naked in the snow 100+ times now. The longest time was 1 hr 18 mins with only boots. and 37 mins barefoot. I'm Canadian, I have forest around me. And snow is tied with bondage as my 2 favorite fetishes. Now I would say I'm conditioned a little more than most, but my feet still get cold quick, I am slender so I don't have thick layer of body fat to keep me warm. You just need to know your limits & surroundings.

So I would encourage you, if possible to try some snow play. Look up some pictures on the internet. There's lots out there.

So Safety, I have not yet once gotten frostbite, or sick, or anything from snow play.

First is outdoor temperature. To me the fantasy of the colder it is, the better. The reality is just not the case. The coldest I've been out in is -35C and I was only able to stay out like 10 seconds. The ideal temperatures for extended outdoor duration are from 2C to -2C. Not really warmer and I'll explain why in the snow section.

Second is wind. very light, to none is best, because wind just pulls your heat away. Forests are good for lower wind conditions (and privacy)

Then there's the snow. If you decide to go barefoot, then the snow type is very important. If it's too warm then the snow becomes packing snow, then there's a dampness to it that just lessens the enjoyment. On the other end of the spectrum, if it's a little too cold then it becomes icy, it feels sharp, hurts to walk on, by far the worst type of snow. Old snow is generally icy, lots of edges, hard on tender cold feet. Can be very unpleasant. The best snow is right in that temperature range, and freshly fallen. White powder, it's soft, it's cold, sticks to you in the right amount. Nice and loose and easy to walk through. My preferance is the deeper the better. Sometimes I head up north to the cottage, and usually you can find snow up past your waist that's still all soft. Great fun.

Time of day, well that's up to you. The sun can be warming, but tends to make the snow wet. Night time is generally colder but much more private.

The BEST conditions are a night where it's snowing quite heavily, but with little wind. It's not the most common, but happens a good amount of times here. If snow is falling in thick flakes that means it's within the good temperature range, and if it's happening at night then even better because it's not getting all soft from the sun.

So then most importantly there's you. Now I'm not a doctor or anything, I'm just a person who's done this a bunch of times and wants to share what I've experienced so someone new has a bit of info since there isn't to much out there on the net. If you have good conditions, then it's a physiological game. If you start to feel short of breath when you're outside, then it's time to get warm. I've gotten close to that point on days where its been cold, you feel you're body tense up really tight. Shivering is normal, if you can't control it you should go get warm. As for extremities the word 'numb' can be used improperly. Being barefoot in snow for 20 minutes you're feet lose a lot of sensation. But not totally. If a toe or finger or limb can feel nothing, then get warm. Like I said I've been out barefoot for a long time, and I try to make my path take me through puddles if possible. My feet turn white and they are cold, slow to respond, and they hurt after a while. Don't do this sport for the pain, because then you'll be getting yourself in trouble. I'm at the point where I just know my body, but a good way to gauge is flick your foot with a twig, if you can still feel it you're still ok. Just use common sense. If you don't feel it and it is actually 'numb' go get warm. If you see any dark purple, go get warm. That's happened to me once, I was fine, but it was a little close for my comfort. Just keep wiggling your toes, if they all still move that's good, if you lose motor function go get warm!. If you're unsure, go get warm. Clapping your hands, or slapping the tops and bottoms of your feet will promote blood the flow, this is good.

Don't put any cold parts of you under warm water. If you decide to warm from water, start off cool, then warm up. Otherwise use a blanket to get warm.

Heading into snow from a hot shower, or hot tub can give a false sense of warmth. You may be able to endure a snow angel or whatever, but if you head too far away, you're still wet, and that heat doesn't last long, then the effect of the cold are much more magnified. What I tend to do, is work myself up either inside or out, depending on the scenario you set up for your self. Running on a treadmill for 10 minutes, or running up and down a path in your winter gear outside until your breathing a little heavy is a good start. Gets blood pumping, and so on. Just be aware of your sweat, you can warm yourself up, but if you sweat once you remove everything then it's just like being wet.

"Finishing" yourself. This I can only speak of for myself. I've learned the hard way of this. If I 'finish' myself off out in the snow right after I'm immediately freezing cold, and have absolutly NO desire to be out there anymore. So if i'm not close to warmth then it's just hell getting back. So I refrain on finishing, until im totally done and close to warmth. Even next to clothes, the danting task of trying to put them on is not fun. So plan for that, if you walk 10 minutes away, don't finish out there unless you know you're not like me. Once it's not fun anymore, and you relive your excitement, there is nothing left keeping you warm. Like i said, a big part of being warm is psychological. You're state of mind can keep you warm for the most part. Just be aware of you're body.

My goal is to make it an hour outside naked/barefoot.

So start off small, wait for the right conditions and give it a try, poor conditions can give a bad taste of the whole experience. Figure out your limits. I make myself endure different situations all the time now during winter, some I'll post in the scenarios section, along with some backup ideas.

Hope you enjoyed the read, unfortunately I'm pressed for time so I may add to this. I'll post into the scenarios soon.
This was sent to me, I loved it!
nitro
Retired Moderator

Re: Snow play

Post by nitro »

Nice description. I have been out in the colder temps but not naked, although nearly. Did not stay out long but it is very invigorating. Does not get down to -35C here very often (random fact, -40C == -40F). Last year it got down to -19F (-28C). I really like it about +20F (-7C), not too cold but the snow makes a nice crunching noise as you walk on it. If it gets too cold out you end up with icicles forming on your mustache from the moisture in your breath.

We had a neighbor, growing up, that had a sauna. He would sit in the sauna and then after 15-20 min run outside and jump into the lake (before the ice comes) but it was still freezing cold water. Did not seem to bother him. Then there is the penguin plunge (http://www.vtso.org/burlington_plunge.php) where they cut a hole in the ice so you can jump into the lake (nearly naked).

Snow in the mountains here already (one ski center has opened) should be able to try your new scenarios soon :D