New upcoming device

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
pansexual

New upcoming device

Post by pansexual »

Hi there,

another post about selfmade electric torture devices reminded me on my recent first aid course.

First I have to add: I prefer buying electric torture devices purposed for this usage. Risking my life several times for the sake of saving some money? Hell, no.

But for those who are willing to spend some money just for the case something badly happens with you and your bought electric devices, I think not everybody knows yet: there is a new first aid device for heart problem candidates:

Automatic defibrilators. Such a package is easy to use: just open it (read the manual if you like), add a red a blue pad to the chest where the pictures tell you. Start it. After that the device is checking and watching the clients heart rythm if he needs help. If its as serious, it tells you what to do (basically push the button and get your distance).

What makes it recommending is, that it first of all checks if you are okay. Not as good as a doctor, but for home usage quite cool. And the second thing is, that it is not as expensive as I had expected, and because in Europe they are going to recommend and maybe even force it, its definetly going to get cheaper. At the moment, such a device costs around a thousand Euro.

Because there are several companies producing such device, I rather give you the search engine keyword first aid defibrilator.
Plan ahead. Don't be overambitious. Slowly step by step. Play safe. Have fun. And tell us.
bound_jenny

Re: New upcoming device

Post by bound_jenny »

I see many lawsuits in the future... there is sooooo much capacity for this device to be misused, especially in the hands of the uninitiated (i.e., the target market). Imagine this being used by a nervous, stressed-out and untrained person in an emergency. :shock:

Just a little 411 on defibrillators: they deliver a big shock to restart the heart on someone that's technically dead already, but not dead enough to be unable to revive. Basically, it's a last ditch resort because normally, this could kill.

Very bad idea.

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
onestrangeguy

Post by onestrangeguy »

Defibrillator's have been available to the general public for a number of years now. I would agree with Jenny that they could be misused, although it would probably be hard to do so. Modern defibrillator's monitor the hearts rhythm (If there is one), and will only administer a jolt when it is needed. There is no method for a user to just hook one up and give someone a jolt like you could with the old ones. So unless you can fake it by stopping your heart you are unlikely to get zapped.
Another deterrent to their misuse is the price. The last i had heard they were up near $1,000. More than most folks want to pay for a little fun. Buy yourself an electric dog collar instead. :lol:
There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away.
ruru67

Post by ruru67 »

bound_jenny wrote: Just a little 411 on defibrillators: they deliver a big shock to restart the heart on someone that's technically dead already, but not dead enough to be unable to revive.
I'm going to nitpick. Ha, try to stop me! :lol:

A defibrillator does not "restart" the heart. Quite the opposite in fact.

The signals that instruct the heart muscle to pump are initiated from the sinoatrial node of the heart, basically your body's natural pacemaker. Those signals normally propagate through the heart, causing the muscle to contract. Fibrillation occurs when those signals lose this synchronisation, causing random, rapid and uncoordinated contractions which don't effectively pump blood. When this happens, the signal coming from the SA node is essentially lost in the noise.

A defibrillator applies a big shock to the whole heart muscle, which effectively "shouts down" the unsynchronised signals. The shock doesn't actually start the heart pumping; you might get a pump from the heart contracting as a result of the shock, but you have to have the signal from the SA node ticking away properly for the thing to keep going afterwards. It's the relative quiet following the shock that allows the SA node to get back in control, and that in turn gets the heart pumping again.

That said, using a defibrillator in an SB context strikes me as a Unbelievably Bad Idea.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Counter-nitpick: call it a Reader's Digest version of the explanation. Yours is correct but fails to deliver a clear and simple picture of what the device is really for and what it can do if not used properly or if it is used for anything else than its intended purpose. Sinoatrial nodes and unsynchronised signals somehow don't convey that picture. Sounds more like computer network problems. :P

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
ruru67

Post by ruru67 »

bound_jenny wrote:Counter-nitpick: call it a Reader's Digest version of the explanation. Yours is correct but fails to deliver a clear and simple picture of what the device is really for and what it can do if not used properly or if it is used for anything else than its intended purpose. Sinoatrial nodes and unsynchronised signals somehow don't convey that picture.
Perhaps, but it's a common misconception that a defibrillator starts the heart, when in fact it stops it.

If you begin with the notion that the device will start a heart, it follows that "starting" an already running heart is "safe". That's a line of reasoning that could kill someone.
Sounds more like computer network problems.
I fix computer network problems for a living. So you'll have to excuse me for being a bit geeky.
Kronopticon

Post by Kronopticon »

so. tl;dr (tl;dr means "too long; didnt read") defibrillators are for eliminating irregular heart rhythm's, not restarting a dead heart.

overall, i dont think it'd be any good for BDSM for any kind, sorry, but "i'm out" (been watching too much dragons den >.<)
http://fetlife.com/users/209924 <- My Fetlife Page
"If you're enjoying it, that means you're doing it right."
Lost Soul

Post by Lost Soul »

We have them at various locations on the walls at work, and I am one of the people trained to use them. They style that we have is one of the automatic ones, were it will not deliver a shock if it senses a heartbeat. I'm going to go with the flow here and state that using it for anything other than its intended purpose is a Bad Idea. (Note the caps. A Bad Idea is far stupider than a bad idea) :)

What I find funny about these devices is that they include a razor in the kit, and specifically tell you to shave the victim's chest bare before applying the adhesive pad. I understand that this will provide a better seal for the pad & therefore better conductivity for the electricity, but seriously? The dude has no heartbeat? Oh, let's take the time to shave him before we save his life. Yet another case of corporate greed, where it's cheaper to design & sell an inferior product, rather than Do It Right. :evil:
This is something everyone has to decide for themselves:
How badly do you want it? How badly are you willing to be burned to get it?