Mechanisms of Release

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
Elben

Mechanisms of Release

Post by Elben »

Hello all. A few ideas have recently come to the surface of my mind as to the method of releases, mostly by electronic means.

1) A constant source of water, fresh or otherwise, is suspended over a beaker or flask of granular salt in such a manner that the water drips out at a controllable rate. Inside the container are two wires, a few millimeters above the surface of the salt. The idea is that as the water drips, it will dissolve the salt in the container. When the water can contact both wires, the circuit would be completed, as the salt allows a valence bridge to be formed.

1B) The above concept could be used in reverse as well. Consider a set of electromagnetic stocks. The circuit has, in some vital point, a beaker of saltwater to allow the connection. As the water evaporates, the circuit would be complete. Until the vital point whereupon the water either becomes too low to complete the circuit or where the mixture no longer can conduct a charge. Thus, the circuit would break and the stocks would open.

2) A cork is floated in a tube. A graduated cylinder or the like, with the cork wide enough that it will not turn to its side, but narrow enough that it won't jam. On this cork a strip of conductive metal is placed. This strip should not be affixed to the top of the cork in any manner, for safety. The cork and strip are held down by a pair of contacts. As the water evaporates from the tube, or is drained in some other manner, the level shall decrease enough until the circuit is broken, and thus, release.

3) Using AAA cell batteries, a key is affixed to an electromagnet by the obvious means of magnetism. A string or other connective item is tied so that the keys will not fall out of reach. The electromagnet draws a steady amperage at a voltage related to the length of the inductive wire used in said electromagnet. Thus, if one knows the volts and amps that the electromagnet draws, it could be calculated how long a single, a pair, or more batteries could suspend a key. A resistor network could even be inserted to allow finer control over the duration that the magnet would be energized.

Mechanical Ideas:

1) A device may be constructed consisting of a number of compartments that are closed by a latch. By design, the latch should be hair-triggerable. These compartments, perhaps the size of a can of soda, would be mounted on a frame over someone in their favourite position. The latches would be attached in a secure manner to a device of some construction that would randomly open a compartment over the subject in question. The key would be placed in a compartment before the fun began, naturally. However, with a lack of true randomness simulators available, randomly-set kitchen timers would work well, or a single computer microchip controlling all of the latches. If additional fun should be desired, the compartments can be filled with a number of items. Urine, semen, marbles, chocolate syrup, india ink, icewater, etc.

2) The end of a rope is frozen in a block of ice. This rope is looped over a simple pulley and attached to a weight identical in mass to that of the block of ice. The key for release is then attached securely to this weight so it may not be lost. As the ice melts, the weight begins to descend. Care must be taken that the weight is not over the person, or is light enough that they will not be injured in the case of sudden gravity.
tiemeupalso

Re: Mechanisms of Release

Post by tiemeupalso »

these sound interesting,except the last one.
the idea that two equil mass will decend slowly as one item loses mass is wrong.onse the weight has changed the heavier mass will start to decend and increase in speed untill something stops it.as it decends,that side of the pully with the heavier weight also gets heavier,by the accumulation of more of the rope,thus creating a bigger difference in the masses.once started it will continue to fall with increasing speed till it hits the floor,table,etc. and comes to rest.
ydal

-Deleted-

Post by ydal »

-Deleted-
Last edited by ydal on 12 May 2014, 02:57, edited 1 time in total.
Kronopticon

Post by Kronopticon »

other issues with the frozen rope idea are that the rope isnt always secure in the ice, the ice around the rope might melt first for example, causing the ice to simply drop off, and how do you freeze a rope in ice without freezing the entire rope. limiting its uses.
http://fetlife.com/users/209924 <- My Fetlife Page
"If you're enjoying it, that means you're doing it right."
G4K-DK

Post by G4K-DK »

I got a few ideas in my head about release mechanisms too, most of them require one or another kind of small electric thing. But I think the opposite, instead of making it activate to release, then deactivate to release.

What is floating around in my head currently is deadbolt door lock, it requires a constant current to hold the bolt out, if it looses power, the spring inside it will pull the bolt out. Looking inside the mechanism shows me that it is a very very simple, thing, the most complex is actually to make it push the bolt out, not to make it return. So my current idea is something where it is enabled, turned upside down, maybe with some kind of battery, and then some electronics to deactivate it. If the electronics fail to deactivate, the battery will run out, and release it, because it must have the current to keep it locked. At the same time placed upside down, so if the spring inside fails, gravity will do the job instead.

Attached a few images of it, can anyone see any problems with my idea? I might have overlooked something. :D
Attachments
sku_6372_3.jpg
sku_6372_1.jpg
lj

Post by lj »

as an Electronics Engineer, I'd avoid anything using electrical /elctronic circuits as a release, there are just too many things to go wrong, and you must design so any failure produces a release.

One I would contemplate is the magnetic locks that simply attract a steel plate, no locking mechanism to jam, the two parts are only held together by current passing through the coil. Powered with a battery of a suitable size that will go flat within a safe time, then use a timer of some form to limit the actual time within that overall limit.

These locks are very strong and can be powered with a tiny battery for several hours. Battery power is safer than mains-powered as there is no lethal voltage present under any circumstances.
be a switch, double the fun :-)
G4K-DK

Post by G4K-DK »

lj wrote:as an Electronics Engineer, I'd avoid anything using electrical /elctronic circuits as a release, there are just too many things to go wrong, and you must design so any failure produces a release.

One I would contemplate is the magnetic locks that simply attract a steel plate, no locking mechanism to jam, the two parts are only held together by current passing through the coil. Powered with a battery of a suitable size that will go flat within a safe time, then use a timer of some form to limit the actual time within that overall limit.

These locks are very strong and can be powered with a tiny battery for several hours. Battery power is safer than mains-powered as there is no lethal voltage present under any circumstances.
Got a link to any of those? Only thing I have been able to find are some industrial which requires 230V~ thats why i went with the door lock, it engages at around 9V dc and can handle up to 24V so it can easy be driven by battery, and there are also only a electromagnet inside pushing the bolt up.
lj

Post by lj »

G4K-DK wrote:
lj wrote:as an Electronics Engineer, I'd avoid anything using electrical /elctronic circuits as a release, there are just too many things to go wrong, and you must design so any failure produces a release.

Got a link to any of those? Only thing I have been able to find are some industrial which requires 230V~ thats why i went with the door lock, it engages at around 9V dc and can handle up to 24V so it can easy be driven by battery, and there are also only a electromagnet inside pushing the bolt up.

offhand, no, sorry

I bought one on EBay, try a search for "magnetic locks" the one I have is nominally 12v or 24vdc, but when set for 12vdc will operate from a PP3 battery, which would die, and release after about 3 hours .
be a switch, double the fun :-)
G4K-DK

Post by G4K-DK »

Found them on ebay... My next problem is then that I can't find anyone willing to send them to my country. :evil:
onestrangeguy

Post by onestrangeguy »

Of course, we don't know what country that might be...
That's why some of uf fill out where we're from in our profiles. :roll:
There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

onestrangeguy wrote:Of course, we don't know what country that might be...
That's why some of uf fill out where we're from in our profiles. :roll:
If you paid any attention at all to his introductory thread, you'll know he's from Denmark.

Naughty, naughty boy... :whip:

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
G4K-DK

Post by G4K-DK »

Found one that was willing to send it to me :D
onestrangeguy

Post by onestrangeguy »

bound_jenny wrote:If you paid any attention at all to his introductory thread, you'll know he's from Denmark.

Naughty, naughty boy... :whip:

Jenny.
Sorry, i deserved (And loved) that one.
There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away.
G4K-DK

Post by G4K-DK »

Magnet arrived, strong as hell... but getting hot, a bit hotter than I would like, but maybe they are supposed to do that?

Voltage is about 12.05V so its pretty precise, and current is around 500mA (jumps a bit around), as the manual says too.
Lost Soul

Post by Lost Soul »

Well I'm no electrical engineer, but I know if you pass an electrical current through something, it heats up. :) This is why computer processors have ginormous heat sinks, and is a key part of arc welding. Probably not much you can do but insulate your skin from it to avoid discomfort or injury. A note of caution though, insulating with something flammable could cause it to ignite, or keep the heat in & cause your magnet to overheat. :shock: I dunno if that's bad for electromagnets, maybe our resident electrical engineer does?
This is something everyone has to decide for themselves:
How badly do you want it? How badly are you willing to be burned to get it?