Rope burn

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
Mooshy

Rope burn

Post by Mooshy »

Is there any way to prevent rope burn? I was trying out a new techniqe two days ago and still have the remnents of rope burn! The only real alternative i can think of at the moment is to wear rubber washing up gloves, so no matter wear the string ends up around my wrists or arm it shouldnt leave a burn on my skin. Any other good tips out there for combating rope burn?
bound_jenny

Re: Rope burn

Post by bound_jenny »

I think there may be an ambiguity between rope marks and rope burn.

Rope marks are caused by excessive pressure on a single spot for an extended period. These are more like bruises. The only way to relieve that is to slacken the bonds just a tad, use multiple loops of rope to spread the load, or get leather cuffs.

Rope burn, on the other hand, is caused by friction by a fast-moving rope across the skin. These are like actual burns. There, the method of avoidance is obvious.

Jenny.
Fesselfan

Post by Fesselfan »

Additionally, the material of rope used can affect this (both aspects, burns and marks).

Cheers

FF
onestrangeguy

Post by onestrangeguy »

I was going to say about the same thing as Fesselfan.

Pollypropoline can give you a severe burn quicker than you would imagine. Cotton clothesline is probably the best for not burning. Personaly i prefer a soft nylon.

Jenny also has a good point. If you were securely tied it is more likely that you received a 'Chafe' or some other type of mark which is more of an abrason of the skin rather than a 'Burn' which usually requires that a rope slide across the skin such as being pulled through the palm of your hand causing real heat for a burn. Then there are just rope marks which are more of an indentation in the skin sometimes accompanied by a slight redness. These are caused by the pressure of the rope and usually fade after a few hours.

My guess is you have a chafe, and threr really isn't much you can do to prevent them other than not to struggle so fiercely, or to wear gloves under the ropes. Even thin cotton gloves should help considerably unless Jenny ties you, in which case you might as well plan on staying tied. :hi:
Mooshy

Post by Mooshy »

At the moment im using quite thin nylon rope/string which i can hide discreetly in my room. I see your point, i didnt feel any burning sensation as such, there was just a thin red line around my wrists where the rope at been, must have been abit of chafe, still, hiding it at work was abit of a so so the next day! I would gladly let jenny tie me, just aslong as chafeing was at a minimum :P
onestrangeguy

Post by onestrangeguy »

Thicker rope will help some, and feel more comfortable. I use different diameter ropes depending on the length. 1/4 inch (Clotheslone) is about as thin as you want to go for most purposes. 5/16 or 3/8 is even better. The disadvantage of thicker rope is that uou generally need longer pieces and it is sometimes more cumborsome to tie.

Rope is useful for a lot of things. I have several pieces wrapped around my sleeping bag to keep ir rolled up nicely. :hi:
Mooshy

Post by Mooshy »

Ah ritey, I've just been experimenting with lengthening the piece of rope therefore making more coils to go around my wrist, this should hopefully take some of the pressure of just one little spot on my wrists. I'd love to go out and buy thicker rope, however its more expensive and harder to cut with scissors, and with the type of self bondage i do i need to be able to cut through the rope. That sleeping bag idea sounds pretty nifty! Like the idea of only having your head free, perhaps thats the reason i like pillorys and barber capes for some reason!
Kronopticon

Post by Kronopticon »

i generally dont like to use clothesline cord, since i believe it is much too thin and cuts off circulation much too easily, and yeah, those indentations are a bitch, but there's always a good excuse, your ingenuity can surprise you a lot when the pin is pulled. :P
onestrangeguy

Post by onestrangeguy »

Another option is nylon straps. They come in all widths some with buckles that squeeze open.
Personaly, I scisors on a rope is my last resort.
ydal

-Deleted-

Post by ydal »

-Deleted-
Last edited by ydal on 12 May 2014, 02:58, edited 1 time in total.
onestrangeguy

Post by onestrangeguy »

I am going to sound like a professor here, but I hope it answers your question.

'Rope burns' are created when rope rubs or slides over the skin, This can produce heat from friction giving a real burn, or it can abrade the skin giving more of a 'scrape' similar to when you fall on concrete or asphalt.

'Rope marks' are produced over time (Sometimes a short time) when a rope compresses and digs into the skin. These are really usually more of a compression mark than a real injury, and they usually quickly fade.

A wider, or heavier roap will lessen the effect of rope marks. An even better option is to spread the tightness over a wider area of skin by using something like nylon straps. This is also one reason why people so often use wrist and ankle cuffs. Not only does the wider restraint help lessen the marks, they are also more comfortable, which is often a good thing.

In any case, putting something like a bandage (Or sox), gloves, or even a (shirt, sweater or jacket) sleeve under the binding should also help considerably.
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

ydal wrote:Is there a way to get rid of rope marks/burns?

Have fun and be safe.
A topical ointment intended for scrapes or burns can be helpful for speeding the healing process for marks on the outer layer of skin. Making bruises go away faster is not something that I know. Either way, it is not an instant process.
Resident timer maker. :hi:
Let’s make timers together!
ydal

-Deleted-

Post by ydal »

-Deleted-
Last edited by ydal on 12 May 2014, 02:59, edited 1 time in total.
Kinkychris

Post by Kinkychris »

I find that good cotton rope is the best. When yo first get it run it through the washer with some fabric softener. You still have to be careful but this method seems to work quite well.