Can plug in massagers become a fire or shock hazard?

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
Helpless

Can plug in massagers become a fire or shock hazard?

Post by Helpless »

Hi. Is it safe to plug in a back massager for use in SB? Anyone ever heard of one burning up or producing electric shocks because of overuse? Mine has a built in optional heating element as well. One to two hours seems a long time to let a machine like that run with no way to shut it off. Thanks in advance.
Jericho

Re: Can plug in massager's become a fire or shock hazard?

Post by Jericho »

I would buy a simple timer for various electrical devices for this problem, that way you can have it on for a time, off for a cool off period, on again, and so on.
That would allow the massager to cool off, greatly reducing of eliminating the risk of overheating and shorting out the massager.
Grinser

Re: Can plug in massagers become a fire or shock hazard?

Post by Grinser »

I suppose buying a slightly more expensive brand product is a lot safer than using a cheap China-spawned imitation, those tend to be safety hazards. I don't know how your country of origin handles that, but in Germany most products have safety labels that are only given to products that have passed more or less harsh safety tests. Try to buy one that has been tested if possible, usually the testers will have them run for insane lenghths of time which you will probably never reach during your sessions.
Also, consider purchasing an extension cord/multi-outlet with a built in fuse, they are usually available in computer stores and the like.
nitro
Retired Moderator

Post by nitro »

Grinser wrote:Also, consider purchasing an extension cord/multi-outlet with a built in fuse, they are usually available in computer stores and the like.
Even better if you get an extension cord with a GFCI. These will protect from more than just a circuit overload. (ie liquid in a bad spot) These are available in the US ranging from $12 and up.

Since this is an international board here are some other acronyms:
GFCI (aka GFI) = Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (USA, Canada)
ELCB (aka ELB) = Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker (U.K.)
RCCB (aka RCB) = Residual Current Circuit Breaker (Europe)
Grinser

Post by Grinser »

Thanks, thats what I meant, but try to find that in a dictionary ^^