test first !

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
lj

test first !

Post by lj »

a quick session that ended with a problem

tried out using a soft rope loop cinched with a cable tie, another cable tie to attach to an overhead chain with my usual ice-bag lock. Also trying out the new black satin blouse, corset, leather miniskirt and 4" heels just for added fun :)

With ankles and knees tightly tied and cinched, movement was very limited. After the ice-lock released I hopped carefully to get the side-cutters

...which were too blunt to cut the cable tie :shock:

fortunately I could release the ball-gag and then use my teeth to undo the knots in the rope and finally release my wrists

the moral of the story TEST FIRST!
mfx

Post by mfx »

Wow they must have been REALLY blunt. A bit of advice if a similar situation ever crops up (despite all the testing that you've done). First DON'T PANIC! Try "Nibbling" through the tie with the cutters a bit at a time. By using a very small area of blade you greatly increase the pressure applied and increase the chances of it cutting, also rocking the cutters side to side and twisting them while squeezing will help to stretch the plastic making it easier to cut.
Lost Soul

Post by Lost Soul »

My tool of choice for cutting cable ties has always been diagonal cutters. Also sometimes referred to as dikes. They're pretty much designed for wire cutting, and handle thin metal, such as metal strapping or banding very well. They are shaped very similarly to your side cutters, but even after using a pair for years, it still snips through just about anything.
This is something everyone has to decide for themselves:
How badly do you want it? How badly are you willing to be burned to get it?
lj

Post by lj »

I hadn't realised how blunt they were (obviously :lol: )

I probably could have found something else to cut with, but the room I was in (a hobby room in more ways than one :lol: ) has very steep unprotected stairs, so I was limited to what I could find. A scalpel was a possibility, but first I had to find it and second risk slicing into skin given the limited dexterity resulting from a very good cinch. I did once use a pair of craft scissors, which broke at the hinge and the sharp blade sliced my hand, resulting in a nice blood trail.