Collar safety

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
Wolfy

Collar safety

Post by Wolfy »

I am going to try the bound kitty scenario, but first I need to make sure that everything is safe.
I am not overly concerned about the padded metal manacles I have, but the collar is giving me some concern. I know that it is possible for the neck (circumference) to expand given certain conditions, and that a tightly buckled collar might choke the wearer to death if she or he is extremely unlucky. I have no intention of buckling it tightly at all, but I am wondering if it is possible to pinch a nerve or vein better left un-pinched.
The collar is 2” wide, so it is somewhat severe, but nothing compared to a posture collar.

The picture is taken from the "create a custom collar" section at sub-shop.com ( http://www.sub-shop.com/3602acreate-a-c ... ollar.aspx )

I am probably overly concerned, but as a novice I think I should be. It would be rather dumb, not to mention selfish of me to get myself killed during play.

Wolfy
lj

Post by lj »

As long as it won't go over your head it will do the job in your scenario, but may not feel as restrictive as you might like.

I would suggest you make sure you can easily put a couple or three fingers between your neck and the collar. That will avoid any risk of damage, fainting or worse.
ponylady

Post by ponylady »

lj wrote: I would suggest you make sure you can easily put a couple or three fingers between your neck and the collar.
when i read this post i wanted to say exactly that.

also:

a collar should allways be buckled in the back, not the front.

and do not restrain yourself by fastening anything @ the back or above you.
you don't want to accidentally crush your windpipe.
Wolfy

Post by Wolfy »

I tried the collar on just now and fortunately it is wide enough to allow me to grip the collar with one hand. The collar also buckles in the back, so I should be golden :)

Thanks for all the sage advice

Wolfy
EmmaTVEdinburgh

Post by EmmaTVEdinburgh »

ponylady wrote:
lj wrote: a collar should allways be buckled in the back, not the front.
Out of interest, why do you say that? My collar has D rings on three "corners", and at the fourth it buckles.

I've had the buckle at the front and back without an issue, but do generally sleep with it at the back as I can then chain my wrists to the front.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

EmmaTVEdinburgh wrote:
ponylady wrote:
lj wrote: a collar should allways be buckled in the back, not the front.
Out of interest, why do you say that? My collar has D rings on three "corners", and at the fourth it buckles.

I've had the buckle at the front and back without an issue, but do generally sleep with it at the back as I can then chain my wrists to the front.
Well, if the buckle is at the back then you cannot secure anything to the back of the collar. This is good because if you are forcing a collar against the front of your neck it's going to be likely that you get strangled.
*-> Zi's submissive Pon <-*
ydal

-Deleted-

Post by ydal »

-Deleted-
Last edited by ydal on 12 May 2014, 03:13, edited 1 time in total.
bobbi

Re: Collar safety

Post by bobbi »

The collar is 2” wide, so it is somewhat severe, but nothing compared to a posture collar.
severe? i wear my posture collar to bed every night :o should i not be :o
onestrangeguy

Re: Collar safety

Post by onestrangeguy »

solostill wrote:
severe? i wear my posture collar to bed every night :o should i not be :o
My guess is that it would keep your head back, and thus your throat open preventing snoring and something more severe like sleep apnia. Thus, I would argue it might be a good thing. If you havent had any problems so far gowith it. :hi: