Suspension closet

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
lbh_self_bond

Suspension closet

Post by lbh_self_bond »

Well, in all my years of doing selfbondage, the only thing that has ever alluded me is doing suspension, because I never had a place where suspension was possible.
Well, recently I have discovered that the clothes rod in my bedroom closet is actually sturdy enough to support my weight, so now I am tempted to attempt some suspension selfbondage there.
I was wondering if anybody has and tips, dos and don'ts, yes' and no's and whatnot about doing selfbondage with suspension.
"I should bind myself to life with invisible knots
that can not be untied by any man
and I should be forever bound
and forever free" - Lao-tsu, The Tao Te Ching
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

In general, solo suspension is not considered a safe activity. It's one of those things that if just one little tiny thing goes wrong, you're screwed and there's no one there to get you out of trouble. And you know how Old Man Murphy and his infamous law can get in the way.

If you must absolutely do it, think of these points:

- Do not overestimate the strength of any part of the suspension rigging, be it the rod, its mounting hardware, the walls, your ropes, etc. Make sure that the weakest link in the system can support at least twice your weight. Dead weight is nothing compared to a squirming, struggling, swinging sub that can put instantaneous loads of at least twice, or more, of his/her weight on the rigging. It's those jerking loads that are the real killers.
- Make sure nothing can ever get wrapped around your neck, even in the most improbable unintentional situation. If that happens, your goose is cooked.
- Put something thick and bouncy underneath you (like a mattress or a bed) to break your fall just in case something lets go (even in the unlikeliest case, like the clothes rod bending, or its supports ripping out of the walls).
- Don't suspend your weight from just one point of your body. Distribute the load over several points. The rope coil that is comfortable in regular bondage will become a circulation-cutter with your weight pulling on it. Think of Shibari suspension and of the multitude of ropes going from the sub to the suspension point, to distribute the weight.
- Another tip from Shibari is to use rope patterns that distribute the load over a large area of your body.
- Stay only a few inches off the floor in order to make your fall as short as possible, and orient yourself so the first part of your body that hits will be something that can take the bump. Your butt can't break any teeth.
- If you do fall, you may break one or more bones, dislocate a joint, sprain something, bump your head, etc., which will make your self-release extremely difficult if not impossible.

All that is why suspension bondage is always practiced with someone on hand monitoring the situation, ready to intervene if the sub shows any sign of undue distress or if the rigging fails. The ropework is also done by skilled riggers who know their craft and the limits of both the equipment and what the human body can handle.

Being a fan of Shibari, both suspended and not, I have some knowledge of what all that means. It looks awesome, feels totally mind-blowing, but it's so bloody dangerous that I'd rather have someone nearby to help me if anything goes wrong despite the precautions.

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
lbh_self_bond

Post by lbh_self_bond »

Eh, I don't think I'm gonna try it after all. Thanks for the insight, Jenny.
"I should bind myself to life with invisible knots
that can not be untied by any man
and I should be forever bound
and forever free" - Lao-tsu, The Tao Te Ching
Mc_ntk

Post by Mc_ntk »

lbh_self_bond wrote:Eh, I don't think I'm gonna try it after all. Thanks for the insight, Jenny.
Get a ladder and sit on the bar. I bet you it won't hold. The supports in the walls will rip out.
Shark

Post by Shark »

This is somewhat related. One time when I was 13 I was hanging on a rope swing I just made in my backyard I just hanging there. So I figured it was safe. so I climbed my tree to swing out I was just push off the branch and i here a loud crack and i fall about 15 feet and when I hit the ground I broke my Leg :( . i dont know what wade my mom come out the loud FUCK, OH MY GOD MY LEG, or the DAMN IT. O and I still have a piece of the bone The doctor had to take out of my leg.

PS Sorry if it is hard to read i am writeing this at 1:00 am
Amy_Tenchi

Post by Amy_Tenchi »

Shark wrote:PS Sorry if it is hard to read i am writeing this at 1:00 am
Understandable, so lemme get this straight... You climbed the tree, stood on a branch (not the branch with the swing) pushed off to swing and just fell? Ooh ouch... :(

My mom actually never liked me on rope swings...unless my cousin's weight couldn't break it :lol:
-Missing In Action-
--May or May Not Return--
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

The way I figure it, either the branch he was pushing off from broke, or the one the rope swing was hanging from broke, or the rope snapped. A swinging load exerts a lot more force than a stationary one.

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Shark

Post by Shark »

The rope was the one that broke.