Suspension Bondage Woes

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
Lotharjulz

Suspension Bondage Woes

Post by Lotharjulz »

Last edited by Lotharjulz on 30 Jul 2023, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
JIMDINI

Re: Suspension Bondage Woes

Post by JIMDINI »

:shock: Ouch! sounds terrifying. hope you are fully recovered soon. It certainly reinforces all the warnings about suspension bondage.

But, just out of curiosity, did the EMTs find you both still restrained or had every thing been removed before they arrived :?:
Never confuse your ambitions with your abilities. If you can't free yourself, who will?
When your helpless, you have no choice but to wait.
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

Ooof, I wish you a speedy recovery and fingers crossed for no permanent damage.
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
ruru67

Post by ruru67 »

Ouch!

I can't speak for your gear of course, but I have to say a lot of commercially available suspension cuffs I've seen scare the willies out of me. I got so peeved by commercial offerings that I made my own out of some very thick leather, with considerable thought put into how they should be constructed. Even then I'm itchy about how they're loaded.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Oh, dear! :shock:

I must thank you wholeheartedly for sharing your unfortunate accident here so others may be spared a similar - if not worse - fate.

Suspension bondage is an unforgiving activity and the least miscalculation can lead to injury or worse.

Be well, be safe, and I wish you a full recovery. :love:

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Lotharjulz

Post by Lotharjulz »

Last edited by Lotharjulz on 30 Jul 2023, 23:31, edited 4 times in total.
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

They certainly do make it look fun and easy at the professional studios, don't they?
I remember my event that almost cancelled self bondage forever for me. Hanging upside down, thankfully only 6 inches off the ground, the cable I used to hold me was a bicycle lock. The crimp that held the loop at the end loosened up and allowed the cable to slip through. What I will never forget is the way my view went 45 degrees to one side when I fell. I was so lucky not to be paralyzed, and feel no physical effects of it to this day. But I ain't never doing that again. Sounds like fun, feels like it would be fun, would love to do it, but no, never again.
Yes, I agree. If it had to go badly, a handicapped state is the absolute worst outcome I can think of. And having to explain to the people I would be forced to depend upon.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
Lotharjulz

Post by Lotharjulz »

Lotharjulz

Post by Lotharjulz »

ponylady

Post by ponylady »

Yeepers, lothar

Glad to hear you‘ll recover from that ordeal. That must have been scary & is something that
I would figure to pop up in dreams.

A speedy recovery for you & happy holidays for you & your SO.

I made your thread a sticky, since the inherent dangers in suspension play are often overlooked
[
bounddosster

Post by bounddosster »

That definitely gets an OMG!, what a horrible thing to happen. Personally I don't with suspension, to dangerous for my liking. If you ever get back into it I recommend you use some form of crash mat as a just in case back up. I hope your all well soon.
That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
ruru67

Post by ruru67 »

Lotharjulz wrote:I'm not sure I will be trying suspension play ever again as a result of this. Maybe if someone made some sort of steel reenforced cuffs I might consider it again.
I don't know about steel, but for suspensions, I believe when it comes to sizing the material is and how many fasteners to put in it, the word "overkill" should spring to mind...

That said I laugh all the time at riggers who go on about rated carabiners and lifting hardware, and then use it with bits of twisted vegetable matter. Seriously, jute fibres are about 150mm long or shorter by the time they're twisted into rope, and they're basically held together by a combination of friction and force of habit. It's impossible to rate natural fibre rope, and then when you use a carabiner or 10mm ring as a pulley, it stresses the rope in ways that break fibres and move them in the rope, so that thing you got away with 10 times may cause the rope to just snap on the 11th. Seen it happen (fortunately close to the floor). You have to think about the whole system - not just the static parts, but the dynamic loads, the wear characteristics and so-on. There's stuff going with this sort of play that folk really ought to be more scared about...
Lotharjulz

Post by Lotharjulz »

Attachments
s-l1600.jpg