High strappados

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
moptop

High strappados

Post by moptop »

I've been wondering if I could slowly condition my arms and shoulders to accept higher and higher strappados over a period of time if I went easily and gently. I was thinking that I could rig a hook from the overhead floor joists in the basement. From that I could suspend a chain that came down to say the middle of my back when standing upright. Then I could step up on a stable box or step ladder, cuff my hands behind, hook them to the chain and step down off the ladder. When/if it got too umcomfy, I could step back up and unhook. I was wondering if I could gradually take the links out of the hanging chain so that eventually my hands would end up way up higher than my head and my arms would be conditioned to accept that. Does anyone know if that would work?
LoRee
Retired Moderator

Post by LoRee »

OK moptop, I think I know what you are asking here. However, I was not familiar with the term you used so I looked it up on Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary and this is what I found:

Strappado
Pronunciation: stra-'pA-(")dO, -'pä-
Function: noun
Etymology: modification of Italian strappata, literally, sharp pull
: a punishment or torture in which the subject is hoisted by rope and allowed to fall its full length; also : a machine used to inflict this torture

Is this what you meant when you said "Strappado"? Or was I correct in thinking you only meant having your arms pulled up behind you while your wrists and/or armms were tied behind you? :shock: :roll:
If your answer is the former I can't help you, and think you are a true masochistic loon. I hope you enjoy your dislocated shoulders cause that's all your going to get out of that shit.
However, if it is the latter then I can help. Yes it is possible to a degree to increase the limberness in your arms that way. But like all gymnastic like exersices you MUST maintain a mentenance ritual or you WILL lose the limberness you so painfully worked to achieve.
Now most importantly you must exersice extreme caution in this practice least you end up with a dislocated shoulder or worse. What ever type of platform you decide to use must be fixed in place to insure you can get back up on it. A chair or step ladder are some of the poorest choices for a platform as the are easy to get off of as well as the easiest to knock over or pushed out of the way. And until you get to the degree of limberness you desire, it would not be a good idea to try to incorperate this into a selfbondage scenerio. It must also be remembered that no matter how well conditioned you are in assuming this position to limit the time you spend in it to no more than a couple of hours. That is because it is well documented that spending long periods of time, like in the half a day range or longer, can cause serious physical damage to some of your internal organs. I am NOT a physician so I can not explain the whys and wherefores. I have just read about the results of this method being used on prisoners as a diciplinary measure, :evil: :twisted: resulting in it's use being outlawed here in the U S. It has been quite a while since I've used that extreme a position in self bondage myself. Hummm :wink:
"I find it far more annoying when the universe makes me work for damnation. I prefer it just gave it to me and save me the effort"
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

Two points really (I am sure others will comment later)...

..1. Strappados, while they look really cool and sexy, are actually medieval torture positions, and are very unnatural postures to stay in, and extended periods in such a position I am guessing will cause considerable stress on the ligaments and muscles of the shoulders and arms, thus I do not reccommend trying to "train" yourself to go higher than is physically bearable.

..2. Since a strappado involves a position that is impossible to get out of without assistance from a partner I would not reccommend doing with out a partner to help you get back out, because what you cannot account for is say, the ladder falling over, or your arms getting tired, so even if you could step up onto the ladder, would you still have the strength to lift your arms over the hook? My guess is not, so you will need to plan carefully.

My advice if you are thinking of doing this is to use something stable like a wooden block, preferably a square block so that whichever way it falls or tumbles it will be the same height for you to step up to.

Also think about an ice release (ice in a stocking, over the hook?) that way if you find your arms are too tired to lift back over the hook at least you know your arms will fall free once the ice has melted.

Hope this helps

- ahh dammit beaten by LoRee...
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

Also for those that like pictures, wheres a couple of results from google images on the word "strappado".

Here's how we "hope" moptop is describing his scene....

Image was originally hotlinked from fetbot.com (via google image search):
http://www.fetbot.com/Articles/featured ... mis009.jpg
But to prevent hotlinking, I saved it and rehosted it on http://www.imageshack.us

And heres how we are NOT hoping moptop is decribing his scene...
....the subtle difference here is that below, the full weight of the body is held by the shoulders in a reverse lock.

Image originally hotlinked from bedroom bondage (via google image search):
http://www.bedroombondage.com/bondage/a ... KiByS1.jpg
But to prevent hotlinking, I saved it and rehosted it on http://www.imageshack.us

I have now idea who these people are I just got the images off google search, so if you are one of them, sorry.

Also for effect heres another image of the strappado being used in torture. Its a little bit big, hopefully not too big, if it is let me know I will try and do something with it.

Again, Image originally hotlinked, from inquisition.pp.ru (via google image search):
http://inquisition.pp.ru/gallery/torture-01.jpg
Last edited by curious_sb on 04 Jun 2006, 22:28, edited 5 times in total.
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
moptop

Post by moptop »

WOW, thanx guys for the feedback. I certainly am NOT talking about the medievel torture method. That WOULD be stupid. And I'm not THAT masochistic ........except maybe only in fantasy.

No the first photo in Curious_SB's post of the girl suspended from the door is about right. I've actually been tied in this position a few times in years past and it was quite uncomfortable but NOT unbearable. But I didn't stay up all that long either. Of course, those scenes were done with other people and not alone. So I'm at least somewhat familiar with the sensations. It is an extremely helpless feeling and that's why I'm attracted to it. It also makes the victim extremely vulnerable to a whipping but I don't have anyone to do that so it will have to wait. And really, that's a good thing because I should learn more before I place myself in an unwanted place.

I do think I will do a little experimenting in much moderation just to explore.

BTW, the middle photo appears to be a fake. It looks like the girl's shadow and the room's shadows are not quite lining up.
LoRee
Retired Moderator

Post by LoRee »

Gotta hand it to you curious_sb, a picture is worth a thousand words. And in fantasy I am a sick fuck that enjoys a good torture drawing. :twisted:

As for the second photo moptop, I don't know. I got an A in my architectural rendering class in school. I know how light can sometimes cast decietful shadows and highlights. The only things I noticed that may be amiss are arms seem like they should be pulled much further back than they are if she were barring her wight on them. Then the feet seem suspiciously too obcure for such a seemingly clear photo. Aside from that I see nothing wrong with the rest of the shadows or highlights in the photo.
"I find it far more annoying when the universe makes me work for damnation. I prefer it just gave it to me and save me the effort"
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

Thank you for a great post Curious-sb!

That second picture does look a bit suspicious around the feet’s, just as LoRee said earlier, There might have been some sort of support there that have been edited out.
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

Thanks guys, I am also not sure about those feet - may well be a photoshop - but then again I got them off google images so they could be fakes easliy, I have no idea, the main point being illustrating the difference between standing, and being hoisted up in a strappado. I imagine the pain must be emmense.
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
Mason

Post by Mason »

Last edited by Mason on 07 Mar 2020, 22:05, edited 1 time in total.
moptop

Post by moptop »

A number of years ago, I ran into an old girlfriend. I use the word "girlfriend" only to denote that she as a good friend and a girl but we never actually went steady or anything like that. I don't know why we never got married. I think it had something to do with the timing being off(whenever I was available, she wasn't and vice versa) but we were sure always the best of friends and most certainly outrageously attracted to each other. Anyway, my friend (her name was Diane) had just been cruelly dumped by her boyfriend. She had caught him sleeping around on her and he basically told her to hit the road....which hurt her feelings even more than just catching him cheating. So we went out and got a little drunk together and I let her cry on my shoulder and I tried to comfort her as best as I could. She started describing the things she'd do to him if she could to punish him for his unfaithfulness and being the bondage slave that I am, I offered to stand in for him. I told her that I would atone for his wrongs and I would trust her to draw the safety line remembering that we had always been close friends.

She took me up on my offer. After finding a private place, she tied my hands behind my back and threw the other end of the rope over a tree limb. Then she tied the loose end to the front bumper of the car and backed it up until I was standing in a high strappado on my tiptoes to keep from dislocating my shoulders. Next I got the most intense flogging I've ever had in my life.

In retrospect, I fully know that that could have gotten out of hand, but it didn't. Yes it did hurt but I learned a lot about myself that night. First, it felt good to be able to do this for her. It's hard to describe. And she certainly enjoyed it.

But at about the 4th or 5th stroke, I had an endorphin rush. I had always heard of these before but didn't know what people were talking about. Once the endorphins kicked in, everything she did felt good. When all was done, it turned out to be one of the most erotic things that I've ever experienced.

This is why I was asking about high strappados. I guess I've been trying to relive that night to some extent. I ran into Diane back in September of 2004 at a reception. She got married to a nice guy and had 3 nice kids. I told her that if he didn't treat her right and she needed to blow off some aggression she should give me a call. She got the biggest smile on her face and told me that that night that she flogged me had turned out to one of the most enjoyable things she'd ever done and there was rarely a day that went by that she didn't think of it.

Sadly, Diane got a bad case of the flu in December 2005. She went into the hospital and while she was there came down with pnuemonia and passed away. She was 42. I cried and cried. I should've married her when I had the chance ..... or I should have MADE the chance. Anyway, because of that experience, I've always had this facination with the strappado.
anna
Site Admin

Post by anna »

Thank you very much for a very personal story. I am truly sorry for your loss.
“Remember all the things you had rather than the things you could have had.â€
LoRee
Retired Moderator

Post by LoRee »

I am indeed sad at your loss, long ago though it may be. But your sad tale only goes to emphasis how much better it is to have someone to play with. It is rare that a person would prefer self bondage to interaction like you describe. Even if there was a reasonably inexpensive way of being whipped or spanked while in self bondage, it is still not as much fun to me. I would always prefer a play partner or more, to solo play. But as always, if someone won't do it with me or to me, I'll do it myself.
tyerrup

RE: High Strappados and the pictures

Post by tyerrup »

Just my two cents:

Regarding the "strappado": Yes, the strappado originated as a medieval torture. I believe during the Spanish Inquisition. Anyway, the true strappado means actually being suspended as shown in the torture picture as well as having weights hanging from the ankles. The intent being to dislocate the victim's shoulders causing excruciating pain and forciing them to talk.

Of course, it is actually possible for someone to be hung like this and even have weights hanging from their ankles and for their shoulders NOT to dislocate, BUT that person would have to be basically an Olympic-level gymnast in order to have the shoulder and arm strength to withstand the incredible force placed on the shoulders.

So in other words, we normal humans should NEVER have this done to us or do it to ourselves. By that I mean lifted clear of the ground.

It is all right to have your arms pulled up behind like that IF your feet stay FLAT on the ground if you are doing it to yourself. BUT if you get to the point where your arms are up and you are on tiptoe, then you risk your feet sliding out from under you and your body "falling" and your arms getting jerked VERY HARD! Suddenly your arms go numb at the least and at the worst you have popped one or both shoulders out of their sockets and then, if you haven't created a way for your arms to release reliably without your help you are stuck there either until someone finds you or you die. And you would definitely die in that position, most likely from a blood clot to the lungs, heart or brain.

So my advice is to simulate the effect by binding your wrists and simply bending over. And make sure that if you do slip, what connects you to the ceiling will break before you do!

By the way, I love the fact that you played into your friend's need to punish someone. I can say that there was definitely something preventing her from "coming back for more" as it were as she obviously enjoyed suspending and flogging you. I don't know what, but I feel that even though she died tragically, you helped her to move on after a terrible relationship and that she was given a fantastic gift in the form of her husband and three children. You more than likely made it possible for her because you helped rid of her of that hate and she was able to love someone else as a result. It sucks that it wasn't you but be grateful that you had such a good friend and that you were able to be there for her in a way that most family members are not even there for each other.
tyerrup

Strappado Pics

Post by tyerrup »

P.S.

Forgot to mention that the woman in the first "Strappado" picture is Artemis of ArtemisBound.com-read her website for her personal story, it is interesting. And the woman in the second picture is "Lorelei" AKA "Kristine Imboch" who used to be the Editor of a little magazine called "Bondage Life" and who also runs the website BedroomBondage.com.

Just FYI
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

Can you also tell us if you think teh second picture is a fake? We have been debating it for a while now
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator