Electrical Automatic Emergency Releases

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
Riddle

Electrical Automatic Emergency Releases

Post by Riddle »

Some of us have bondage contraptions that hold securely. Some of these things do not lend themselves to the usual Emergency Releases. However, I would hate for the local fire department to find me in medical restraints laying in bed while the smoke alarm is blaring. :rofl: :facepalm:

What if our bondage setup included Automatic Emergency Releases? Could this fill the gap between completely helpless and completely free to unlock the restraints? What conditions warrant the use of an emergency release? If we could design safety interlocks into our locking mechanism, we could guarantee release when needed.

What conditions warrant immediate release? May I suggest smoke, fire, carbon monoxide, and someone at the door.

Smoke detectors are mandatory anyway. Why not include them into the timer circuit or right before it? Kiddie brand wired smoke detectors (not sure about other brands) have an interconnect wire that signals to other detectors/announcers of an emergency. That signal is 9VDC on that wire (neutral would be the other wire). Using two resistors in series, that signal may be reduced to less than 5VDC for connecting directly to an Arduino or similar controller. With it that easy to include, why not? For more safety, a power-kill circuit could be designed that triggers off a signal greater than 5VDC. It could kill power to the entire bondage system and ensure immediate release. This would be $16-30 well spent.

For fire, the smoke detectors should release well enough, but additional safety devices may be desirable. A fire gives off heat and light. Monitor both and if one gets too high, immediately release. I am planning to use a temperature sensor ($2) with my next bondage controller.

Carbon monoxide may be a concern. Have an old furnace? You need one. Tent camping and worried about someone parking and idling their motor next to your tent? :rofl: :facepalm: In that case, you may want one. You can buy a smoke detector with built-in carbon monoxide detector for about $60. I plan to buy a stand-alone detector because the smoke/CO detectors do not have all the features that I want.

For someone at the door, we can investigate multiple options. The simplest is connect the door bell to the bondage timer. Need your feedback for this scenario.

Given these ideas, what do you think and will you consider them for yourself?
Resident timer maker. :hi:
Let’s make timers together!
BoundInKasugai

Re: Electrical Automatic Emergency Releases

Post by BoundInKasugai »

Those are great ideas! Personally I wouldn't care about someone being at the door, I just wouldn't answer and tell them I was tied up at work. Most likely I wouldn't be "properly" dressed to answer the door :mrgreen: The others would be interesting.

Hmm, I wonder if it would make sense to allow for an external (i.e. over the web) emergency release. But maybe that doesn't have much added value. Nevermind me...
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

As a few family members have a key I also have a movement sensor to release should someone come towards the bedroom, as well as a smoke detector and a digital timer plugged into a mechanical timer.
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

Smoke sensors suitable to connecting directly to an arduino exist (for instance see here or this list of mq series sensors. The MQ-135 seems to be the most interesting sensor, capable of detecting CO, smoke and some other nasty stuff. A temperature sensor is likely useless in case of a fire. By the time you detect a change in temperature you're already in big trouble.)
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

Gregovic wrote:Smoke sensors suitable to connecting directly to an arduino exist (for instance see here or this list of mq series sensors. The MQ-135 seems to be the most interesting sensor, capable of detecting CO, smoke and some other nasty stuff. A temperature sensor is likely useless in case of a fire. By the time you detect a change in temperature you're already in big trouble.)
Thank you for the feedback. You are probably correct about the temperature sensor. Will still include one just in case the room temperature goes out of bounds (too hot or too cold).
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

Riddle wrote: Will still include one just in case the room temperature goes out of bounds (too hot or too cold).
It is then best to place DHT22 Temperature and humidity sensor. Then you are also warned if a flood happens. :rofl:
PS: if you work with ropes, they can get blocked if the humidity in the room is too high. :wink:
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

kinbaku wrote:
Riddle wrote: Will still include one just in case the room temperature goes out of bounds (too hot or too cold).
It is then best to place DHT22 Temperature and humidity sensor. Then you are also warned if a flood happens. :rofl:
PS: if you work with ropes, they can get blocked if the humidity in the room is too high. :wink:
Thank you for the suggestion. I will have to test one out.
emax

Post by emax »

It is a great idea to create a small unit cutting electricity to a magnetic release in case of smoke. The drawback would be that it had to be placed on the ceiling and wires are running everywhere.

Anyway, if someone can build that, I would be happy to pay for a prototype. Please send a PM. Thanks
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

Welcome to Bound Anna, Emax. Evan with bluetooth technology, I still think a wired release would be better. My smoke detector has no problem detecting smoke at floor level. Incorporating that into the device with some sort of relay should not be too tricky.
Last edited by Shannon SteelSlave on 26 Jan 2021, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Put a thermal circuit breaker on the magnet - if it gets too hot, the circuit opens and the magnet is off.

Usually when smoke is detected, especially if the detector is at a distance, it's already a much bigger emergency. The best would be to mount the detector on the magnet itself. Less wires.

jm2c

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
kinbaku

Post by kinbaku »

Welcome emax.
It is best to provide an emergency stop: if your normal smoke detector in the room goes off, you can manually interrupt the power with a switch. It does limit the feeling of being tied, but rather 100 times 90% bondage than a few times 100% bondage but with the risk of dying. Everyone decides according to their own ability and how much risk they want to take.
I want to say: You just have to think about it and decide for yourself what you want. :hi: