Keep those keyed locks locked

Post your thoughts and ideas on safety here.
pavtron

Keep those keyed locks locked

Post by pavtron »

Keeping all your keyed locks locked until you play with them ensures you have a key to open it in the first place. Nothing like finding out the key fits... but doesn't open the lock.

I keep mine on a rope. ;)
Attachments
Locks On A Rope.
Locks On A Rope.
occorics

Re: Keep those keyed locks locked

Post by occorics »

pavtron wrote:Keeping all your keyed locks locked until you play with them ensures you have a key to open it in the first place. Nothing like finding out the key fits... but doesn't open the lock.

I keep mine on a rope. ;)
I do the same. I also leave the keys in, so I don't have to search for them before I want to play...
maid marta, Collared property of Domina Shelle Rivers and Lady Helena

https://twitter.com/ShellesPuppy
my blog: https://owned-by-princess-shelle.blogspot.com
my art: https://maid-marta.bdsmlr.com
lj

Post by lj »

My solution, several years back when I got into partnered kink was to buy 12 keyed-alike padlocks and bin all the rest.

All locks are tested before use, and every now and then given a small squirt of WD40, and any that seem difficult to open also get binned.

Of course that prevents the "find the key" scenarios - if deliberate, not so much fun if not!
be a switch, double the fun :-)
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

I have only used penetrating oils to free things that are frozen. (Not locks, thank goodness)
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

I find it interesting that WD40 is used as a penetrant or a lubricant, when it is a "WD", water displacement product (number 40). Using it as a lubricant (which it is not!) just makes things worse in the long run.

I heard this from a lady mechanic who does a radio show on Saturday morning here in my neck of the woods. I hear her complain about this regularly (I tend to believe her because of her profession and experience). To lubricate locks, use a drop or two of light oil like sewing machine oil or something like that.

jm2c...

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

For padlocks (and locks in general) it's often recommended to use a dry (powder) lubricant. Oils tend to get gunky after some time and hold gunk and grime in the lock. If you use a liquid lubricant make sure it's a light oil that doesn't dry out (a light ptfe spray works fine).

WD40 (The original stuff) shouldn't be relied on as a lubricant. It does work well to free up a gunked up lock, but after you get it moving, soak it in brake cleaner or a solvent of choice to clean it out, then lubricate with a proper oil.
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

Water Displacement Formulas 1 - 39 (And Preparations A - G) were complete failures. But after 40 tries, they invented a working water displacement formula, that removes moisture, but attracts stuff. PB Blaster is a good penetrating oil for freeing up rusty bolts, or whatever, but unreliable as a permanent lubricant.
Personally, I would never reuse a lock that got stuck or rusted. But to protect it from rusting, I would try Mercon Dexron 3 or higher automatic transmission fluid, which is essentially a 10-weight detergenated gear oil that will coat the moving parts, as well as clean out dirt, if you choose to flood and flush fluid through it. Motor oil would work, but is unlikely to flow into a lock. If you can't get these, then maybe you have a bottle of 3-in-1 oil laying around somewhere.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
ruru67

Post by ruru67 »

Gregovic wrote:For padlocks (and locks in general) it's often recommended to use a dry (powder) lubricant. Oils tend to get gunky after some time and hold gunk and grime in the lock. If you use a liquid lubricant make sure it's a light oil that doesn't dry out (a light ptfe spray works fine).
That's what I've always understood, and what I got (graphite powder lubricant) when looking for "lock lube". But my partner went looking for same and got given a "lock lube" that was an oil. Shrug Still, graphite is my go-to.

Re WD-40: https://www.wd40.com/history/

I love the fact that company was set up to do one thing: make a water displacement formula for aerospace applications (specifically, the Atlas ICBM; the company was originally called the Rocket Chemical Company). Even now, the WD-40 company has a very small holding of product companies that do related stuff besides the core WD-40 product.